1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Reactions: Armd2DaTeeth

·
Registered
298 Posts
Muzzle loader....probably larger than .50 caliber. Fired on an angle can easily go over one mile. If it was an accident, it is an accident. If he fired it intentionally, I could see involuntary manslaugher. Just shows, any time, any place, you never know. Really feel sorry for the family of the girl. I would almost bet, being Amish they will not sue.

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
I also think it is strange that no charges were filed. It's just plain stupidity to fire any type rifle in the air and not know where the bullet will land.

·
Registered
9,163 Posts
Definitely possible for it to happen, and extremely saddening that it did. Thinking about it this way, a Mosin-Nagant has sights that go up to 2000 meters, which converts to roughly 1.25 miles that it can send a 147 gr. 7.62 round. Now imagine a properly loaded muzzle loader shooting a .50 cal.+ round at just the right angle. Just from the force of gravity alone, the angle is steep, but the bullet will maintain a high amount of its velocity coming from such a high arc in the air. The chances of it happening are one in a million, and sadly, this little girl was that one. I personally don't understand why the man would angle the gun up to clear it, why not shoot into a hillside or the ground nearby rather than popping one off in the air and letting chance grab the projectile. Unless the DA's office decides to press charges, there's a high possibility that the family won't. The Amish still like to handle their own affairs, and rarely even ask for police or medical intervention in most circumstances.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
I also think it is strange that no charges were filed. It's just plain stupidity to fire any type rifle in the air and not know where the bullet will land.
Just saw interview with local sheriff. He said the shooting has been ruled as an accident and the prosecutor has not decided to file charges or not. If the family pressures him he probably would file charges. Since this is an Amish family they, most likely, will not pressure him.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
The report I heard was that some idiot decided to shoot the round out of his muzzleloader after hunting...but he aimed it into the air when he discharged the weapon.

What a senseless tragedy.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
What a sad thing to happen and much less happen right here at Christmas! Guns have to be treated with so much respect that I can't imagine someone just shooting a large bore in the air like that! May God Bless that little girls family!

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
The report I heard was that some idiot decided to shoot the round out of his muzzleloader after hunting...but he aimed it into the air when he discharged the weapon.

What a senseless tragedy.
I agree I never even point what I think is an UNLOADED GUN at any unsafe space much less firing.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
I've unloaded my muzzleloader many times into soft dirt but never into the air. Too much danger of someone or something being hit. Very foolish to unload any weapon by shooting it into the air, though the distance is a bit troublesome to me. Also, none of the reports say where the unfortunate girl was hit. I would like to see some more information.

"I shot an arrow into the air, where it landed, I know not where."

·
Super Moderator
21,439 Posts
From what I read the girl was shot in the head. I wonder in places like the Mideast when they fire full auto's in the air to celebrate that there is no reported collateral damage because it has to happen.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts