Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking at a AMT Automag iii but do not know too much about them as far as quality. Also is $1,300 a decent price for one with no box? I’m watching videos and reading what I can but there just isn’t a whole lot of info. It will strictly be a range toy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,805 Posts
Quality varies wildly on AMT's. AMT sort of fell apart in QC towards the end, so I'd want to be able to handle and inspect, personally, any AMT product I was considering. Good AMT's are solid pieces that performed well above their price point. Bad ones from right at the end are barely decent parts guns.

We got a NEW Automag II (.22 mag) (arrived from a distributor NEW, not off the street claiming to never have been fired new) in the shop I where was working during that time that couldn't fire because of an obvious issue with the safety. The safety was put into the gun but had never been finished. There was a bit of metal sticking out that blocked the hammer from reaching the firing pin. That wasn't the only issue we had from AMT, just the one that stuck in my mind. Sort of like the stainless Springfield 1911 that an another distributor shipped ups that had a defective grip safety. Some things stick in your head.

If you shoot it indoors, wear muffs AND ear plugs. .30 Carbine from that short of a barrel is brutal indoors.

·
Registered
36,893 Posts
Auto Mag III is the 30 carbine , right??
interesting gun and caliber.
as mentioned already it just depends on the particular gun in question, and just for me I would like to have one but not at anywhere near that price, especially without the box and docs and such. but they may be worth that to some.
AMT was an innovator with a lot of new ideas and practices, some were good, some were not.
should be a hell of a cartridge out of that handgun IF it works as designed.

Reactions: bobbojama

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
I have an AutoMag III in 30cal carbine. I bought it new many years ago. Mine had feed issues at first, but was able to work through them and the gun runs flawlessly. It is a blast (literally) at the range. Huge Fire Ball and a report you feel in your chest! I always get the "What the heck was that" question after the first mag. The gun is accurate beyond my ability to shoot it.
DSCI1246.JPG
DSCI1249.JPG

·
Registered
36,893 Posts
And, in case you haven't heard the OG AutoMag is coming back.

The New AutoMag
Interesting, but I really wonder why they wouldn't chamber it in the 10 MM or the 44 mag instead of the wildcat 44 auto mag cartridge?
I am sure they can get a manufacturer to load some rounds for them but man I bet they are going to be expensive and hard to find with the (assuming) very limited number of production in factory ammo.
I guess they want it to be like the original chambering?
IF memory serves the cases for the 44 AM cartridge are made from 308, 30-06, 270 rifle cases?

Reactions: slong115

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Selling my Automag III was a decision that haunts me to this day. One of those deals where to buy a new gun I had to sell one of mine. Dumb on my part. That pistol was a "hoot to shoot". Yeah, recoil and muzzle blast were memorable. Mine was bought brand new and was very reliable. New, it only cost me $479. When I sold it I had no idea what they were actually selling for. Ran an ad in the paper and had a dozen calls from people that absolutely wanted it.

I made up for it years later by getting a Coonan .357 which is a lot like the AMT. A hoot to shoot with recoil and muzzle blast included. The AMT's were pretty rough around the edges but the Coonan's are very well executed. My advice? Buy a Coonan for about the same price.

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
Interesting, but I really wonder why they wouldn't chamber it in the 10 MM or the 44 mag instead of the wildcat 44 auto mag cartridge?
I am sure they can get a manufacturer to load some rounds for them but man I bet they are going to be expensive and hard to find with the (assuming) very limited number of production in factory ammo.
I guess they want it to be like the original chambering?
IF memory serves the cases for the 44 AM cartridge are made from 308, 30-06, 270 rifle cases?
Starline has brass. I'm sure 99% of the people interested in one of these would be reloaders. The rimmed .44 Mag does not work well in magazines.

·
Registered
36,893 Posts
Starline has brass. I'm sure 99% of the people interested in one of these would be reloaders. The rimmed .44 Mag does not work well in magazines.
True, but then again they said the same for the 38 Super didn't they?(semi rimmed)
the price/ availability of the ammo to me is a limiting factor, course many will want it due to Clint and the movies and just as a put up and never shoot gun.
its a wicked looking weapon, always was.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts