Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my belt today and even though I have only been wearing it an hour, I'll post a little review.

I ordered the plain black belt and it is 3/16" (.187) thick. The leather is double layered and appears to be bonded as there is no stitching. The belt is also dyed black on both sides. They suggested ordering 2 sizes larger than your normal size if the belt is for concealed carry and I agree. It is stamped on the back with the size near the end of the belt and 'Made In USA Amish Handcrafted' on the buckle end.

The buckle is a steel roller buckle and is screwed to the belt rather than snapped. The buckle seems like it'll last for quite some time.

The cost of the belt is $28.99 with free shipping unless you want UPS Ground, Priority Mail, etc.

I am carrying my Mil Pro PT111 in my Old Faithful holster and it is very comfortable and sturdy. For the price, I have no complaints and it seems like it'll do the job for a long time.

(Note: I am not employed by Hank's Clothing. I am simply passing on a little info)

The link is below:

Belts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just got the brown plain myself. I agree with your reviews, except that I don't think mine is double-layered - I think that's just the thickness of a natural hide. Very sturdy, and in incredible bargain for under $30, which as you all know is about what you pay for a plastic piece of crap belt at Walmart. My only quibble is that the buckle is pretty thick, doubled over with the tail on top it's over 3/4" thick. There's not much that can be done about that, I guess, because the leather itself makes up more than half an inch, but it would be nice if the buckle ring for the post was a bit smaller.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I've had one for years. Great belt. To alleviate the thickness where the belt overlaps, I clamped a pair of vicegrips and sqeezed the loop flatter overnight. It does help.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Interesting.... I would love to get a solid carry belt which is made in the USA. The price is pretty good too. I will have to check it out....

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just got the brown plain myself. I agree with your reviews, except that I don't think mine is double-layered - I think that's just the thickness of a natural hide. Very sturdy, and in incredible bargain for under $30, which as you all know is about what you pay for a plastic piece of crap belt at Walmart. My only quibble is that the buckle is pretty thick, doubled over with the tail on top it's over 3/4" thick. There's not much that can be done about that, I guess, because the leather itself makes up more than half an inch, but it would be nice if the buckle ring for the post was a bit smaller.

Upon closer examination, I stand corrected - it is just the thickness of the hide and not a double layer. Thanks for pointing it out!!

·
Registered
7,533 Posts
Do you need to go two sizes larger if you carry OWB?

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
I think I would prefer the double ply belts as they will resist that sag you get over time. I have a couple of those double ply belts from a friend, who is a retired detective, and he said those belts outlasted him and he didn't want to throw them away. They still wear like new and haven't started sagging yet. They will probably outlast me too. I can't even tell who made them as those marking wore off long ago.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you need to go two sizes larger if you carry OWB?
I wouldn't think so but they do run a little small. As Mesadeldoug pointed out, the belt is rather bulky where it goes through the buckle. You could email their Customer Service to see what they'd recommend.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I buy a belt at least one size (2") larger than my pants size. A belt in my exact waist size will usually only fit in the last hole. whereas 1-2 sizes larger seems to be more flexible.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
My PT145 has been hanging from one for about 18 months now - long past the time when wally world belts would have cried uncle and given up the ghost - and it just keeps getting better. My solution to the overlap problem is pretty simple - get yourself some open back screw posts and replace the two closed back screw posts that came with the belt. That will allow you to really torque the screws down and will make it much thinner up front. The other thing I did with mine was to put the keeper right next to the buckle instead of between the two screw posts. That pulls the belt in close to your body and helps to eliminate the 'hump.' One of these days I'm going to add another keeper to mine so I'll have two. Not like it really needs it, though. Great belts at a great price. But next time I'm buying the tooled version.

And if you don't know what an open backed screw post is, here's a pic....

·
Registered
537 Posts
Good suggestion there. To the OP, don't go cheap on a belt. If you are going to carry, you get what you pay for when you buy a belt. A good one will last much, much longer than a cheap one will and will hold it's shape better. Take a look at some open carry rigs like the western style ones for comparison. There is a reason they are built as heavy as they are.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Not wanting to offend here, but an "Amish Made" pistol belt???? :D There has got to be some kind of special room in a hot place for that.

·
10,379 Posts
Not wanting to offend here, but an "Amish Made" pistol belt???? :D There has got to be some kind of special room in a hot place for that.
? I guess I'm easily confused, I don't get it.

Around here the Amish/Mennonite communities own many (MANY!) firearms and make excellent goods.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
They don't call it a gun belt, but lots of people use them for that. I think the Amish think of them more as work belts. 4:00. Time for milking. :D

And a funny Amish story at no extra charge. I used to run a flatbed semi, and I made a lot of deliveries in the Amish country. Once while delivering a load of drywall to Charm, Oh, I arrived as an Amish funeral was ending. Everyone was driving their buggies down the road, and they've got different kinds - just like cars. They've got the two seat 'sport' models, the flat bed pickup truck buggies, and the big family sedans. I was behind a family model which had a little tiny window in the back. And there in the window were two little Amish kids - vigorously pumping their arms so I'd give 'em a toot on the airhorn. Some things transcend all religious and cultural barriers. :D

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
I'm not sure I would call them gun belts either, since most gun belts are 2 plys of bull hide with the grain running in opposite directions.

·
Registered
29,861 Posts
Thanks for the tip always looking for bargains in quality leather.

This is just proof you "can" get a thick quality CC belt for less than a truck payment.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Where did you get the open back screw post?

My PT145 has been hanging from one for about 18 months now - long past the time when wally world belts would have cried uncle and given up the ghost - and it just keeps getting better. My solution to the overlap problem is pretty simple - get yourself some open back screw posts and replace the two closed back screw posts that came with the belt. That will allow you to really torque the screws down and will make it much thinner up front. The other thing I did with mine was to put the keeper right next to the buckle instead of between the two screw posts. That pulls the belt in close to your body and helps to eliminate the 'hump.' One of these days I'm going to add another keeper to mine so I'll have two. Not like it really needs it, though. Great belts at a great price. But next time I'm buying the tooled version.

And if you don't know what an open backed screw post is, here's a pic....

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
? I guess I'm easily confused, I don't get it.

Around here the Amish/Mennonite communities own many (MANY!) firearms and make excellent goods.
I have heard of Remington pump action rifles refered to as "Amish machineguns" as they tend to favor them from what I'm told. For all I know it could be hogwash, but I don't live near any Amish.

EDIT: Oh, and they are called "Chicago Screws" for whatever reason.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts