Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My never ending quest for 9mm rounds continues~!
I stalk every walmart within driving distance, never endingly pester bass pro shop and gander mountain, visit my lgs more than i call my dear old mom.
The results: slim frickin pickins!
I have run into a few rounds, but only enough to make two trips to the range so far. I have broken down and ordered online. Through a local site and a face to face exchange I can get 40 cents/round if i am lucky... and boy am I a cheap arse who hates paying more than retail....

I'm wondering if anyone else was running into the same issues still?
I hear from the store associates they are seeing more, but I am just not seeing that myself. (6 people waiting to buy 8 boxes of 9mm is not 'seeing more' I hope.)

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
My local Wally has posted a list on the sporting goods counter of what ammo they do not have. Its quite lengthy with everything I'm looking for on it including .22 LR, .223 and .40 SW. Its difficult for me to believe there are that many people around here in rural Missouri stock piling ammo.

I'm not a conspiracy kook but something seems to be very wrong.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
I think it's the same everywhere. The problem is, now when you do find it, they're limiting how many boxes you can buy. Well for people that have pretty much depleted their supply, it's kind of a kick in the pants when you can shoot that up in one trip to the range. It's hard to catch up!

·
Registered
19,167 Posts
I found Waldo.. :) But ammo is scarce . We are all in this together.. I have refused to buy from scalpers...

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
The last time I saw 9mm range ammo in a store was in December, but I have found the occasional box of .40 and .45. Saw some Remington .22 Golden Bullets @ $9.97 for 225 in a Wally World last night, but didn't bother to find somebody to unlock the case. If it had been 9mm...

Reactions: Sekol

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Seems like 22, 9mm, 223 and 45 are rare. Have seen a lot of 40 lately and an occasional box of 38 or 357

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I keep saying, stay away from the big places like Walmart. I find all my 9mm at the small LGS and it's usually not at a jacked up price. Gonna get some today and I am sure it is still on the shelves like it has been for weeks.

·
Administrator
41,058 Posts
I can't figure hoarders. Ammo, like anything else is useless, if you don't do anything with it. I'm not saying you shouldn't have an inventory, but to just buy it, and store it, never to be used is insane! Let folks that use it, have some!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My LGS is completely out of 9mm, and they have limited sales to ONE box per person (ALL calibers). I have realized it only takes ONE hoarder to clean out a walmart, and I scored 9mm 20 minutes ago after an hour wait because my Walmart limits sales. (SOOO happy about that, the non horder non resaler can finally score rounds thanks to the limit~!). I find more people waiting for ammo there every day (i work near walmart on 3rd shift and check on my way home.)

Today it was: Slightly angry guy with an accent purchasing 9mm for resale/trade (supposedly) AND my personal favorite "i'm not an ammo horder" guy who wants to buy ALL the 223, ALL the 9mm and ALL the 45... but he supposedly has "1300, no wait, 2000, no, 3000" .223/5.56 at home.... yeah... It's people like them that make it hard for me to get enough rounds to go to the range once a month... At least he's not the "get you're manager this is an outrage I cannot buy every box in the case!" guy who was obviously going to the local gun show...

·
Premium Member
17,735 Posts
It's not just hoarders, it's the profiteers that really bug me. They have access and buy it up, then jack the price and sell it in the private market.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I do not understand the concept of hoarding 9mm FMJ. It is only good for target practice. Hoarding hollowpoints makes a bit more sense. And the thing that confuses me the most: Why 9mm? It's not like it is the most popular caliber around, plenty of 45, 40 and 38 pistols out there.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I keep saying, stay away from the big places like Walmart. I find all my 9mm at the small LGS and it's usually not at a jacked up price. Gonna get some today and I am sure it is still on the shelves like it has been for weeks.
The LGS nearest to my office was obscenely high before the Sandy Hook panic, and their prices have only increased.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
I do not understand the concept of hoarding 9mm FMJ. It is only good for target practice. Hoarding hollowpoints makes a bit more sense.
I think most are hoarding just so they can have a steady supply of range ammo to get them through the next 6 or so months (or until the
drought lessens up). For the ones hoarding in case of a SHTF scenario, 9mm FMJ may not be the best round out there, but they are much
more affordable than hollowpoints, and much better than nothing.

And the thing that confuses me the most: Why 9mm? It's not like it is the most popular caliber around, plenty of 45, 40 and 38 pistols out there.
Around here, 9mm actually is the most popular caliber around. I've noticed at the ranges I usually go to, 9mm usually outnumber
the other popular calibers by around 10 to 1.

Reactions: jwc007 and Snug9mm

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
I do not understand the concept of hoarding 9mm FMJ. It is only good for target practice. Hoarding hollowpoints makes a bit more sense. And the thing that confuses me the most: Why 9mm? It's not like it is the most popular caliber around, plenty of 45, 40 and 38 pistols out there.
I have to dis agree with you completely. Myself and I suspect most people practice with the cheap FMJ and rarely shoot the HP. I don't even own any HP yet. When I do purchase my first box of HP I wll shoot a few rounds to get the feel of them. Then I'll keep one mag of HP for carry use and use the other mag with FMJ for all of my practice.

And 9mm is the most popular round if you exclude .22.

I picked up a few 9mm last friday. Now If I could just find a brick of .22 to feel better . . . .

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
My local Wally has posted a list on the sporting goods counter of what ammo they do not have. Its quite lengthy with everything I'm looking for on it including .22 LR, .223 and .40 SW. Its difficult for me to believe there are that many people around here in rural Missouri stock piling ammo.

I'm not a conspiracy kook but something seems to be very wrong.
Just takes a quick glance at my local wallys.nope,nuthin today.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
My local indoor range seems to have no problem keeping ammo in stock it seems. They have a mini warehouse full on one floor and then a whole jewelry case stocked full just for the use of range customers. It seems some shops are quite lazy and mismanaged. I have also been told by the same shop that his distributors have NOT increased the price they charge him therefore he has not raised it for his customers. Some shop owners will say otherwise of course.

·
Registered
8,803 Posts
My Wally - still empty - at least today for pistol ammo. Said they got a shipment in Sunday and one today - I was about 2-hrs. late for today and the Sunday stuff was gone before PM Sunday. I doubt I would have bought any had they had it since I'm in good shape on 9 & 40. It's really hurting his department as a profit center, which it has been up until they can't get much ammo and Corp. won't let them order direct any longer.

·
Registered
157 Posts
It seems the the way everywhere right now. I can't find hardly anything around here for all of the large and popular caliber rifle and handgun ammo here. It's a pain in the a$$

1 - 20 of 145 Posts