Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The word from my FFL dealer is to expect another 20% hike in ammo prices by July 1st. Buy ammo now. It's almost like an investment. What you buy now will increase in value by 20% in less than two months. If ammo is going up, expect guns and accessories to go up as well. And given the current political climate, I would recommend you pick up those hi-cap mags now because all that stuff will be harder to get in the future.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I've heard various ideas on this.

The prices of base metals are increasing. China, India etc are buying up scrap metal by the shipload. They are some of the fastest growing economies in the world right now and they want raw (or recycled) materials for this growth. As far as I know, this is the main reason.

Also much of the manufacturing capacity is being used by various military contracts. And other non-military cartridges are being bumped off of their normal machines to help with the military orders.

Don't forget that everything goes up except your pay!

Steelheart

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those are exactly the reasons for the increase. And expect this to keep happening. It's true, right now ammo is one of your best investments. Unlike the stock market, the value will never go down.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Want to stock up. Only had my 24/7 pro .45 cal a short time. Any thoughts on the best brand of ammo for same. Conversely, brands I should stay away from. Thanks.

·
Administrator
18,039 Posts
As a Reloader, I've also seen bullet prices continue to climb. As our Pistol Club recently put together a bulk Berry's bullet order, I've ordered more than I would normally need. Already have good stocks of Primers and Powder.

I second the notion of buying bulk ammo and a lot of it! Store it in surplus GI Ammo Cans in good condition. As for brands, just buy what you've already had good experience with, if possible. In my experience, Taurus handguns tend to be very feed reliable, but you never know! I have seen some problems at our range with Remington UMC ball, yet my pistols feed it just fine.

For Generic Ball I typically recommend Magtech, Federal American Eagle, CCI Blazer and Blazer Brass, and S&B, in order of preference. Winchester White Box is OK, but not spectacular. Fiochi is OK, but loaded a bit on the warm side, due largely to the fast burning powder they typically use, but it is not overpressure.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
If you don't know that something will work in your guns don't buy it in bulk. I usually buy a box of something different to try. If I have ANY issues that could be ammo related I don't get that brand for that caliber after that. Its not worth the risk. If you have multiple guns in the same caliber, I'd test a half box (minimum) in each gun when they are already dirty (to increase the chance of malfunction). I'd prefer a full box but its not always an option. I've usually either picked up the test box locally or ordered mine from Sportsmans Guide.

jmc007 covered the major brands above. I would stay away from American Arms (I think thats the name), I haven't heard anything good about them quality wise. S&B is loaded as hot (or hotter) than Fiochi.

I've also heard goo things about Georgia Arms but I have never shot any myself. http://www.georgia-arms.com/index1.htm

I have used Wolf in most/all my current centerfire guns without any issues. Yes, the whole steel case thing worried me for a while until I read a good post that I can't remember exactly but it was mentioned that the grade of steel matters quite alot in regards to the hardness and ability to wear/damage internals. And that the US made steel cased ammo during WWII due to brass shortages. Plus a Springfield rep I talked with at a local dealer shoot said that he was trying to kill a Service model (4") XD 9mm using Wolf and wasn't having any luck. BUT, like any other load, try a box and see if your gun likes it. It seems to be one of the cheaper brands out there right now. I don't expect great accuracy (and haven't heard of any) but if it goes bang every time and the accuracy is close enough for general practice why not? I will add that if I was spending half-way serious money for a training class I likely wouldn't bring Wolf, I'd spring for American Eagle/Federal.

Steelheart

·
Registered
625 Posts
While I don't doubt that ammo prices are on the rise, I am not sure how this ties into the idea that other accessories, such as magazines and holsters, and guns will also be increasing in price.

However, some other places to buy ammo:
www.cheaperthandirt.com
www.midwayusa.com
www.natchezss.com

I would also emphasize that you need to try the ammo out before buying in bulk. I'm not sure that buying ammo is really an "investment" per-se, since I doubt that anyone would buy second-hand ammo at full retail, but it will definately save you some money in the long run.

Todd

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
Hey Steelheart, you posted three sites to buy ammo, back on the 7th of May.
Thanks for putting those sites up. I just bookmarked all three! ;D ;D

·
Registered
174 Posts
thanx, i bookmarked them as well.

one of the best buys i have found is in small stores that don't have much volume, especially if they are not computer automated. the local hardware store has an ffl, but is pretty much a request type system, but they have a small selection of ammo, i discovered 7.62x39 in reloadable cases for the same money as the current wolf steel case stuff, i left broke, but w/ a bunch of ammo. i found .223 reloadables for $21 for 100, at a ma n pa gunshop, again very dusty, i emptied my wallet there as well, then went back the next day to get the rest, but he realized his error and marked it up. but he did not catch the .308 rounds that were 140 for $30, so i emptied that shelf instead.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I clicked on it and it popped up for me. You might have to Copy and Past it into your browser.

Steelheart

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
lets just make this easy.....

War Stretches Nation's Ammo Supply

Monday May 21, 1:58 AM EDT

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — Ammunition shipments to local gun shops and police departments are being delayed for months because the Army has more than tripled its demand for small caliber ammunition.

Ammunition plants have dramatically ratcheted up production, but company officials acknowledge delays to police and retailers of up to a year.

"There are millions of rounds backordered because the war has put such a demand on the manufacturers," said Lana Ulner, manager of Rapid City, S.D.-based Ultramax Ammunition, a distributor for several manufacturers. "In some cases, it can take eight to 12 months."

The Army's demand for small caliber ammunition has soared from 426 million rounds in 2001 to 1.5 billion rounds in 2006, according to the Joint Munitions Command at the Rock Island Arsenal in Illinois.

The government spent $688 million on ammunition last year, up from $242 million in 2001, said Gail Smith, a Joint Munitions Command spokeswoman. The most common rounds ordered are 5.56 mm, 7.62 mm and .50 caliber, she said.

Much of the ammunition used by the Defense Department comes from a plant in Lake City, Mo., owned by Alliant Techsystems Inc. The plant's production has increased nearly fourfold, said company spokesman Bryce Hallowell.

"We have ... hired hundreds of people and turned our plants into 24/7 operations where they weren't just a couple of years ago to meet that demand," said Hallowell, whose company also has plants in Anoka, Minn., and Lewiston, Idaho. "We're running full-out."

He said the war, depleted ammunition reserves and the lack of foreign competition have all contributed to the surging demand.

The strong sales helped Minnesota-based Alliant's ammunition systems group see a 10 percent increase in sales for the fourth quarter and a 15 percent for the last fiscal year.

"The increase reflects higher volumes in medium-caliber gun systems and ammunition, civil ammunition and military small-caliber ammunition," the company said in a statement.

Ann Pipkin, a spokeswoman for East Alton, Ill.-based Winchester Ammunition, said the company also is seeing a backlog on orders for certain types of ammunition, but she wouldn't give specifics.

Because of the increased demand, police in Des Moines said it's taking twice as long to get ammunition orders as a few years ago — up to eight months. Still, the department has not decreased it use of ammunition.

"We're not experiencing any shortages, but they are planning ahead to accommodate for the delay caused by the war," said Sgt. Todd Dykstra, a police spokesman.

Larry Maynes, owner of JLM Gun Shoppe in Urbandale, said military ammunition and weapons are popular with his customers because the mass production makes them less expensive.

"I have some in stock, but it won't be easy to replace," he said.

In most cases, customers buy the military-style weapons for target practice, but some people use them to shoot small animals, Maynes said.

"Guys like those for prairie dogs and coyotes primarily," he said.

At Darr's Shooting Supply in Chattanooga, Tenn., the wait for some types of ammunition was four months at the end of 2006, said salesman Jeff Brewton.

Given the Army's need for ammunition, he said few customers complain.

"There hasn't been a whole lot of problems," Brewton said. "They ... understand what's going on."

Jeff Lepp, chief executive of Specialty Sports & Supply, a high-volume dealer in Colorado Springs, Colo., agreed.

"I certainly concur that the military should have the ammunition in a situation like this," Lepp said.

———

On the Net:

Joint Munitions Command: http://www.jmc.army.mil

Alliant Techsystems: http://www.atk.com

·
Registered
10 Posts
deffinitly try to buy in bulk. Every year a bunch of us at work go in together and buy our steel shot shotgun shells from schells. We order between 50 to 75 cases at a time

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just for your info. In Feb 2007 I paid $16 at Wally World for WWB (100) of .40 cal. In May 2007 I paid $19 for the same and because of this thread, I purchased a lot. A week ago I checked prices....now at $22 (all rounded up a few cents). So in 4 1/2 months, this particular ammo went up 37.5%....WOW!

·
32,613 Posts
That folks is why my .223 ammo has been SilverBear ammo and those of other foreign concerns. They are not likely to run out of many of the calibers that soon. I hope. ??? ::) :eek: :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts