Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apart from the 9mm I use in my Taurus (I go through about 50 rounds an hour when at the range), I go through an incredible quantity of 22LR when shooting. I can easily shoot 300 or more rounds of 22 an hour.

Thank goodness it's only $24 or less in bulk for a 500 round box of stuff like Remington Thunderbolt or it would bankrupt me if I was shooting that amount from an AR type rifle!!!!

·
Administrator
40,374 Posts
.22 is just plain fun. I tend to shoot quite a bit myself.:thumb:

·
Administrator
35,627 Posts
I was walking through Academy looking for something completely unrelated and I almost fell over when I walked by the end cap, they not only had a ton of 22 LR there, with no limits on purchase, but for the first time in close to 5 years I found some CCI Stingers ! I grabbed four boxes and if they have any more this week, I'll buy at least 4 more. My wife's Sig Mosquito loves the stuff and will fire it all day long.

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
Both my Heritage RR and Moss 715T handle Thunderbolt no problem. The Academy near me and the Walmart both regularly carry it in stock. They are also less than a mile from each other and right on my way to work so I just compare online and run by and get whichever is cheapest.

Reactions: bjrichus

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
I pretty much stick to my 9mms when I go to the range and have all my mags loaded when i get there, ~300 rounds. All are empty when I leave +another 200 in most cases. worst case 500 rounds per hour.. If i bring one of the grand kids along I'll pack my 22s, but I only have mag capacity for about 100 rounds, and and a lot of time is spent loading mags. We probably only run through 250 rounds of 22 in an hour.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was walking through Academy looking for something completely unrelated and I almost fell over when I walked by the end cap, they not only had a ton of 22 LR there, with no limits on purchase, but for the first time in close to 5 years I found some CCI Stingers ! I grabbed four boxes and if they have any more this week, I'll buy at least 4 more. My wife's Sig Mosquito loves the stuff and will fire it all day long.
That's where I tend to buy my 500 round boxes of Thunderbolts. Even with tax added, it's no more expensive than adding shipping to most of the online vendors costs, unless I want to spend several hundred dollars at a time...

Meh. I'll need another ammo can (or two) if I do that. :)

·
Super Moderator
40,649 Posts
It is nothing for the kids and I to go through a brick of .22lr in a single range trip. The AR in .22lr has to 25 round magazines that get loaded before we even head out. That is half a brick right there. I'm just glad I can find it for under $20 before tax again. I am slowly rebuilding my stocks from the very long dry spell we saw down here.

Reactions: darbo

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
Funny, I go to the range for two or three hours and I don't go through more than 300 rounds. It's an outdoor range so sometimes there's a cease fire, sometimes not, depending on whether or not somebody else shows up. It's closer to two hours if I'm alone, more like three if there's a couple of other parties there.

You could always try shooting slower......just sayin'.....

·
Registered
18 Posts
I can shoot 50-100 .22LRs when I go, it's good practice, training, and fun. Since I've settled on revolvers for .22LR to avoid feed issues, it's been much less frustrating. I still get a dud round every 1-2 boxes that needs a second or third primer strike, but even Thunderbolts are worthy to shoot.

·
Registered
32,205 Posts
I think all of us enjoy shooting .22. It was for most of us the first caliber we shot other than air-rifles.
As a kid, I did a lot of rabbit hunting, a lot of anything that moves hunting, and until my mid 30's, spotlighting jack rabbits out in wheat fields.

Although in the term of our worst president ever, I was able to sell Mini-Mags at $0.28 per round at one point on gun broker, here we are back at $0.04 per round on bulk .22, and the Mini-mags have dropped to $.07 a round.

Considering at age 9 when I began buying .22 ammo, it was $0.01 per round, and today is back at $0.04 per round, .22 ammo has had the least amount of inflation of any consumer product most of us touch. A two-bedroom home that sold new for $7,000 in the mid fifties, will now bring over $100,000 in most markets, and more in some, less in others. Consider what a nicely equipped car sold for in the mid 50's and what the cost is today.

When I go to the range, (dang, it has been a long time) I usually shoot my centerfire first, and then finish up my range trip with .22 which becomes much more relaxing of a way to finish up at the range. Others may start out with .22 and and then go to centerfire.

I have recently completed a major rennovation to a home I sold, and am free from that property whch took a lot of my week end time for nearly 8 months, and finally have my weekends free, so I see a lot of range time in my future. And, I do have a pretty good surplus of .22 ammo that is beginning to show a little age, and does need to be shot before it spoils. Gardening is relaxing, shooting something, anything, is fun. :)

Reactions: bigC and darbo

·
Registered
47 Posts
It's nice to be able to find, shoot, and enjoy 22LR again. Hell, it wasn't too long ago (6 years ago i guess) that when it was no where to be found, I remember being shocked at seeing people willing pay/bid $80+ a brick when it came up for auction. I'm so glad those days are currently in the past. Hopefully they never return.

Reactions: MisterNoisy

·
Super Moderator
35,452 Posts
.223 is as cheap as .22 mag and a heck of a lot easier to find. :D

I shoot .45ACP as cheap as .22 by reloading and casting my bullets. I load for .38, .357, .45ACP, .45 Colt, 9x19, 9x18, .380ACP, and a bunch of rifles.

·
Super Moderator
20,059 Posts
It's nice to be able to find, shoot, and enjoy 22LR again. Hell, it wasn't too long ago (6 years ago i guess) that when it was no where to be found, I remember being shocked at seeing people willing pay/bid $80+ a brick when it came up for auction. I'm so glad those days are currently in the past. Hopefully they never return.

^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^

New shooters will never remember when you could get a brick of 350-500 rounds for $5-$8/brick; they will think it an old timers fantasy myth.

·
Super Moderator
35,452 Posts
I put off buying a Ruger for years. Then, at a gun show 15 years ago, I broke down and bought one. I wanted something accurate.

I never got into conversions of CF weapons. I coulda bought a .22LR conversion for my little Kel Tec P11, but I got a Ruger SR22 instead.

Reactions: daytonaredeye

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
It is nothing for the kids and I to go through a brick of .22lr in a single range trip. The AR in .22lr has to 25 round magazines that get loaded before we even head out. That is half a brick right there. I'm just glad I can find it for under $20 before tax again. I am slowly rebuilding my stocks from the very long dry spell we saw down here.
I can just imagine what your reserve is going to look like in a couple years after having gone through the long drought you had down there!

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Funny, I go to the range for two or three hours and I don't go through more than 300 rounds. It's an outdoor range so sometimes there's a cease fire, sometimes not, depending on whether or not somebody else shows up. It's closer to two hours if I'm alone, more like three if there's a couple of other parties there.

You could always try shooting slower......just sayin'.....
Whaaaaat!? :)

Actually that's one of the things I like most about my Savage bolt action .22. I feel like I shoot a bunch but it's not really a lot. It just slows things down in a good way.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
I bring a 500+ count box with me every time I go to the range. Sometimes I bring some back.

To be fair, I usually show up at 10 and leave at 4. I treat range trips like going to the local bar - I'm there to shoot, but also there to just hang out and chat and peoplewatch.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts