Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Administrator
Mine likes 'em all. Ball, lead or jacketed hollowpoint. Just settle on what you think you want. I carry 230gr. Winchester JHP. :shooter:

Registered
I tried a number of them and found that mine seems to like the Federal 230 gr. JHP the best. I did try one brand, can't remember which it was, that is apparently made specifically for "short barrel" pistols. My PT-145 did NOT digest those well.

Registered
I remember reading stuff about 230 gr .45ACP not expanding properly because of slower velocities from a 3 inch barrel. I dug around some more but could not find enough conclusive evidence one way or the other. I ended up carrying a .40SW for this and other reasons too.

The good news is the .45ACP is big for a caliber to begin with. Propellerhead brings up a good point.

Low velocity can impede expansion as is noted. However, the newer generations put out over a decade ago or so were designed to expand at low velocities of around 670 to 680 feet per second. This is true for all the calibers in pistol guise.Still, more velocity can be a better thing under some scenarios.

Down side to +P types is that there is minimal gain in velocity out of short barreled guns and all around in the .45ACP variants to be worth the price, extra recoil, and increased muzzle blast.But one picks what one wants this being subjective at many levels.

I stick with standard pressure loads for most of my handgunning and for defensive rounds. Personal choice.

Here's some light reading that may be helpful.

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=90.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=15.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=220.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=598.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=1326.0

Just for giggles I have a Ruger P97DC in .45ACP. So there is some basis for what's been said. :) I'm a 9mm. at heart. There's nothing wrong with any of the calibers .38 Special and on up.

It is recommended to stay away from ball or hardball ammo for anything but practice. Even at the sedate speeds most .45ACP bullet travel ,this includes hardball in any caliber, is known to be overly penetrative of targets.

This means that the round nosed slug will have enough energy to kill or severely hurt someone else. For moral and liability reasons this is enough reason not to carry hardball for defensive reasons.

Mas Ayoob, David Spaulding, Dr. Edwin Topper,Al Pickles,Cllint Smith,and other shooting instructors have documented this well. Too many LEOs and innocent bystanders have been hurt or killed to ignore this.

Since there are a good many JHP with excellent real world fight ending records there is no need to resort to hardball. The only exception to this may be in winter when the extra penetration factor are going to be needed to go through heavy winter clothing.

For those who want a little more velocity out of a short barrel without extra recoil and muzzle blast it is recommended that the 185 to 200 gr. JHPs be used. Point of impact may change somewhat, but a little experimenting can tell you where the lighter bullets will hit.

There has been no demonstrated superiority of the heavier .45ACP projectiles over the lighter weight bullets in real world defense scenarios. Ballisitics look good on paper, but may not have anything to do with real world results.

Registered
With such a short barrel, the PT145 needs a light & fast bullet for consistent/dependable expansion. Stick the the 160 grain Corbon DPX for the best performance.

Premium Member
I have found the 185 gr bullets to feed smoother than the heavier. I've not shot the 160 gr Corbon's, but 6 gr of Bullseye behind the 185 gr is a pretty good load with lots of accuracy.

I've read somewhere that anything over 600 fps is sufficient for expansion on a .45. I don't know for a fact, but remember that a .45 will never shrink!

If you want expansion, the Rainer plated HP bullets have no jacket to hinder the lead from expanding.

Over the counter... Corbon's have a reputation that can't be beat. I've been told that the Taurus .45 ammo is designed for the short barrels?

Registered
Yes...the Taurus "Hex" Barnes bullet was the first 160 grain all copper bullet...designed just for the short barrel PT145. Corbon DPX introduced their 180 grain but soon learned that Taurus/Barnes did their homework. Out of the short barrel, the lighter (and much faster) 160 grain consistently expanded. I want the HEX/DPX expansion...makes the pocket .45 ACP a real man stopper. Bonus: the recoil is much lighter and I find that second and third follow up shot sooooo much quicker and on target!

HOME | CONTACT US
TAURus copper bullets .45 acp 185 grain

The design of the new Taurus Copper Bullet features the Taurus HEX Bullet whose six nose petals have an upset threshold beginning at 650. The certified 99.95% pure copper, non-fouling bullet material, provides full expansion with nearly 100% weight retention for maximum effectiveness at all handgun velocities.
Symbol: TCB45ACP185HP
Cartridge: .45 ACP
Bullet Weight: 185 Grain
Bullet Description: Solid Copper Hollow Point (SCHP)
Hollow Point Design: Notched for low velocity expansion
Shellcase: Nickel Plated Brass
Propellant: Smokeless custom blend - flash suppressed
Primer: Standard Leaded (Non-Corrosive) Boxer Design
Muzzle Velocity: 995 ft/sec.
Muzzle Energy: 406 ft-lb.
Chamber Pressure: Per standard SAAMI Specifications
Expansion: 100%
Weight Retention: 100%
Compact Handgun Performance: Excellent low velocity expansion
Standard Length Handgun Performance: Exceptional expansion with no petal loss
Accuracy: Exceptional
Penetration: 10 陆鈥 to 11 陆" in Barriered 10% Ordnance Gelatin (4-layer denim)
Rounds per Box: 20
Boxes Per Case: 25
MSRP: $19.95/box
UPC Code: 7-25327-93501

Right from the source ladies and germs..... I mean gentlemen. :eek: ::) ;D :D This is from the Taurus website.

Registered
mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. Thanks Qwiks draw....! Looks like I mixed up my Corbon with my Hex. The Hex is 185 gr...and the Corbon DPX went down from 180 to 160. I guess that is what moderators are for...eh?

Trying to keep track of every cutting edge bullet or defense load is a mind bender. ??? ::) :eek: ;D :D

One might wind up with a Corbon Black Hills Buffalo Bore Federal Winchester Remington Speer Hydra Shok Gold Dot Golden Saber PowerBall XTP Barn Burning Romping Stomper for a load at this rate. :D ;D Corbon's lists for their cartridges alone is huge.

I keep as many online ,catalog, and magazine sources as I can and still it's hard to keep up with things.

As elsewhere scribed, 3-D Ammo seems to be out of business or was bought up. Other ammo makers appear as well. PMC is out of business. So the ammo scene changes radically at times. :)

Registered
Quiks, when and where can I get those? I can't seem to find it for sale anywhere...and the taurus website doesn't have a release/has been released date.

HOME | CONTACT US
TAURus copper bullets .45 acp 185 grain

The design of the new Taurus Copper Bullet features the Taurus HEX Bullet whose six nose petals have an upset threshold beginning at 650. The certified 99.95% pure copper, non-fouling bullet material, provides full expansion with nearly 100% weight retention for maximum effectiveness at all handgun velocities.
Symbol: TCB45ACP185HP
Cartridge: .45 ACP
Bullet Weight: 185 Grain
Bullet Description: Solid Copper Hollow Point (SCHP)
Hollow Point Design: Notched for low velocity expansion
Shellcase: Nickel Plated Brass
Propellant: Smokeless custom blend - flash suppressed
Primer: Standard Leaded (Non-Corrosive) Boxer Design
Muzzle Velocity: 995 ft/sec.
Muzzle Energy: 406 ft-lb.
Chamber Pressure: Per standard SAAMI Specifications
Expansion: 100%
Weight Retention: 100%
Compact Handgun Performance: Excellent low velocity expansion
Standard Length Handgun Performance: Exceptional expansion with no petal loss
Accuracy: Exceptional
Penetration: 10 陆鈥 to 11 陆" in Barriered 10% Ordnance Gelatin (4-layer denim)
Rounds per Box: 20
Boxes Per Case: 25
MSRP: $19.95/box
UPC Code: 7-25327-93501

Right from the source ladies and germs..... I mean gentlemen. :eek: ::) ;D :D This is from the Taurus website.
[/quote]

Registered
I think Taurus got out of the ammo business and Corbon is the only company that Barnes is selling the bullets to now. As far as the DPX, you might have to order direct from CB.

Steelheart

Registered
A side not on the DPX, the 160gr load is tested out of a 3" barrel and I think it was designed for shorter barreled guns. Plus its a standard pressure load. The 185 gr load is tested out of a 5" barrel and it +P.

Steelheart

1 - 20 of 20 Posts