9mm 115gr FMJ
Lot# 443061

American Ammunition
3545 NW 71st Street
Miami, FL 33147
Phone: 1-888-28AMERC (1-888-282-6372)
Fax: 1-888-694-0037
E-Mail: [email protected]

I was shooting the above ammunition in my new Taurus® G3C 9mm pistol at a local range on Saturday. I shot 19 rounds with no problem. On the 20th round, I perceived MASSIVE RECOIL with a subsequent failure to eject the round and a jam. See the first and second photos. Fortunately, there was no damage to my firearm.

I have the remaining unfired rounds (30) in the box along with the blown case.

How do you wish to proceed?

20210405_105545.jpg

·
Super Moderator
36,744 Posts
YIKES!! You are certain there's no damage to the gun? Speaks a lot to the solid nature of their build. I'm not sure that I would accept free ammo from them, no matter how much they offered.

·
Registered
7,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
YIKES!! You are certain there's no damage to the gun? Speaks a lot to the solid nature of their build. I'm not sure that I would accept free ammo from them, no matter how much they offered.
I will not accept any ammo from them if they offer. Yes, I was very fortunate there was no damage to the gun. Speaks well of Taurus® improved quality regarding the G3C.

I just sent the email today. If I don't hear from them by Friday (04/09) I will call them.

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Registered
148 Posts
Double powder load+unsupported chamber= bad times. We call that a 6 o'clock failure. Usually destroys the magazine. You are lucky you didn't end up with super face. I'd say a free box of ammo and a check for a new magazine is in order.

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
A-Merc is junk. Has been for years and it apparently hasn't gotten any better. Avoid at all costs.

Even dedicated brass scroungers like myself will pass on A-Merc headstamped brass.

·
Registered
921 Posts
How do you wish to proceed?
A quick Google search reveals that this manufacture has many QC issues. So buyer beware.
The damage to the brass was exceptional. Too bad we don't have pics of the pistol after having fired this round before it had been cleared. The straight flayed brass almost looks like it was out of battery during ignition.
I'd probably take the remaining ammo, run the remaining rounds through a cartridge gauge, then bust it down and inspect each component for irregularities. I'd bet on finding a lot of inconsistencies in their charge weights, brass and I'm curious of the bullet diameter.

Best thing to do is avoid the cheap remanufactured stuff.

·
Registered
7,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A quick Google search reveals that this manufacture has many QC issues. So buyer beware. The damage to the brass was exceptional. Too bad we don't have pics of the pistol after having fired this round before it had been cleared. The straight flayed brass almost looks like it was out of battery during ignition. I'd probably take the remaining ammo, run the remaining rounds through a cartridge gauge, then bust it down and inspect each component for irregularities. I'd bet on finding a lot of inconsistencies in their charge weights, brass and I'm curious of the bullet diameter.

Best thing to do is avoid the cheap remanufactured stuff.

View attachment 478198
Sound Advice!

Reactions: Lomax

·
Administrator
18,038 Posts
A-Merc is junk. Has been for years and it apparently hasn't gotten any better. Avoid at all costs.

Even dedicated brass scroungers like myself will pass on A-Merc headstamped brass.
+1 !!! Avoid it at all costs!!! Horrible stuff and not worth whatever you might pay for it!

Reactions: Lomax

·
Registered
4,774 Posts
I had that happen to me and a Kahr CW9.....had to send the Kahr in for repairs. Kahr did it- no charge.
What was I using....you guessed it..... "re-manufactured ammo" from Freedom Ammunition- not Freedom Munitions.
I had photos, but can't seem to locate them.

But the bottom line is - I do not shoot reloads any more.

·
Registered
7,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
It appears that I have struck out in trying to get in touch with...

American Ammunition (A-MERC)
3545 NW 71st Street
Miami, FL 33147
Phone: 1-888-28AMERC (1-888-282-6372)
Fax: 1-888-694-0037
E-Mail: [email protected]

My email which I included in my original post in this thread has come back as undeliverable - no such address. I called today to the telephone number shown and got a telemarketer for a medical alert system.

I guess that all I can logically conclude is that A-MERC is out of business.

Reactions: jwc007

·
Super Moderator
36,744 Posts
If purchased recently I would for sure be telling the retailer. He may wish to post a notice.

Reactions: badge851

·
Registered
7,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If purchased recently I would for sure be telling the retailer. He may wish to post a notice.
I got it in a gun trade a couple of years ago. I contacted the guy I got it from and he can't remember where he got it. Trail has run cold. I'm almost glad that A-MERC is out of business!

·
Registered
537 Posts
A-Merc went out of bussiness years ago, that looks like the brass was shot out of a unsupported chamber then reloaded and blew out due to the stress. glad your safe and ok. I would probably pull apart and inspect, if i did not reload I would toss them in the garbage im not risking myself on unknown ammo

·
Registered
7,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think someone put reloads in an A-Merc box. Junk ammunition but I don't think they reloaded ammo.
I think that you are right.
A-Merc went out of business years ago, that looks like the brass was shot out of an unsupported chamber then reloaded and blew out due to the stress. glad you safe and ok. I would probably pull apart and inspect, if I did not reload I would toss them in the garbage I'm not risking myself on unknown ammo
I am dismantling all of the remaining loads and trashing all of the ingredients.

Reactions: xiholdtruex
1 - 18 of 18 Posts