Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all - recently replaced the stock front sight on my 709 Slim with an AmeriGlo GL-212-GR-Q night sight; this is a sight made for Glocks. The application took three modifications that were not difficult:

(1) the oblong foot on the sight is too long for the hole in the slide, and was easily shortened using a dremel (using lighted headband magnifier really helped).
(2) the rounded ridge at the inside front of the slide where the screw head fits needed to be widened to fit the Glock screw (threads different than the Taurus screw).
(3) the Glock screw is a little too long for a tight fit of the sight; I added a small washer to fix this, but one could shorten the screw with a dremel also. The Glock screw with its hex head (and tool provided with the purchase) is a lot easier to install/remove than the single slot Taurus screw.

The AmeriGlo sight is larger, much easier to see, and sits a bit lower than the stock Taurus sight. This allows better rear sight adjustment to zero out the "low and left" tendency many folks report with the 709. Here are some pictures of the new sight with the original stock sight(s). Note that in the side-by-side pic the stock sight is sitting on its foot, which would make the sight a little lower than the picture (but still higher than the AmeriGlo sight). The sight is much easier to focus on in daytime, and the entire sight glows a bright yellow-green in the dark.

Technology Electronic device Room Electronics
Auto part Electronic device
Revolver Shotgun
Cameras & optics Product Camera Reflex camera Single-lens reflex camera

·
Registered
15,653 Posts
Nice job.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, NCSmokey - fellow Army aviator! Yes, for now I'm sticking with the stock rear sights. Haven't researched possible replacements, but at some point I think I would like to add nights on to the back. Just wish Taurus would come up with night sights for the 709.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
That is one nice looking front. I have the trueglo red on mine but it is useless in the dark. Good luck with the rear as there is only one company that has come out with rear sights for the 709 (advanced tactical) that are used in conjunction with a front.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
16,294 Posts
Nice job! Thanks for sharing. :thumb:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.