Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been loading mine with the new Winchester PDX1 .410 Defender ammo... Also have some Barnes .45LC that I shoot some... what you guys loading?????

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I have currently been loading mine with Lehigh Defense ammo. Shoots great and the multiple projectile gives great patterns

·
5,686 Posts
Same as MilProGuy, but I also have some of the PDX shells. The .45 colt is SAVED since it's so expensive. I'd have to look to be sure, but I think currently it is loaded with both PDX and .45LC.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I actually have Winchester PXD .45 and .410 loaded. 2 JHP's and 3 .410 rounds!

I have yet to fire either of them. all the range shooting is done with the cheap (realitively speaking) cowboy loads.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Federal Handgun 410 2.5 inch 000 Buckshot .... and Winchester 45 Colt 225 Gr Silvertips until I find 45 Colt 250 gr. Keith Style LSWC loaded @ 800 to 850 FPS

I have found the Federal Handgun 410 000 Buckshot is the best Judge ammo out there out of my PD at 10 ft. the 4 000 shot stick close together making one jagged hole most of the time...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This new Winchester has three discs, and then buckshot under that..... it does good.. I haven't shot the Federal pictured above.... I like the Silvertips you never go wrong with the Silver tips used to love them in my .44 Magnum! The Barnes I am shooting with the solid copper hollow point is a really nice bullet....!

·
Registered
246 Posts
I've got some Federal #4 410 and I've found that about 1/3rd of the box fits pretty darn tight in the cylinder. I'm not sure if I should try shooting it or not. I'm worried it could get stuck.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've got some Federal #4 410 and I've found that about 1/3rd of the box fits pretty darn tight in the cylinder. I'm not sure if I should try shooting it or not. I'm worried it could get stuck.
i bought some "on sale" winchester .410 shotgun shells from wally world when i first got my judge. they were the same way. i shot the box, but almost all of them were tight coming out of the cylinder as well. tried a box of Remington, and they were the same way!

look for some Federal or Winchester ".410 HANDGUN" ammo, and the rounds fit much better in the cylinder as well as extracting after firing! they have a different casing, it's smooth with a tapered end, compared to the shotgun style ammo.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I've shot just about everything in my regular Judge;, .410 (everything from #8 to 000, no slugs though), and a wide variety of .45. (I prefer the Keith style loads).
PDX1 is by far my current favorite for anything closer than 25 feet, although I haven't actually used it on anything that breathes, (and hope to never have to).

If I ever get my replacement Raging Judge magnum from Taurus, I may find something I like better.

Never had any problems with extracting anything, even though the chambers in mine are pretty badly tool marked, as if they only used a rough reamer instead of following up with a finishing reamer.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I shot 10 rounds of the Federal through my Judge SS 3" magnum. I am talking the .410 - 3 inch federal #4 shot 9 pellet rounds. Ate'm right up with no issues ejecting them.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I don't remember the name brand but I seen a box of 100 .45 shellls ant walley world for $32.xx, didn't say colt and they looked shorter than that of the colt. Anyone know if just the standard .45 rounds will work ok in the Judge even though they are shorter than the Colt .45? I mean it should be as long as the grain isn't higher than that of the colt right? I am not a reloader and looking for some less expensive range rounds.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I don't remember the name brand but I seen a box of 100 .45 shellls ant walley world for $32.xx, didn't say colt and they looked shorter than that of the colt. Anyone know if just the standard .45 rounds will work ok in the Judge even though they are shorter than the Colt .45? I mean it should be as long as the grain isn't higher than that of the colt right? I am not a reloader and looking for some less expensive range rounds.
HUH? I'd go back and look closer. Something is wrong there. I guess it could be bulk .45ACP, but $32 bucks for a hundred is a good price, even pretty good for Blazers: I'd buy all they had at that price... because I have some 45ACP firearms.

Grain weight is only one factor in bullet choice. Even assuming that they are .45ACP you saw, You probably don't want to try them in your Judge, although there is another thread discussing that here :http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/judge/50796-45-acp.html.

·
Registered
194 Posts
HUH? I'd go back and look closer. Something is wrong there. I guess it could be bulk .45ACP, but $32 bucks for a hundred is a good price, even pretty good for Blazers: I'd buy all they had at that price... because I have some 45ACP firearms.

Grain weight is only one factor in bullet choice. Even assuming that they are .45ACP you saw, You probably don't want to try them in your Judge, although there is another thread discussing that here :http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/judge/50796-45-acp.html.
Thats what I thought, it said 100 rounds but they only had the one box, may go back over to wal-mart tonight to see what they actually are. But 32 bucks wow. I'd order a 1000 for that price.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
45 ACP will not work in the standard Judge. Needs clips to hold them in since 45 is rimless and the Judge doesnt accept them.

·
Registered
766 Posts
And I'd really be surprised if Walmart is carrying .45 Schofield ammo... That is a bit shorter than .45 (LC) Colt.... But it isn't used in modern firearms, except for a coupe of reproductions.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I asked at my WM and they said they don't carry LC at all. It's a Super WM but we are in a small area so I suppose another one might.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
No offense to Walmart workers but you might ask for just 45 Colt. They wont know they are the same. Mine sells Winchester 45 Colt.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Anyone know if just the standard .45 rounds will work ok in the Judge even though they are shorter than the Colt .45?
No, they won't.

You must use .45 Colt. Some refer to them as .45 Long Colt.

·
Registered
33 Posts
No offense to Walmart workers but you might ask for just 45 Colt. They wont know they are the same. Mine sells Winchester 45 Colt.
our local wally world has .45LC, actually most of the workers i've never had an issue with asking for LC's.... what was baffling was when i purchased the .44mag Raging bull.... went in there looked for the box with .44 couldn't see any, asked the guy if they had any(which they do carry them they were just out of them on the shelf), he said yea here ya go, pulled out a box of .45acp's.... i said nah man, those are .45's i need .44 mag.... he said huh, these won't work in the same gun.....i almost couldn't tell if he was joking or not.... but i think he was serious...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts