Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Ammo: Employees Buying Fast

3K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  mingaa 
#1 ·
I was finally able to locate some 9mm ammo last night on ArmsList. Cost me a bit more than store price but 250 rounds of Blazer FMJ for $100 wasnt too bad and in was getting desperate.

:mad: But I was able to figure out why there is never any at Academy. The a$$hole employees are buying it before it makes it to the shelves, or atleast thats the case here. The guy I bought the ammo from showed up in his Academy shirt and was making a bit of a profit off his sales. Costs $13 per box in the store and he sells for $20 a box. Guess theres money to be made when shortages hit!

#2 ·
Just like them ticket scalpers at the Super Bowl....

#3 ·
I thought this might be going on. What an idiot to show up in his uniform.

#5 ·
Actually if you know where he works his boss would like to know about his side business. Any boss would. If he were selling reloads, fine but he's using an employee discount to take sales away from his employer. I'm sure that the company handbook is clear about what in-house sale are for - personal use! We know he lacks ethics Showing up in the shirt demonstrates a lack of gray matter as well. I would not hesitate to bust him! He is part of the problem.

#6 ·
Why is he an "idiot" for making money. We don't have to like it, but that doesn't make them idiots. Makes them annoying and irritating, but not idiots. He made a profit and you got your ammo.
If he is breaking any rules Ming, yes. But if not, it's free enterprise. plain and simple. don't misunderstand, I don't like not having ammo any more than any of you. But this country is based on capitalism.

#7 ·
I'm afraid I'm with ming on this one. I cannot imagine ANY employer putting up with shortselling activity such as that described. He is impeding the employer's profit line for his own gain. Nothing to lose by bringing it up to the supervisor or boss . . . .

#8 ·
Yep they were doing the same here at Sportsman's Warehouse until Mgmt. put a stop to it! Buying & then selling on Backpage! Now my buddy that works there can't even get me supplies with his discount. They took that away too!! I was really hoping to save some bucks on a new rifle!

BW

#9 ·
While I think it is a low class move, if he is paying full retail and buying only what the box limit per day is (BIG IFS) then he is within his rights. If he gets an employee discount and is buying more than the ration amount then there is a problem.

Just my .02

Reactions: lonestarbandit
#10 ·
Yeah - I'm saying that I'd bet money and ammo that he is breaking company policy. I've read and written enough workplace employee manuals to know that in retail employee discounts are always covered very carefully. In a place like Academy he would have had to read and sign off on the company rules. Free country - you don't like the rules at a place of business move on to something you do like and can agree with.

I totally support a good business deal and entrepreneurship. The ammo he is selling would have sold for less at the store. He is ( most likely) breaking a legal agreement for his own benefit AND biting the hand that feeds him at the same time. If he wants to open an Mmo shop and take on all the cost and responsibity of running a business fine. If he were my employee he'd be a free agent to do so immediately. There are plenty of good honest people looking for work right now. People that would appreciate the position and be upstanding.

Any Academy employees on the forum? Am I off base on the policy here?!

#11 · (Edited)
I have to agree with Mingaa on this one. The guy who works at Academy is there to do a job. If it were as simple as some guy buying from a supplier and selling to a consumer, that'd be one thing. But this is a guy who is paid to be there to sell to customers, and he's taking advantage of his position to undercut his employer, especially if he's getting a discount. And when I say it's undercutting his employer, a customer will only visit your store so long as you have product. If that product is being taken away be the store's employees, yeah the store is still making the sale to the employee. But what it's retaining in original sales, it's losing in impulse buys. The customer that walks in to buy the box of 9mm might also buy an extra magazine on the shelf if he sees it, then maybe pickup some beef jerky on the way out. Working in retail management taught me that impulse buys were very important, as that's where the big markups can happen.

While what lonestar is saying is right, this kid probably isn't an idiot, there are other aspects to look at. I guarantee you if this kid gets reported you'll be able to get your ammo at a better price, and hopefully this kid will learn a thing or two about respecting those who give him a job and not trying to "stick it to the man". And that's something we're needing these days.

EDIT: On a side note, my last trip to Wal-mart had a kid behind the gun counter bragging about how he gets first dibs on any ammo coming through, mainly .223, which is what his customer was asking about. This might be partly why there's an ammo shortage. I guarantee you there's no shortage (pun) of high-school or college-age employees doing this everywhere else.

#14 ·
...located some 9mm ammo last night on ArmsList. Cost me a bit more than store price but 250 rounds of Blazer FMJ for $100 wasnt too bad and in was getting desperate...
If my arithmetic is correct thats .40 cent a round.

Two years ago bulk packed 9mm in my neck of the woods was running .17 cents a round.

A pretty good jump in price, but not as bad as gasoline or grocery prices.

#15 ·
The kid at Walmart is in violation of company policy, he should be reported.
Walmart employees are only allowed to buy from the store when not working.
One exception is food for lunch or break. That was the way it was done when I worked there.
Maybe the manager is at fault for allowing it, or doesn't know about it.

#16 ·
I spoke to a guy at a local Wal-Mart who said this happens quite often. He said right now it is ammo but he also said that a lot of times it is the new hot toy or whatnot. He said sometimes it doesn't even make it out front, someone will "set it aside" and they will pick it up later. He said he isn't sure they are selling it, but he thinks it happens

#17 ·
While I did question his allocation of gray matter as well as his ethics I did not call the Academy employee an 'idiot'. Name calling on public forums is not my style. I don't hesitate to strongly state my position in a discussion but I make a point of staying within the language of business and reasonable civility.

That said I do hope that an Academy employee can address the internal company rules.

Beyond my full time work I also consult (in a non-compete environment) and buy and sell goods locally, on eBay and Etsy. My family has a 3rd generation Ford and Chrysler franchise. Making a deal is not lost on me at all. Every day people buy ammo over the counter and resell it on the gun auction sites. The buyers may not have access to ammo where they live or want more at any price. Works for me. The retailer got their asking price and the buyer is reselling on the open market. Cool. If I saw a desirable gun under priced in a pawn shop that I suspected (or knew) I could resell for a profit I'd buy it in a heartbeat AND try to bargain for a price below the tag as well. Then I'd keep it - no, no ,no i'd sell it for the highest price possible. Buy low sell high get a good night's sleep. Aggressive in business, no problem. Ethics that get me that good night of sleep - a must!

Reactions: darbo and Pilgrim
#18 ·
Mingaa your a decent Gentleman...if I ever hit St Louie will buy U an adult bev!

#21 ·
Happens all the time in retail. I've even participated, bought a few super clearance digital cameras and re sold them on ebay; made twice the amount back.
Academy has a very strict code of conduct; for example a no questions asked immediate termination if you're caught with your cell phone on the clock so they could probably get in major trouble for this.

#22 ·
Nonetheless. The OP CHOSE to purchase the product. If he had misgivings then he should not have done so. Don't subsidize it if you did't agree with it. You could have walked away. You can't purchase from him then fault his ethics. The OP had a choice. Can't carve it both ways.

Reactions: mingaa
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.