Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what all of you use to safely store your ammo in? I'm going to make some changes in my method and am interested in other ideas. I do chose to keep (or try to keep) my ammo secured.

Currently I use most of a big four drawer lockable file cabinet. I have the drawers organized as follows:
Top: Firearm (and related) accessories
Second: Ammo for testing (either function or accuracy) and calibers I don't own/use at the moment
Third: Handgun ammo
Fourth: Long gun ammo (rifle and shotgun and 22LR)

With the addition of an AR in the near future I'm running out of space in the Long Gun drawer. Yes, I can fit much more in but then I won't be able to easily find stuff (I don't want a second layer in there). I suspect that I will have to move the accessories elsewhere and give the AR stuff its own drawer.

If some of you are wondering how much ammo I've got sitting around here's some estimates (I'm too lazy to go downstairs and check actual totals):
9x19: 1200 rds ball (assorted makes) 140rds JHP (mostly standard)
9x18: 240rds
45acp: 50rds
38 spec: 150rds
12ga: 200+rds (120+ social and 75rds practice)
5.56: 1000rd case (unopened) with a another case due thursday
22LR: 1100rds
Other long gun calibers: 150+rds

I know that in some parts of the country its illegal but I do keep some ammo (mainly for social use) in the safe with the firearms as well. Once upon a time it all fit in there but that was long ago. And no, I don't like to have to go buy ammo before I head out shooting. I'd rather just go to the ammo locker and grab what I think I'll go through. And with ammo prices continuing to raise (along with everything except our paychecks) its nice to have that hedge.

I have debated getting a cheaper gun safe (8 or 12 gun sheet metal one) and installing shelving but I could get a case of cheap ammo for that and the file cabinet only cost me $10 used. Oh and yes the drawers do still work fine.

Steelheart

·
Registered
8 Posts
Gee that big empty space under the bed works for me. We have the head of the bed elevated to prevent acid reflux. The 50 cal ammo cans will fit under the frame about 1/4 of the way down. The 30 cal ammo cans fit under the next 1/3 of the bed. And the NATO grenade boxes will fit under anyplace.

50 cal ammo cans will fit under the sewing machine stand, under the desk and in all the little spaces behind the couches and between the end of a piece of furniture and a corner.

Two 25mm fiberglass ammo boxes with a case of computer paper on top makes a great end table, just right for the phonebooks to sit on.

I have never been able to buy a safe. Every time I have that much money, I buy a new gun.
Regards, OE

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'm kind of having the same problem. At first I simply put my 9mil in the handgun safe with the ammo. Then I bought a second HG safe to separate the ammo. Well, five handguns and four rifles later (+ the addition of a long-gun locker from wally-world). Space is getting pretty scarce. I would like something more roomier for the ammo, just don't know what. Maybe a file cabinet that is fireproof.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Remember that fireproof file cabinets are real heavy. It was bad enough getting that steel one of mine down to the basement where it lives and it hasn't moved much since we moved in.

I'm toying with the idea of trying to find some sort of cheap lower kitchen cabinet/tool cabinet thing that can be locked (if I have to I'll add the lock) to keep the accessories in (empty gun boxes, extra mags etc).

This should leave me with enough ammo capacity to expand into for a while.

I'm waiting right now for Habitat for Humanity to open a retail store in the next month or so. They should have some good deals there and they're expecting to make enough profit to build an extra house per year for the area. I'd say thats a Win Win situation!

Steelheart

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm not sure if they make 'em anymore, but I have a Rubbermaid Foot locker that I keep some of my valuables in locked under the bed. Couldn't be more that $50 at wally world

1 - 5 of 5 Posts