Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am picking up my 44 Taurus snub this week and was wondering what you guys like for ammo in this caliber and barrel length? Should I stick with 44 special loads for carry or go with the 44mag? I am new to caliber having picked up a Desert Eagle 44 recently and would appreciate the advice. Once I get it in I will try out some different ammo and post as well.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
For urban carry to handle social situations of the 2-legged kind I would not even think about carrying anything in 44 mag. Besides, you don't need it. There are plenty of 44 special loads out there to handle most situations. When I carry my 444UltralLite in town I have it loaded with either Cor-Bon Glaser Silver or Cor-Bon DPX. Both of these loads are exceptional.

Now if you're gonna trek in the wilderness---or desert--, you got yourself a nice little protection piece. When I go hiking I like to use one of two loads for protection against mountain lions. Either the Buffalo Bore 255-grain Keith style or Wincester's 250-grain Partition Gold.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the ammo advice NYPD; it falls into line exactly with what I was thinking as well. How many rounds do you have through your UL and how is it holding up? Do you have the 2 1/4" or 4"?

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I have the 4-inch SS. Haven't seen the 2-inch yet. I believe the 2-inch is going to be factory ported though which is a big plus.

As for round count--just a guesstimate but I'd say around 200 44mags and 500 specials.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The stainless are nice and I prefer their looks; although the two Taurus revolvers I have for carry are blued. Thanks again for the info and I will keep you guys informed on how this particular gun performs. Everyone else, feel free to leave those ammo suggestions on what you may have shot out of your snub 44.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
If you can find the stuff get federal hydra shoks I use that in my .44 mag although they won't group as well as a 240 gr jsp, I do carry a .44 mag load, just in hollow point. If you are worried about over penetrating stick to a .45, or a .38

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info Ace; for now I have decided to carry 44 spl, 200gr Winchester Super X Silver Tip HP's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts