Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
Mine likes CCI mini-mag, but I've never used Stingers. Check your owner's manual. I have two different PT22 owner's manuals and neither seems to mention high velocity ammo. It does mention +P and +P+ but not HV.

I'd read your manual thoroughly and check the Internet for other shooters' experiences.

Good luck.

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
Don't use Stingers, if you want to use CCI ammunition i would recommend the Mini-Mags. The PT-22 is made to handle High Velocity in the 1200-1350 fps range, not Hyper Velocity ammunition. I've had good success from the following brands in my PT-22.

*Remington Golden Bullets (36 gr., 1280 fps)
*CCI Mini-Mags (40 gr., 1235 fps)
*Winchester Super X (37 gr., 1330 fps)

Those all cycle consistently and don't usually give any surprises when i shoot them, but i would be wary of Hyper Velocity in the gun at all costs. Be careful what they designated HV is for on the ammo you buy, because shooting them could present a dangerous situation.

Reactions: HappyTom

·
Registered
244 Posts
I've got the metal framed PT22 and it has the old manual that was specific to the PT22, not a general manual like they want to give out now. Here's a link to it, it's actually for the PT22 and PT25. http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIREARMS/taurus_pt22.pdf

If you don't want to look it up, the manual says the limit is a 1280 FPS with a 40gr bullet.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Can the PT-22 handle HV ammo, such as CCI Stingers (1640 fps)?

Thanks in advance
Hey Hi

A few things... I hope this help you:

From what Taurus told me, it is not rated for "Hyper Velocity" ammo which cci stingers are. Only Standard and High Velocity ammo only. This is for the current "Poly" version and also the older "Alloy" frame version that I have. From my research after the fact, it has something to do with the gun also being "blow back" in relation to the timing and pressure.

I've used this gun for a few years now, and I posted a lot of ammo range reports here. While the "same model" of gun "can" like certain ammo more than others again in the same model.. I've seen a lot of good matching reports on the following:

For Hyper Velocity .22LR: CCI Mini Mags (which have copper platted round noses), Aguilia High Velocity Super Extra (they are the same as the CCI Mini mags but are "less money" and Remington Thunderbolts.

For Standard Velocity .22LR: Aguilia Standard Velocity Match (they have Eley primers), Geco for Semi autos (has a smoothed out lead nose for better cycling) and Fiocchi Standard Velocity.

A few other things to pass along to you:
----Know that "some times" with "bulk" standard velocity ammo if there is a round that has a bit "less" primer, you "can" get a "stovepipe" as in the slide closes on the round that is getting ejected.. I've seen that literally like three time in the past two years. You'll see posts around YouTube in regards to that.. it's not as common as people claim it to be.. they need to use a good quality high velocity round or a good standard velocity round.
----Sometimes you see posts in regards to failure to feeds, this happens the most with some standard velocity bulk ammo with lead round noses that are a bit on the rough side. Also, the "feed ramp" may not be polished enough from the factory.
----The magazines from the PT-22 Alloy frame and PT-22 newer Poly frame guns are different so be mindful of that if you look for more magazines.

·
Registered
125 Posts
i always carry cci `mini mag ` 40 grain solids in mine . have zero faith in any hollow point expanding out of a 1.8 inch barrel . do need to do a penetration test to see if 60grn.
aguila `sniper subsonics will work better in wet newspaper or a watermelon or whatever - .------------

·
Registered
16,494 Posts
I have only used CC mini mags since I bought the revolver in 1975. Never had a problem at all. It does have 2 different cylinders 1 for LR and the other for 22 mags.

·
Banned
134 Posts
I have only used CC mini mags since I bought the revolver in 1975. Never had a problem at all. It does have 2 different cylinders 1 for LR and the other for 22 mags.
I think this thread is specific to the little PT22 auto??

·
Registered
91 Posts
Don't use Stingers, if you want to use CCI ammunition i would recommend the Mini-Mags. The PT-22 is made to handle High Velocity in the 1200-1350 fps range, not Hyper Velocity ammunition. I've had good success from the following brands in my PT-22.

*Remington Golden Bullets (36 gr., 1280 fps)
*CCI Mini-Mags (40 gr., 1235 fps)
*Winchester Super X (37 gr., 1330 fps)

Those all cycle consistently and don't usually give any surprises when i shoot them, but i would be wary of Hyper Velocity in the gun at all costs. Be careful what they designated HV is for on the ammo you buy, because shooting them could present a dangerous situation.
I agree with Montkun 100%. I recall reading a report from an owner who says he had feeding problems with Velocitors. I pondered this report for a while, and my theory is that the hyper velocity ammo causes too high of a slide velocity, which reduces dwell time. Keep in mind that with any semi-auto weapon, be it a rifle, handgun, whatever, that there has to be sufficient time after the bottom front of the breech clears the rim of the next round in the magazine for the magazine spring and follower to lift that next round up, and has to do it in time for the bottom front of the breech to catch the round on the way back to battery and feed it into the chamber. That is known as dwell time. And if it's the last round in the mag, remember that that is when the magazine spring is nearly fully extended, and is at it's weakest.

The velocity must be within an acceptable range, and it's not a case of "If more velocity is good, then too much is just right."

By the way, the same guy reported 100% reliability with Mini-Mags.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Appreciate everyone's feed back. Upon everyone's advice I will just use the CCI mini mags in it.

Thanks again

1 - 10 of 10 Posts