Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to hear what you feed your Defender 856 for personal defense.
I'm confused as I have read somewhere that the usual hollow point defensive rounds don't work as well fired from the 856.
The reason being that it cant get fast enough to do a proper expansion.
Now I have a Defender which 1 inch longer, will that be enough to have the rounds go fast enough?

I would like to ask for recommendations.
With data and specification as well as specific brand/weight of the ammo would be much appreciated.

Thank You.

Alvin

·
Registered
91 Posts
I would like to hear what you feed your Defender 856 for personal defense.
I'm confused as I have read somewhere that the usual hollow point defensive rounds don't work as well fired from the 856.
The reason being that it cant get fast enough to do a proper expansion.
Now I have a Defender which 1 inch longer, will that be enough to have the rounds go fast enough?

I would like to ask for recommendations.
With data and specification as well as specific brand/weight of the ammo would be much appreciated.

Thank You.

Alvin
125 Grain +P Golden Sabre Ammo is superb.

·
Registered
454 Posts
IIRC; most "self Defense" bullets need about 1100 fps to expand, The velocity threshold will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer but you'll still need speed to get hollow point expansion. I had a problem finding the velocity from bullet manufacturers but found little data for the bullets I chose so I watched a bunch of gel test videos and shot water jugs.

I too have a "house gun" load for my 38 Special short barreled gun; 150 gr DEWC over a max load of W231(not +P). Can't really depend on cast bullet expansion with 38 Specials, but a flat faced, full caliber bullet at a bit over 875 fps hits with some authority

Some good info on various ammo .38 Special and .357 Magnum Self-Defense Ammo Ballistics Test - LuckyGunner.com Labs

·
Registered
37,973 Posts
there are several newly developed self defense rounds on the market and which is BEST from your weapon only you can decide through testing various brands/weights/ designs in your weapon.
many of the newer all copper or synthetic rounds expand at ridiculously slow FPS.
lets face it if you can expand a projectile fired from a 45 acp then you can expand about any projectile--just look for them.

·
Registered
527 Posts
There is a lot of misinformation out on the internet. It's true that some bullet manufacturer's products do not expand under all circumstances, but for just about every test showing a negative you can find another one showing a positive. You can also go the route of purchasing ammo made specifically for short barrels, they are usually marked as such. They are quite often just a marketing ploy as well, with tests showing both positive and negative results.

From my own research and what I choose, is Remington golden saber 125 grain. Regardless of the caliber, golden sabers have always been designed specifically to expand under most circumstances. Another option is the Federal 38 Special +P HST 130 grain. They are a bit of an odd design as you can see in the picture below. They are soft shooters, even though they are +P. I prefer a round that has been proved on the street, which is why I favor the Remington golden saber over these. But if you don't, Federal is a decent choice.
Serveware Liquid Gas Cylinder Artifact

·
Registered
669 Posts
A hit with an FMJ will out gun a miss with any hollow point. Spend your time practicing rather worrying about bullet ballistics.

·
Registered
16 Posts
A hit with an FMJ will out gun a miss with any hollow point. Spend your time practicing rather worrying about bullet ballistics.
There's some wisdom in this thought process, especially when it comes to short barreled revolvers. Truth is, most 38 Special JHP won't expand when fired through intermediate clothing barriers. That includes the rounds marked specifically as "Short Barrel" like the HST and Gold Dot. There's a reason why a lot of revolver experts recommend carrying something like a 148 grain full wadcutter as a defensive round in a small revolver.

In my fixed sight guns, like the 856, my first priority is "does the round hit to the sights?" If that's yes, then I'll worry about the projectile type. But I won't worry that much, because as the now departed Pat Rogers said "158gr LRN killed people just fine if you shot them in the right places."

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
There is a lot of misinformation out on the internet. It's true that some bullet manufacturer's products do not expand under all circumstances, but for just about every test showing a negative you can find another one showing a positive. You can also go the route of purchasing ammo made specifically for short barrels, they are usually marked as such. They are quite often just a marketing ploy as well, with tests showing both positive and negative results.

From my own research and what I choose, is Remington golden saber 125 grain. Regardless of the caliber, golden sabers have always been designed specifically to expand under most circumstances. Another option is the Federal 38 Special +P HST 130 grain. They are a bit of an odd design as you can see in the picture below. They are soft shooters, even though they are +P. I prefer a round that has been proved on the street, which is why I favor the Remington golden saber over these. But if you don't, Federal is a decent choice.
View attachment 491797
+1 for the Golden Saber round...that's what I use, and I trust the ballistic gel tests I have watched.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts

View attachment 491797
This is what is in all my 38 Spl revolvers
Cept my Taurus NV & older S&W Model 12 .. they are loaded with LWC

1 - 12 of 12 Posts