Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

From reading this forum, I don't see any particular date of manufacture related to the ambi safety breakage issue.
Do you think it'd be beneficial to track the birthdates of the PT1911s with ambi safety breaking issue?

I never received a "test fire case" or a born on date... but I'm sure that Taurus could reference the serial numbers if needed.

It'd be a bit of work on all of us, but perhaps we can bracket "if or when" the breakages were most common, we can help out the community.

Cheers,

Mr. Wolf

·
Registered
38 Posts
Good idea but how would one find those serial numbers in the PT1911 ? I had no luck with a Google search. I would guess that would have to come from the factory in Brazil.

Des

·
Registered
31 Posts
I don't think it would do much good in this case. I have read on the forum of the safeties coming loose on a couple very recently purchased guns that were probably built in the last few months. From all the complaints I've seen about it, there really is a very small amount that have had this problem (I have read about less than 10 people with this problem). I have one very early build PT1911 that I have had no issues with. I purchased another in Jan/08, and although the RH ambi lever did come loose, I was able to squeeze both sides back together again & never had another issue with it. So I would say it's not a big deal at this point considering all the PT1911's that have been manufactured the past 2 years. You could always call Taurus & ask them what they have done to remedy this issue in production. They may not even be aware of it since the numbers seem to be so small. It seems to be human error during assembly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts