Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SOURCE: Ammunition for the 21st Century ? The PolyCase Ammunition Way

Ammunition for the 21st Century – The PolyCase Ammunition Way Posted on January 9, 2015 by Ammoland

PolyCase-Ammunition-ARX-Ammunition.jpg
PolyCase Ammunition ARX Ammunition

LIST OF POLYCASE VIDEOS ON YOUTUBE, INCLUDING BALLISTIC GELATIN TESTS: https://www.youtube.com/user/polycaseammo

Savannah, GA --(Ammoland.com)- 150 years ago hunters and shooters sat around campfires employing the time honored process of casting bullets for use during the next day’s outing.

Fast forward to 2015, that casting process of old has evolved into the PolyCase Ammunition way – a proprietary, technically advanced and fully automated injection-molded process.

Over the last five years Paul Lemke and JC Marin, along with the PolyCase Ammunition team, have tirelessly worked to develop this innovative technology that delivers accurate, lightweight, and reliable ammunition free of lead and the grey waste and heavy metal waste streams present with traditional manufacturing methods.

Founded by Lemke and Marin, the Savannah, Georgia based PolyCase Ammunition cut its proverbial teeth producing injection-molded precision parts from cutting-edge materials.

Lemke, a retired Army Ranger, had seen first-hand the need for smarter ammunition–from soldiers on the battlefield to civilian shooters and Law Enforcement personnel–and recognized the inherent possibilities present in the injection-molding process.

“From Formula One engine parts to ammunition, we are a precision injection molding company at heart,” said Lemke.

“Because we are approaching ammunition from a different angle, and own and control the research, development, prototyping, testing and manufacturing processes from the drawing board up to the finished product, we are able to carefully consider and determine all aspects of how our products are made to how they function.”

Using a proprietary lead-free copper alloy with a high-tensile strength nylon binder, PolyCase Ammunition Cu/P bullets and cartridges reduce weight, eliminate corrosion and cost less than traditional ammunition, and stand as a true game changer in a 140-year-old industry that has shown little innovation in manufacturing methods.

PolyCase-Ammunition-FIREFLY-Tracer-Ammunition.jpg
PolyCase Ammunition FIREFLY Tracer Ammunition

Environmental concerns and the proposed regulation of lead-based ammunition continue to dominate fireside conversations, shooting benches and legislative chambers while the calls for safe, non-toxic ammunition grow ever louder.
PolyCase Ammunition provides discerning individuals effective, reliable, accurate and lightweight, lead-free alternative ammunition for the 21st century.
For more information and to view the entire product line visit: www.polycaseammo.com

PolyCase Ammunition is an injection molding company located in Savannah, Georgia. Veteran-owned and operated, PolyCase develops, manufactures, markets and sells premium, patent-pending, injection-molded affordable small arms ammunition products to sportsmen and Law Enforcement professionals. Made in the USA, using over ninety years of collective advanced design, materials and manufacturing experience; PolyCase brings technologically advanced, yet affordable ammunition options to the shooting public. For additional information, visit www.polycaseammo.com.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Test of POLYMER CASED PolyCase .380 in a TAURUS TCP:

Published on Nov 16, 2014
As PolyCase Ammunition prepares to take the polymer-cased .380 with Cu/P(tm) bullet to market, we are conducting functions and other tests using multiple firearms in several locations (including our R&D and testing facility in Barcelona, Spain). This video shows a functions test of PolyCase .380 Auto 56 gr ARX polymer-cased pistol ammunition using a Taurus TCP. We have been and will continue to fire thousands of cartridges of this ammunition through a wide variety of handguns as part of the Testing and Evaluation phase of product development for this cartridge.

·
8,545 Posts
Very interesting - would be pretty easy to change up bullet weight , trajectory, etc.. using their process. Only concern I have is the poly fouling the barrel.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I would worry more about a lack of penetration.
They copper/poly mix can't have the weight of lead or even steel. Less weight = less down-range energy = less penetration.

I'm also curious about expansion and stopping power.
You could make a bullet out of dried, compressed mashed potatoes too, but I doubt it would be very effective.
Still, I'd like to try some of these.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They copper/poly mix can't have the weight of lead or even steel. Less weight = less down-range energy = less penetration.

In the original post is a link to the YouTube library from the company. There are a bunch of gelatin block tests showing the terminal performance of the light bullets.

Sent from my Huawei Phablet using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,468 Posts
I bet them taters would sting though.:)

It is a really interesting idea, We have to think past the era of lead and steel. We have plastic guns, so why not plastic ammo?

You could make a bullet out of dried, compressed mashed potatoes too, but I doubt it would be very effective.
Still, I'd like to try some of these.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
14,957 Posts
And I just invested in precious metals.

Always the bridesmaid, never the bride

Reactions: Deadheadfred

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
My LGS has boxes of the Polycase 380s. I thought about picking up a box or two, but wanted to check the reviews first. Seems like the stuff performs well. Maybe I will pick up a couple of boxes.

·
Registered
29,905 Posts
The photos appear to show a hybrid polymer/copper projectile (read bullet) in a brass case.

So why is it called poly-case?

High velocities at very close range defensive distances is a good thing; so maybe they're on to something.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I love the idea of alternative sources of ammo. But at $1 a round, I'll pass. Figure out a way to give me 9mm target ammo for $5 a box, & I'm all in. Wouldn't care what they're made of.

·
Super Moderator
19,746 Posts
Gonna ressurect this thread. Just read the review article in the latest issue of Guns & Ammo magazine (June 2015) and it looks like a very unusual round but with a unique operating system. The flutes on the nose if the bullet act like a propeller - displace air rearward and gain some speed. Available in numerous calibers now so I do plan to give them a tryout - why not?

My biggest question is if it DOES NOT expand, will it remain in the target and expend its energy or will it have enough velocity to pass through.

Polycase Ammunition

·
Registered
36,319 Posts
I love the idea of alternative sources of ammo. But at $1 a round, I'll pass. Figure out a way to give me 9mm target ammo for $5 a box, & I'm all in. Wouldn't care what they're made of.
Well I give myself 9 MM ammo for bout $6.25 per box of 50, course its not very accurate!-----:bang:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I have my eye on them when the 357sig becomes available!

·
Registered
27,337 Posts
One of our members has been kind enough to test them for you:

Reactions: daytonaredeye

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
The photos appear to show a hybrid polymer/copper projectile (read bullet) in a brass case.

So why is it called poly-case?

High velocities at very close range defensive distances is a good thing; so maybe they're on to something.
From their website: The only caliber available in the "PolyCase" is the .380 ACP. They go on to say: The PolyCase ARX combines cutting-edge lightweight, low-friction polymer cartridge cases with the ARX(™) Self-Defense projectile – The NEXT Generation of Self-Defense Technology.

My over-priced LGS has scads of this ammo in stock. The "Inceptor" line is being touted as "loaded to SAAMI specifications in high-quality brass cases."

I am tempted to buy a box of .380 for my S&W BG380.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts

Picked up a box from my LGS. He's been trying to get me to buy this. Will test in my BG380.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 32 Posts