Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just trying to get some insight on the best ammo for stopping power. I mean there are many to choose from.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
In this case Google is your friend. Mountains have been written on the topic and it would actually be a dis service if someone was to pretend to know shat was best for you, your gun, your budget, your shooting habits etc. If you have a more focused question or a particular load that you want to know more about real world experience DO post that up. Otherwise your question should be more like " who can point me to some sources where I can learn about ammo and stopping power that might be a good match for my needs. In that case try the Ballistics 101 website - it's a concise list of some basic performance metrics of a lot of ammo on today's market and a good, informative browse!!

your caliber(s)???

·
Registered
281 Posts
Lots of variables.
Caliber.. large caliber FMJ can penetrate more, to the point of a through and through which endangers others behind the BG.
Weather If you live in Yankeeland heavy coats and layers can slow penetration. Summer in Florida is T-shirt weather which won't slow a mosquito.
Barrel length effects FPS which again effect penetration and force at impact.
Bullet weight will also effect FPS and impact power and penetration.
So you have to figure caliber, barrel length, needed penetration. and that may even vary from Winter to Summer depending on how cold or hot.
Me, in Florida any JHP works for me for the carry load and FMJ for target. I only needed 2 boxes of each caliber of the JHP. 1 to run through the weapon to check for any problems with the round working and one to use to load for carry.
The calibers I carry are gonna hurt big time. Heck, even a placed 380 round can stop a BG. ( might take a few rounds if drugged out ) I don't plan of pulling the trigger on more than 4yds if I can help it but I do practice further just in case I need to defend someone else at a further range. ( Or the BG has a buddy shooting at me from further ).

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Just trying to get some insight on the best ammo for stopping power. I mean there are many to choose from.
More explanation please of what you expect to stop and with what. .22LR's for tree rats or .500 nitro express for raging bull elephants.....

Hunter 2.gif

Reactions: btleslie

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I have a compact 40 I want to be able to put someone on their back if entering my house. I've looked all over the Internet right I have just ball ammo 180gr reload. I wanna make when I shoot that they will not be standing even if they are drugged. Anyone who is trying to take my right and god given freedom from me. I live in ga and the crime is picking up a bit in my area. I don't wanna shoot someone I side from in my house if I can help it.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
I shoot 180 fmj for competition but I use 155 or 165 jhp (Hornady) for 40 S&W SD loads. I load my own (pretty hot 1150 - 1200 fps) and have a 4.49" barrel that helps me get there. Have a look at the ballistics 101 website for brand name loads in 40 - it will list fps and muzzle energy. The spread may suprise you. 40 is. Good SD load used by MANY LEOs. Have a look at the numbers and try a FEW to see what you and your gun like.

·
Registered
8,801 Posts
The myriad choices of SD ammo is mind boggling. You can buy 20, 25 or 50, depending on brand for about $27. IMHO any JHP that will feed and fire in your weapon will do just fine if placed in proper location in a bad guy. I have used .40 Win Bonded PDX1 165gr JHP (20 rd. box) and Win WB 180gr JHP Personal Protection (50 rd. box) - both roughly same cost, and no doubt in my mind they will both do the job intended with extreme prejudice. Again, if it will cycle through your weapon, let your wallet be the judge.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Many of us have spent years studying this question. Bottom line, if the ammo cycles in your gun and you can hit what you are aiming at (assuming your aiming at the right spots) any reputable JHP ammo in 40 caliber (or most any other round) will do. Shoot what you feel most comfortable with. Don 't forget to take into consideration the speed/accuracy of a second, third, fourth shot. To some extent the particular round you choose will impact on that consideration...that is why a lot of people like the 9mm.

There are threads on this board that address this issue.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone I will definitely get a few and give them a try. I've shot a lot in the army but I just wanted some knowledge on ammo because there is so many different rounds and grades. This forum and all the people on here are the best. So now I have a little bit of homework to do and a lot of time in the range. Me and my new PT140 will be studying. Anything else I need to know or understand?

Reactions: mingaa

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In this case Google is your friend. Mountains have been written on the topic and it would actually be a dis service if someone was to pretend to know shat was best for you, your gun, your budget, your shooting habits etc. If you have a more focused question or a particular load that you want to know more about real world experience DO post that up. Otherwise your question should be more like " who can point me to some sources where I can learn about ammo and stopping power that might be a good match for my needs. In that case try the Ballistics 101 website - it's a concise list of some basic performance metrics of a lot of ammo on today's market and a good, informative browse!!

your caliber(s)???
I understand I will look that up as soon as I get home.

·
Registered
8 Posts
There is no general "best ammo". First it has to feed in your gun, each and every time. Then it has to hit your target, preferably each and every time. Expansion, in my opinion, is a good thing. I like to test expansion from my gun in a variety of things. Water, soaked phone books, joint (drywall) compound. None of these do anything other than give a vague idea as to expansion from my gun.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Yeah Corey - make a short list of what you want to try - then see what you can get your hands on. 9 is a wasteland but 40 especially in Sd rounds is a little better hunting. Pick a range where you can rapid fire so you can really find out what that follow-up shot(s) is like. With a short barrel bullet speed might be a bit less than some of the published numbers. Some makers DO have short barrel (you usually se "SB" somewhere in the the product code. These use faster powders that will burn completely before the bullet leaves the barrel for max effectiveness. Lucky Gunner and SG Ammo are places on line where I have seen some ammo popping up more frequently - call Walmart before going there and don't write off your LGS (some will be pricey) lots of people give up too quickly or don't know their own town as well as they think they do. I've been finding thousands of primers in my region but NOT at Cabelas or Bass pro if you catch my drift!! Good luck and please post results of what you learn!

Reactions: aphdmansoc

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here's a great article I like to use as a reference for selecting SD ammo:

Ammunition For The Self-Defense Firearm

As you scroll down the page, you'll see recommendations by caliber/guage for handguns, shotguns, and rifles based mainly on stopping power, reliability, and accuracy. Some of the recommendations are handgun specific.

·
Registered
36,775 Posts
I have a compact 40 I want to be able to put someone on their back if entering my house. I've looked all over the Internet right I have just ball ammo 180gr reload. I wanna make when I shoot that they will not be standing even if they are drugged. Anyone who is trying to take my right and god given freedom from me. I live in ga and the crime is picking up a bit in my area. I don't wanna shoot someone I side from in my house if I can help it.
HMMM? well basically take that lil wimpy 40 Cal and get yourself a 12 gauge shotgun!
I mean that will come about as close as anything that I can think of to putting someone on thier back!
prjectiles by thier very nature of using a small diameter projectile moving at fast speed generally pentrate and don't have enough sectional density or girth to knock anyone on their back.
as for the best self defense round?
well as other have said,
1) the round must work 120% of the time in YOUR gun.
2) Pick a modern design hollow point that has penetration and expansion controlled in its design.
3) see which blimp that you like the looks of best!
the winchester blimp, the remington blimp, ot the federal blimp, because actually all the modern self defense rounds are about equal in performance across the board.
Bullet placement is much more important than what a balistic test will show in a piece of gelatin.
Welcome to the forum!

Reactions: mingaa

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I have no preference to SD rounds. Pick a good one that works for your weapon. Either be Hornady, Winchester, Remington, Speer, Federal, etc.

Personally here's what I use:

.40 S&W - Winchester Silvertips and Federal Hydrashok
.45 ACP - Federal Hydrashok
.38 SUPER - Winchester Silvertips
.38 SPL +P - Remington Golden Saber 125gr JHP
.357 MAG - Speer Gold Dot 135gr JHP Low Flash
.44 SPL - CCI Blazer 200gr JHP(Same as the Speer Gold Dot 200gr but cheaper).

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I agree, it's all about what your particular gun likes, and consistently feeds, the best.
For my 709, I like 124-gr period, regardless of brand.
Here in north Texas, I usually carry either Hornady Critical Defense in winter (because of the polymer filler in the HP), and Speer Gold Dot in warmer weather.
That is all subject to price and availability - If the CD is cheaper, I will buy that. Speer is usually the pricier of the bunch. That being said, Federal Hydra Shock, Cor-Bon, or any of the other brands of SD ammo will do the job if your shot placement is good.
I've run several different kinds through my carry piece, and it seems to like it all so far.

·
Registered
29,957 Posts
HMMM? well basically...1) the round must work 120% of the time in YOUR gun....
Bullet placement is much more important than what a balistic test will show in a piece of gelatin.
That about says it all.

Corey, there aren't any "magic bullets".

If there were every law enforcement agency and military on the planet would be using it and all the other ammo companies would be trying to clone it or be bankrupt.

It all works, choose what you shoot the best in your gun...period!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok well I will be going to Range tomorrow with Federal Hydro shock, Liberty Halo point and Federal American Eagle. I thank everyone for there input and help.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts