Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Tracker 992 4" should be arriving sometime next week. Now, I'm a newbie not only to the forum, but the WMR round as well, and the question to you guys is what are your ammo preferences, both for target practice and for home self defense.

Thanks ahead,
Raul

·
Registered
120 Posts
Mine likes CCI MiniMags the best, but usually gets fed federal bulk (LR), likes those pretty well too. I usually feed it whatever .22mag is available, however it seems to like the CCI MaxiMag best.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Mine only groups well with some brands of subsonic 22 long rifles. The only 22 mags it groups with are the Winchester 34 grain hollow points. It keyholes with anything over 40 grains and shoots patterns instead of groups with most 22 mag ammo and high velocity 22 long rifle ammo.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Reality is, shoot anything you can find, and good luck with that!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
How about Federal Champion Target 22 WMR 40 Grain FMJ, Winchester Super-X 22 WMR 28 Grain JHP Lead-Free for target, and Winchester PDX1 22 WMR 45 Grain JHP for SD? I can get some of these, but kinda need to know ASAP!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
For .22LR I just use the Federal or Federal Champion bulk ammo. May get an occasional flier but usually performs well for me.
For .22 MAG I use the CCI Maxi-Mag 40grain JHP. In the summer, I keep CCI .22MAG shotshells handy for snakes.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I have not found a brand that my 970 doesn't fire accurately. For home defense? I own centerfire handguns and a 12ga shotgun. But if all I had to protect my self was a rimfire? Probably CCI Stingers or something similar in ultra high velocity, bullet design would not matter much to me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
with rimefires try them all. find what it shoots best save it for your purpose then have fun with the rest :D love my 992 with 6 inch it shoots 5 shot dime groups at 25yds

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was able to get for .22LR, Winchester 36gr HP, CCI Mini Mags 36 gr HP, and Federal Eagle 38gr HP. For the WMR, I will try CCI Maxi Mags, Federal Champion, Fiocchi and Winchester PDX1's.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Heed the advise of c_franklin50. Try them all and see what works best in your machine and have fun with the rest. I am interested to know what shot best in his 6 inch. I just purchased a 4 inch 992S but I can't pick it up until the PD paper work goes through. Let us know what works best for you. Good luck, be safe & shoot straight.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts