Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the event of needing to stop a threat within a motorhome - think thin walls, confined space, innocent parties nearby outside - what would be my best choice for ammunition for my Public Defender, and why? (This is my first firearm that shoots shotgun shells. I am more familiar with rifles, regular pistols and black powder.)

·
Registered
252 Posts
Tests done on .410 pistols show that they are weak using shotgun shells. Even with buckshot, it's underpowered. With that in mind, you do have to take into account your innocent bystanders. The most effective round will either be a slug or a .45 LC JHP. Your least effective round with the smallest chance of stopping a BG and best chance of not over penetrating is a bird shot. Unfortunately, you just have to make a judgement on that spectrum. I'd probably keep some buckshot around, and some .45 LC JHP. Switch them as appropriate. If that's too much trouble, go with the buckshot.

·
Super Moderator
40,709 Posts
I would go with 3 rounds of #4 shot followed by 1 000 Buck shot and one .45lc. If the first 3 rounds don't scare them off/stop them, I would not worry about over penetration after that with the 2 second loads.

Reactions: Wayne007 and BMC

·
Registered
10 Posts
I keep nothing but PDX-1 Winchester in my Public Defender for home defense and car gun. Others may say a 410 pistol doesn't pack much punch but I say view a video on You Tube by Hickok45 shooting the Judge with varies ammo it is a wonderful video all about The Judge and it will answer many of your questions and make you proud to own this weapon !

·
Registered
606 Posts
I understand the OPs concern of those thin walls and innocents nearby. Perhaps those Federal Premium 410 Handgun #4 buckshot loads would work better than birdshot or 00/000 buckshot. I can't remember seeing any live test results, but the concept of 9 faster pellets that stop sooner maybe the ticket.

Link: Federal Premium Personal Defense Ammo 410 Bore 3 #4 Buckshot 9 Pellets

·
Registered
34 Posts
I would go with 3 rounds of #4 shot followed by 1 000 Buck shot and one .45lc. If the first 3 rounds don't scare them off/stop them, I would not worry about over penetration after that with the 2 second loads.
With the thin RV walls I would use this stagger load but with first two with #4 shot and the next three .45lc. First two gives them the option to flee and you some room to assess the situation, final three are for a double tap and one to hold down the fort till a LEO shows up to take over. Being an RV and maybe not knowing the States law you are in at the time gives you the best option for not being sued or not ending up as the AKA "bad guy". Now understand I not a Lawyer so this is just my opinion and in the end is your own choice. In the long run Know the Laws in the state you are RV-ing in and adjust your load to them

·
Premium Member
11,282 Posts
I think #6 shot would be a better choice in an RV/Travel Trailer. No, it probably wouldn't put them down, but they're not going to be inclined to hang around after you fill the room with two or three shots. You can always back it up with a more substantial man stopper for the 4th and 5th shots.

My own personal choice is also the PDX1 rounds, but Hornady just came out with a Critical Defense 410 slug, that has a 41cal hp slug, backed up with 2 35cal balls. If they ever get caught up enough with the run on ammo, they might be able to get it to the stores.

Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Shotgun :: 410 Critical Defense 2 1/2" :: 410 Critical Defense® 2 1/2"

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Welcome from the Northwoods of MN.

You posed a very good question and one I have considered if I ever get a Judge. I seem to recall seeing some one makes a 410 round with two or three discs and I believe "BB's" which may be a viable round for the first two shots followed with 00 and 45 colt rounds if needed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have no experience with these rounds, but my ccw instructor a few years ago recommended Glaser rounds. According to him they act as a bullet until impact and then release the shot inside of them. Supposed to be lethal to the bad guy, but either not harm or do very little harm on the other side of what you hit.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts

Attachments

Reactions: djw479

·
Registered
51 Posts
I would load with nothing less than 00 buck. Thing is if you have to pull the trigger you don't want to worry about if it is going to stop them. #4 or 6 more than likely won't stop them and I would hate to have to hope the perpetrator is going to run off rather than finish the job he started. I would rather finish it myself. So I understand the worry of over penetration but if your not going to use lethal loads then you just as well get a taser or two.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Being a fellow RVer and knowing the wall thickness, I would go with 2 rounds of #4 shot followed by 3 Federal Premium Defensive loads. If the first two rounds do not scare them away, you need to get serious and protect yourself with a small, but deadly group.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.