Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Ammo for Taurus 905 (9mm revolver)

6K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  slfree 
#1 ·
Looking for ammo suggestions (self defense and target ammo) for my 9mm revolver.
Target steel cased ammo (115 grain) does not work, it must be expanding in the cylinder so that it is extremely difficult to eject the spent cases.
Has anyone experienced this behavior ?
What brands of ammo works best in the Taurus 905 revolver ?

Looking forward to replies and suggestions.

#3 ·
Thanks for the response, I will try some brass cased reloads next time I go to the range.
I believe I have some from freedommunitions to try.
Can you suggest a brand of self defense ammo that will work (eject correctly) in this revolver ?
It is raining here on Oak Island NC so have to wait to go to the range.

#11 ·
It should be fine with any brass case 9mm ammo for target practice, it's not like you have to worry about the gun cycling to the next round like a semi auto. So brands to just shoot aren't really a problem, I would only be discerning with self defense ammo. It's a more personal choice than anything else.

#12 ·
9mm revolvers can be ammo finicky
Some brass will expand & stick & others won't
You almost gotta test & see what works for your cylinder
I've had 3 Smith 940s & a Ruger SP101 9mm + a 642 that I fit a 940-1 cylinder into
It seemed that many of the 940 cylinders had rough chambers & they would stick like glue with most if not ALL ammo used
The tapered chamber is what causes the problem mostly

I've heard good things about the 905 but haven't had the chance to shoot one yet

I also had a Smith 547 that was always 100% with any ammo used but it's a different animal as it has a second firing pin that strikes the case forward so it won't set back & also doesn't use moon clips & tiny extractor segments to extract..

#13 ·
fired a 905 this week, nice little gun. Critical Defense Lite ammo is real nice if you can find it. Ran me like $20 for a box of 25. For target I would look for the cheapest brass case ammo I can find. CCI Blazer makes a brass case 9mm now, but there are a lot of them out there. I would stay with 115 gr. for practice ammo. Critical Defense Lite is 100gr.

I have heard of and seen on "YouTube" a revolver jump crimp on a 9mm in a heavier bullet 147gr. I have no experience with that and it does "seem" possible since the 9mm is a ACP so the crimp is different. Just something to keep an eye out for on your loads. If it does happen then switch brands. Some 9mm may have a lighter crimp than others.

#16 ·
I have an interest (read: I want one) in the 905. The idea of a 9mm revolver just calls to me.
That said I have become a fan of Perfecta Ammo in every caliber I find. So far that's .38, 9mm, .45 I use a lot of it in 9mm.
Has anybody tried this super cheap ammo in a 905?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.