Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all new member and new to Taurus AND Revolvers too. I just got a used 44SS8 with a free box of PMC 240gr TCSP ammo. As I am a NEWB when it comes to large caliber handguns, my only other is a Kimber Classic Custom, I was looking for advice on best ammunition for range days and home defense.

THANKS!

:huh:

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
The very obvious answer is: Your own hand loads!!
I suspect you don't, so I have not a clue, haven't bought a factory 44 Magnum round since, since,ah, since; I've never purchased 44 magnum ammunition, been loading it since 1971, tho. Sorry, can't help.

Reactions: JayneCobb

·
Registered
8,052 Posts
For home defense, I believe I would stick to .44 Special because of the fact the .44 Magnum would
present two problems inside a closed area, overpenetration and the noise would be deafening if
fired inside a building. I keep a .357 Model 66 in my nightstand but I load it with .38 Special +P
because the .357 Magnum would present these same problems. It would be nice if a manufactuer
made a mid range round for the .44 caliber like the .38 Special +P, something that would give
the shooter more power than the .44 Special but without the overkill of the .44 Magnum in
some situations. I own a Raging Bull 6" .44 Magnum and I love it! I only use it at the range
and as a backpack gun when I go hunting in bear country.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I like jacketed bullets at the range, no leading to contend with later. Some range ammo can dirty up the gun fairly quick so i'd recommend taking a little cleaning kit with you so you can wipe down the cylinder and shine up the chambers a dab (sometimes I experience extraction problems from heat more then crud but a little cleaning goes a long way).

I agree with ncfarmer on .44 special (maybe Winchester silver tips?) for home defense and if you ever do reload I bet guesser would point you out in the right direction.

Coop

·
Banned
893 Posts
best ammunition for range days *****the cheapest you can find***** this includes steel cased ammo;
keep in mind all you are doing is burning money....PERIOD

·
Registered
855 Posts
Blazer makes some fairly inexpensive aluminum cased 44mag/spl, so if you don't intend to reload that would be a good choice for range and hd. To me a slug is a slug, it doesn't matter if it's being shot at a paper or a person, the end result will be the same with proper shot placement.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts