Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, i have a 1992 model 85SS2 38 special stainless snubnose revolver that i keep 4 home defense. less than 50 rounds thru it. the box of ammo i bought with it in 1992 is cci 158gr 38 special alum casing el cheapo wad cutters.thats all ive ever put thru it. i recently bought a box of remington brass jacket hollow points 125gr but noticed they are 38 special +p. my question is, ive been advised not to use +p in this older gun, but isnt the 125gr less powerful than the 158gr ive been firing? i only plan on ever firing this ammo if i have to and dont want to blow my hand off in front of a home invader. that would be VERY embarassing!! is it the fact that the brass is harder to drive thru the barrel than the lead slug? thanx in advance for the help.

·
Registered
20,098 Posts
I'd check with Taurus. If I recall correctly they started rating those at +P in the 90s but probably later than 92. Do you have the manual? i know people that shoot +P in older revolvers - they are stout by nature BUT that does not make it smart or right.

The Grain notation (gr) for the round is the bullet weight - has nothing to do with the powder charge. The +P is definitely going to be hotter. The 125gr HP bullet is going to come out of the barrel a whole lot faster than the heavier lead bullet with a standard power rating. Also the brass and aluminum cases aren't really more than that - they hold the bullet in place and the powder behind it. They have a primer inserted in the back (have a look - it's the small disc in the center) that ignites the powder when struck by the firing pin.

Once you get your answer I'd really encourage you to become more familiar with the gun and get some practice shooting it. for home defense you WANT a hollow point round. Most modern ammo will do well. try a few different bullet weights. Shoot up those old wad cutters for practice on paper targets - that's really what they are best at. They are also heavy and will move slow due to that - nice range bullets - not good man stoppers at all!

Here's a link to the ballistics 101 page for a lot of common 38 Special ammo produced today. There may be acronyms that you do not understand. Under type JHP is Jacketed Hollow Point - that's a self defense round. You will see Muzzle Energy and Muzzle velocity columns as well. That's easy power and speed basically.

38 Special Ballistics Chart | Ballistics 101 <<<the web link.

Call Taurus, have a look around, go to the range - post up what you find out!

Welcome to the forum!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey mingaa thx, i did call taurus (1 hr wait!!) and they said not pre 1996. mines 1992. i figure 1 or 2 rounds in self defense may be ok for me but not overall for the weapon but its not worth the chance of it coming apart. thx for the heads up on the gr i thought that was the charge. never thought it would be the slug. not a gun guy, just have it in case. hope to never need it. guess i best not leave the +p in there? do you think it could actually tear the gun apart to fire 1 or 2 out of it? seems alot of ppl just use em without much problemo?

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Welcome aboard from the Gunshine State.
Try to not use the +P's except for S.D. They will put more wear on your gun. Practice with standard 158gr ammo, the old "F.B.I. load", or with lighter weight projectiles. The 158gr is the standard that it is regulated for.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
36,963 Posts
We are pleased to have your join our ranks here at TaurusArmed.net.:happy::happy2::happy2::happy2::happy2::happy2:

·
Registered
10,769 Posts
Welcome from the Northwoods of MN.

The +P cartridges develope considerably higher chamber pressure than the standard and personally I would only use them very rarely if at all.

·
Premium Member
16,973 Posts
Yellow Facial expression Emoticon Text Smile
Welcome from the Rust Belt USA....

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
hi all, i have a 1992 model 85SS2 38 special stainless snubnose revolver that i keep 4 home defense. less than 50 rounds thru it. the box of ammo i bought with it in 1992 is cci 158gr 38 special alum casing el cheapo wad cutters.thats all ive ever put thru it. i recently bought a box of remington brass jacket hollow points 125gr but noticed they are 38 special +p. my question is, ive been advised not to use +p in this older gun, but isnt the 125gr less powerful than the 158gr ive been firing? i only plan on ever firing this ammo if i have to and dont want to blow my hand off in front of a home invader. that would be VERY embarassing!! is it the fact that the brass is harder to drive thru the barrel than the lead slug? thanx in advance for the help.
Your Taurus® Mdl 85SS2 is regulated to shoot to point of aim with 158gr ammunition.

Load your Mdl 85 with the Buffalo Bore® Standard Pressure Short Barrel Low Flash Heavy .38 Special Ammo - 158 gr. Soft Lead SWC-HC GC (#20C/20). This load has the velocity & power of the 38 Special 158gr LSWCHP+P FBI load; w/o the higher pressure, muzzle blast, and recoil. I carry this load in all my 38 Special revolvers. THIS LOAD IS PERFECTLY SAFE IN YOUR 21 YEAR OLD REVOLVER.
https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=110

Lastly..........

Welcome to TaurusArmed.net from Olympia, WA; in the Great Pacific Northwest!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok thanks for the input guys! i def only bought these hp rounds for sd in the house. dont plan on firing them unless i have to and will only use the reg rounds for practice. seems the consensis is that its ok to fire a few if necisary in sd without the pistol exploding in my hand? also does anyone have an opinion (oh boy) on loading 1 or 2 rounds of 38 cal varmint shot in the first up chambers just to have a non lethal warning before the hp comes a callin?

·
Registered
589 Posts
I don't like the idea of warning shots in the house. If an intruder is in my house, I want him/her on the floor not moving. Period. They do not need warning shots in the house.

ok thanks for the input guys! i def only bought these hp rounds for sd in the house. dont plan on firing them unless i have to and will only use the reg rounds for practice. seems the consensis is that its ok to fire a few if necisary in sd without the pistol exploding in my hand? also does anyone have an opinion (oh boy) on loading 1 or 2 rounds of 38 cal varmint shot in the first up chambers just to have a non lethal warning before the hp comes a callin?

·
Registered
30,024 Posts
Welcome aboard from Florida the "GunShine" state. :icon_ lala:

State of "1 MILLION" Concealed Carry Licenses.

Yes, you can shoot +P in your M-85; however standard pressure .38 specials are fine for self denfense too.

LEO's and Military personnel protected themselves and their charges with it from 1899 till the introduction of +P's in the late 1970's, and still do today.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't like the idea of warning shots in the house. If an intruder is in my house, I want him/her on the floor not moving. Period. They do not need warning shots in the house.
oh yeah i hear ya i meant warning shots with a sh*t load of bb's in thier face! before the hp to knock em down for good. just sayin. then again why give em a chance to sue when they could get a free ride to hell for bein in my house at nite with no invite. hope i never have to do it believe me but with the 200% increase in home invasions in my hood in the last 2 yrs im ready if need be. puh pow if ya gotta!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.