Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Administrator
35,569 Posts
I say give it a try. At the worst, you'll have the brass :D I'm thinking about buying about 100 rounds of brass 7.62x54r - maybe this stuff, maybe S&B - and then buying a set of dies so I can reload for it. I like the heavier bullets, and I think a 203 gr softpoint would be pretty devastating.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've had the same idea about reloading. Some guys are modifying their surplus brass to take LR primers. Thats alittle more than I'm willing to do.

@GWK I've had no problems with the cheap surplus stuff. Its not as cheap as it once was but still not bad yet. Clean your bbl good and corrosion wont be an issue. I've ordered from sgammo, aim surplus and classic firearms.

Of course if its more about the reloading i get that too. Prvi has a good reputation from what i hear.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Good equivalent to a 30.06, a lot of people put meat on the table with surplus 30.06 before softpoint rifle ammo was popular and affordable.I see a lot of interest resurfacing on this rifle.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I dont know if theres any merit to the idea but I've thought about pulling the bullets and powder on the surplus and reloading those with a good softpoint and the appropriate powder. Its probably cheaper than buying brass and primers for that purpose and would atleast let me know ifits something worth persuing without going all in to reload. Ifi dont like it then i should have no trouble selling the dies.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
I’ve used it in the past with no issues and I would definitely buy it again. Being reloadable is an added bonus.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
PPU ammunition is pretty good stuff. Look around, though, and see if you can find some of the Russian, brass cased, non-corrosive ammo from, IIRC, Ulyansk. Price is right, and it is non-corrosive.

FYI, changing powder does NOT change corrosive ammo. The Primer contains the corrosive salts. Most Soviet ammo, and Warsaw Pact ammo, is also Berdan-Primed.

·
Registered
143 Posts
JR changing the powder is to properly match the charge to my chosen bullet weight. Im familiar with the nature of the primers. My second post was only about using surplus for reloading components since i've found x54r brass hard to come by

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Just make sure you use the non-corrosive stuff; the surplus ammo in the spam cans is usually corrosive and a migraine waiting to happen come cleaning time.

I use Silver Bear in my Mosin in both 174 gr. FMJ and 203 gr. SP, and they're both great.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Good equivalent to a 30.06, a lot of people put meat on the table with surplus 30.06 before softpoint rifle ammo was popular and affordable.I see a lot of interest resurfacing on this rifle.
So much so over the last 5 years that the decent ones are essentially gone.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
For cheap shooting, check the bulk surplus 7.62x54R at Sportsman's Guide.

I have bought several of the 440 round sealed cans and 880 round wooden boxes (2 sealed metal cans and an opening tool) for as low as $72 per can. (under 20cents per round).

This is Russian and Romanian military surplus dated the 60's and 70's. Opening the sealed cans, the ammo is wrapped in paper packages, but looks like it was manufactured yesterday.

100% of the rounds went bang, and were very accurate in my 2 Moisin-Nagant and 1 Tokarev rifles. The ammo is supposedly "mildly" corrosive, but I do not see that as a disadvantage as I use a cheap ammonia window cleaner spray bottle (from the dollar store) for a quick cleaning at the range, followed by a full cleaning at home.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I stay with my Bulgarian surplus rounds. Last batch cost me $180 shipped for 880 rds, and I had 100% of the last batch go bang, so I would trust them. Just clean it real good , and use windex like mentioned above.

Sent from my Bosch ECU via VAG COM

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Just make sure that it is the window cleaner with AMMONIA ! It is the Ammonia that dissolves the primer salts from the corrosive primers.

·
Administrator
35,569 Posts
Yep - ammonia is the key component to help neutralize the salts. Then take a garden hose and just run water through the bolt area and down the barrel, then let it dry really good, then clean it as you would any rifle.

I still have a tin of 440 Bulgarian rounds that I bought a couple of years ago for $68. I need to dig that out and go have a Mosin day at the range. ;)

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have a spray bottle of GV Glass Cleaner.
It says "with ammonia".
That would work, yes?

·
Super Moderator
27,076 Posts
I have used Privi ammo before, not in my Moisin, but pistol...Worked great!

·
Registered
810 Posts
FWIW it is actually just the water that dissolves the trace salts from the fired primers of 'corrosive' ammo. The ammonia really does nothing beyond smelling - lol - any generic type glass cleaner in a spray bottle is a convenient way to carry the stuff at the range to run a damp patch or two down the barrel followed by a dry patch and then a spray of oil. That will more than protect the barrel in any climate before going home for a thorough normal cleaning after the range session.

The salt compound comes from just the primer firing so it's not like there is a salt-shaker full deposited inside the barrel or anything. Cleaning after firing corrosive is really no big deal. Just a little water followed by normal cleaning and oiling will do the trick.

We fought two World Wars with corrosive ammo, I shoot it regularly in my Mosin, CZ-52 and Nagant revolver. Clean up is truly quicker and easier than after shooting black powder.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Since my Son is going to sell me his, I was looking for ammo.
I found this at PSA.
Prvi Partizan 7.62x54R 182gr FMJ BT Box of 20 PP7.63 - 7.62x54 Russian - Rifle Ammunition - Ammunition
Has anybody used it?
I like that it is brass and boxer primed for reloading.
I'm not sure if you're aware, but there's also a Mosin-specific forum (I'm a member) that will tell you the history of the rifle, the history of your specific rifle by it's markings, how to completely disassemble and clean it, plenty of discussions about do's and dont's, and also plenty about ammo choices.

Much like this forum, it's quite informative and full of good advice. The Russian Mosin Nagant Forum ? Index page

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
I have a spray bottle of GV Glass Cleaner.
It says "with ammonia".
That would work, yes?
Yes - its the Ammonia that dissolves the primer salts of corrosive ammo.

The weapon still needs a good traditional cleaning and oiling after using the glass cleaner.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Another question.
I do not know what condition the rifle is in, but my Son says he has shot it a few times, so that part is OK.
Should I consider refinishing the furniture if it's not in good condition? Or would that hurt the value?
I don't see how it could as they sell for <$150.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts