Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Ammo!

5K views 46 replies 26 participants last post by  SleepyJoe 
#1 ·
I stopped at the shop that sold me my 856 recently. They had cases of ammo that had just come in. There was a case of Blazer Brass 38spl, 125grFMJ. It was priced at $25.99/box.
I'm hoping that this is a good sign about ammo availability in the near future. Don't worry, I didn't buy it all.

#3 ·
Academy has had more and more showing up on their shelves. It used to be you had to be their at 8:00am and wait till they opened. Now the shelves are a little fuller.

#4 ·
Yeah i was in Academy Thursday and they had bunches of 9mm in various brands brass and aluminum. Seems like the prices were from $19 to $24 for 50 count boxes. But- I was looking for 380.

edit: The guy behind the counter in the gun section told me they put it out before they open on M-W-F. It's out on the shelf now, not behind the counter.

#22 ·
I never did either and by now, you certainly won't. Ours has a section with 6 or 8 gun safes and safe accessories, air rifles, hunting supplies, targets and so on. That's where they had the ammo in a glass-doored case about 2' by 2', so not a big supply anyway. As I said, it was pre-Covid.

#10 ·
380, 38 special, and 9mm all use small pistol primers. 9mm are high priority manufacturing and many LE do use and some agencies returned to 9mm from 40S&W. So they always have a dedicated line run versus the other mentioned. Also their are only 4 manufacturers of primers in the US. CCI is one...who obviously make Blazer. Remington will be more scarce until up to full operation. Personal and small production company loads and reloads are controlled by that constriction first. 8 million first time gun owners in 2020 with no previous stock of ammo on hand didn't help. The never ending perfect hollow point will pop up a bit as some major players are retiring some loads to their latest ballistics and the government contracts they secure. It's still a hoarder market where anyone in the right place, at the right time, especially with a buyer of range ammo and flips it. I'm glad to hear someone paying lower. A common technique at the moment of gun shops is always have a couple boxes of ammo for a gun sale and not willing to part with much otherwise locally. Make friends with a die hard reloader.

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk

#14 ·
380, 38 special, and 9mm all use small pistol primers. 9mm are high priority manufacturing and many LE do use and some agencies returned to 9mm from 40S&W. So they always have a dedicated line run versus the other mentioned. Also their are only 4 manufacturers of primers in the US. CCI is one...who obviously make Blazer. Remington will be more scarce until up to full operation. Personal and small production company loads and reloads are controlled by that constriction first. 8 million first time gun owners in 2020 with no previous stock of ammo on hand didn't help. The never ending perfect hollow point will pop up a bit as some major players are retiring some loads to their latest ballistics and the government contracts they secure. It's still a hoarder market where anyone in the right place, at the right time, especially with a buyer of range ammo and flips it. I'm glad to hear someone paying lower. A common technique at the moment of gun shops is always have a couple boxes of ammo for a gun sale and not willing to part with much otherwise locally. Make friends with a die hard reloader.

Ah, that explains why .380 is so hard to find, still. Many other calibers are in supply and prices are trending downward, but .380 is still very elusive.

#11 ·
Sleepy Joe, making friends with an experienced reloader might not help. Reloading supplies are as difficult to obtain as the factory ammo since most components are made by the major ammunition manufactures. Reloaders are not at the top of the food chain for components and suffer along with completed ammo buyers.

#13 ·
Pro's and con's of unpopular calibers...

When the rush on ammo starts, it's usually what remains on the shelf the longest.

However.....

When manufacturing starts catching up they're usually the last rounds to get made and restocked.

Reactions: PTDOUDE
#15 ·
I can't afford ammo anymore. I need a sport that doesn't use consumbables. Maybe golf... nah, the way I play, balls would be a consumable. Skiing... nah, ankles would be a consumbable.
At least I can still afford guitar strings. For now.

#17 ·
I resisted the temptation to purchase a box of .22 WMR at Walmart today, a box of 50 for $12.97 in Winchester. I don't have a .22 WMR firearm, but a friend of mine does. I decided he probably hadn't shot a single shell of the 4 boxes of Mini Mags I purchased for him right after Sandy Hooks, so I left them at Walmart for the next guy.

I really don't see the ammo situation improving until a Conservative administration takes the helm.

Reactions: Woody USSLUCE
#25 ·
Even $26 a box is still ridiculous. I haven’t purchased ammo since 2019. Walmart stopped selling handgun calibers and put everything on clearance. I bought 1000’s of rounds of 9mm, 40, 45, 38spl and 44 mag. Already had thousands in each caliber prior. As an example Walmart had 38spl for $11 a box. 9mm at $7. 45 hp’s in 100 round box at $18. 40 at $9 a box. I’d stop into 3 different Walmarts a few days A week and buy what was available. Glad I did. They just kept lowering the prices. Bought up a bunch of bricks of 22 as well. I shouldn’t have to buy ammo for years.

#44 ·
Since we're completely off topic...would that be the same 7.62mm the Taliban runs with? Anyone see the photoshop pic of Biden giving the love nuzzle on the propaganda Taliban photo with the AK center table? I'm gonna get a flamethrower...before gas is illegal.

Where do they get their ammo? Who runs their electric, water etc companies. Anyone know?

#30 ·
Yay! Went to the lgs today to see what I might find. What I found were full ammo shelves. And I mean just about anything I looked for was available. Maybe not at great prices, but available. Even had the center aisle lined up with cases of bulk ammo. Didn't look for shotshells, but they were probably there too. I picked up 80 rounds of 5.56 Winchester green tips for $14.99/20.

#31 ·
Biden just banned the import of Russian manufactured firearms and ammo effective September 7, 2021. Expect the prices of all ammo to rise as a result. Wolf and Barnul have been the most abundant during the current shortage.

• Angry
#36 ·
so how much 45 GAP, 357 Sig, 38 Super, and 41 magnum ammo did they have in stock?
asking for a friend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.