Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live near Memphis and it is hot hot hot here in the summer. I work 12 hour shifts so will it be ok to leave a loaded weapon in my truck that long in the heat?

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I live in "Aridzona" where temps reach close to 120 degrees in July and August.
I'm not sayin' it's safe to do so but I left my loaded Glock 21 in my trunk in my driveway all day long. It was 117 ambient temp that day and about 140 in the trunk. Nothing happened.

·
32,582 Posts
Wouldn't do that too often. and don't put the gun inside the main passenger area. Temps the local T.V. station did for the Milwaukee area got over 200 degrees F. inside the car. That's asking for trouble.
Things can become unstable in those kind of conditions.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I only did it once, by accident. Spank me---please. :p ;)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. You know I belong to a few forums, and this is by far the best in my opinion.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Robin48 said:
Thanks guys. You know I belong to a few forums, and this is by far the best in my opinion.
Thank you.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
You can always get a cooler with those frozen gel packs so you don't get any moisture in the gun if your that worried. But you will get condensation in there. As for rounds cooking off, Go too the mythbusters site on youtube. They cooked loose round off at the bomb range in a fire, it takes awhile for the primer to boil in fire to cook off. Basice rule of thumb is if you can stand the heat odds are your ammo can as well, but don't quote me on that.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I live in North Texas and have always had ammo in my truck. I'm not saying it is the suggested way of doing things, buy I always keep a couple hundred rounds and hearing protection in my vehicle. I am in sales, I travel, I make sure I have ammo for going to the range when out of town (it's a good way to keep myself entertained for a night on my trips). It gets pretty hot here and I have not had a single round go off.............yet.

·
Registered
325 Posts
good info, i always wondered about that. south georgia can get pretty hot. lots of humidity.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts