Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my first 1911 and bought it in a .38 super. Im wanting to get into compitition shooting with it. Does anyone have a suggestion on what a good round would be to shoot? Or any other tips on reducing muzzle rise.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
A lot of people reload the .38 Super since factory ammo is hard to find and/or expensive at department and gun stores. I have ordered online some Fiocchi 124 gr RN that works well. You may want to look into getting a compensator. This is a good link.

38 Super

·
Registered
36,588 Posts
Just got my first 1911 and bought it in a .38 super. Im wanting to get into compitition shooting with it. Does anyone have a suggestion on what a good round would be to shoot? Or any other tips on reducing muzzle rise.
Depends on what type and what class that you will be competing in?
IF you are trying to meet major catergory then you are going to need to drop a bunch more bucks in the gun to get there!
the loads required for this class far exceeds anything safe in a factory gun.
as for regular ammo that performs well, is accurate and not badly priced check out fiocchi 38 Super 129 grain copper plated FMJ.
Ammunition to go has it at about 17.95 per box, 17.49 per box for 500 rounds, thats the best price that i have found on 38 super ammo.
its trucking along at about 1200 FPS and is a non Plus P ammo so recoil isn't bad at all.
of course as metnioned previously the only sane means to shoot this caliber is to reload, my reloads cost me the same as 9 MM reloads ( 6.00 per box) as long as you have the brass!
which brings us back to The Fiocchi 38 super ammo that is brass cased and reloadable.
Welcome to forum as well.

·
Registered
277 Posts
The Agula 130gr. is pretty good stuff too. I've fun about 1500 rounds of it through my PT1911 without a hiccough yet. it is also brass cased and reloadable. I've gotten ten loads so far out of the test batch that I'm working on.

·
Registered
36,588 Posts
The Agula 130gr. is pretty good stuff too. I've fun about 1500 rounds of it through my PT1911 without a hiccough yet. it is also brass cased and reloadable. I've gotten ten loads so far out of the test batch that I'm working on.
Yep, forgot about Aquila!
its a plus P 38 Super ammo I believe as well and pretty darned warm what i have shot of it.
Its cheaper than Mag Tech or Remington but not quite as inexpensive as Fiocchi, at least at Ammunition to go, which they have both quite often.
at 17.95 per box though thats not much more than 45 ACP really.
what ever you go with save the brass , you may begin reloading at some point and the brass is the thing that you need to save money!

Reactions: Plano Mark
1 - 6 of 6 Posts