·
Super Moderator
19,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another reason why you need to practice distance shooting with your handguns

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Now let's watch the family sue because the officer killed the guy over a long distance, and see a grandstanding prosecutor charge the officer with manslaughter. Just seems par for the course on these types of shootings.

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
That is an excellent shot. Suicide by cop? Perhaps. Regardless, a deranged armed man is standing in his front yard with a loaded rifle in a quiet neighborhood. The officer is completely justified in taking the shot to protect innocent lives. I wonder if Deranged Lives Matter will start a riot over this.

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts
When your response, to an officer knocking on your door, is to grab a gun and run at the police officers you really have to assume this is the way it will end. Not an easy shot under stress, but the officer did a fine job.

·
Registered
36,019 Posts
That is an excellent shot. Suicide by cop? Perhaps. Regardless, a deranged armed man is standing in his front yard with a loaded rifle in a quiet neighborhood. The officer is completely justified in taking the shot to protect innocent lives. I wonder if Deranged Lives Matter will start a riot over this.

Ye Sir, a person with a rifle vs a cop (or anyone) with a pistol is at a very distinct disadvantage for sure.
While i am not a Police officer I have lawys proposed thta within ones ability if you own a gun, especially if you carry a gun then you need to practice at a distance where you can hit a human sized target.
yea-yea-yea most attacks occur inside 5 yards , but damn If i am going to be walking across a parking lot and see 2-3 guys approaching me and holding guns and i am going to wait until they get 5 yards form me to protect myself or my loved ones.
Honestly i feel the that distance is my friend and my advantage over most bad guys.
the practicing of moving and firing is a good idea as well, things change a lot when motion is put into the equation.

·
Super Moderator
19,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For those who didn't do the entire video, it was a handgun at 75 yards and it pierced the heart. He officer's partner was in front of the gunman so that made the shot more imperative.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I agree it was a great shot (Glock 21) and justified (the prosecutor cleared him, this 175 page document gives a lot more info), but...

The contact officer (the one at the door) ran mostly within the line of fire from a known armed suspect, making it easier for the suspect to fire at him. A better tactic would have been once clear of the steps to run to one side and seek cover/concealment. He ran past his cover officer (1:24 in the video). According to the linked District Attorney's statement, he was still running away when the shot was fired.

The cover officer (the body cam we watched) also over-exposed himself by running into the suspect's firing line- in the DA's report there is a photo of the suspect pointing his rifle at this officer while he did so. The guy in the video said this was likely to protect the caller who was also outside. That's laudable, but tactically questionable since if he goes down, the caller has no protection. She eventually got the hint and also started running away.

After reading the DA report, IMO both of these officers were not shot since the rifle was inoperable- the bolt (along with a handgun) was still inside the house, which of course they did not know. It links a still from the other officer's body cam that shows the suspect pointing the rifle at the cover officer. Apparently he was not running away the entire time since if he had this body cam footage would not show the suspect. If that was the case, he could have engaged the suspect but did not. The report says the shot was 68 feet 6.7 inches, just shy of 25 yards.

One thing I appreciated about the cover officer is that he did NOT challenge the suspect before firing- "Police! Drop the gun!" although he stated he had said this while running away. Clear threat- immediate action. Unlike the other one, he mostly reacted (fought) as he trained. Had this happened in 2020 vs 2017 (video date, the linked PDF says it happened in March 2017) I'm sure many in modern America would criticize him for that, especially since the rifle was inoperable. Cops like the rest of us do not possess hindsight ahead of time.

Side note: Interesting that justice was served on Justice Avenue. ;)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Applicable Clint Eastwood video, since the officer had a 45:

"When a man with a 45 meets a man with a rifle, you said the man with the pistol's a dead man. Let's see if that's true."

·
Registered
151 Posts
Ye Sir, a person with a rifle vs a cop (or anyone) with a pistol is at a very distinct disadvantage for sure.
While i am not a Police officer I have lawys proposed thta within ones ability if you own a gun, especially if you carry a gun then you need to practice at a distance where you can hit a human sized target.
yea-yea-yea most attacks occur inside 5 yards , but damn If i am going to be walking across a parking lot and see 2-3 guys approaching me and holding guns and i am going to wait until they get 5 yards form me to protect myself or my loved ones.
Honestly i feel the that distance is my friend and my advantage over most bad guys.
the practicing of moving and firing is a good idea as well, things change a lot when motion is put into the equation.
When I went through the NJSP Academy, revolvers were the issued duty guns for 99% of police departments at least in NJ. There were some exceptions... 1911s and early generation 9mm.
We trained in what was called the Police Tactical Revolver Course. Every Monday morning from 0800-1200 for my platoon. We shot from 50 yards... week hand barricade, strong hand barricade and prone. Than you moved incrementally closer until you reached 3 yards but it was all standing from there. Rinse and repeat for 4 hours.
The training was slightly different for off duty guns as they were all snubnosed revolvers and 50 yards is a bit challenging if not impossible.
Point is that practice from 50 yards hones your basic skills(sight picture, sight target, breath control, trigger squeeze) pretty dam well.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
When I went through the NJSP Academy, revolvers were the issued duty guns for 99% of police departments at least in NJ. There were some exceptions... 1911s and early generation 9mm.
We trained in what was called the Police Tactical Revolver Course. Every Monday morning from 0800-1200 for my platoon. We shot from 50 yards... week hand barricade, strong hand barricade and prone. Than you moved incrementally closer until you reached 3 yards but it was all standing from there. Rinse and repeat for 4 hours.
The training was slightly different for off duty guns as they were all snubnosed revolvers and 50 yards is a bit challenging if not impossible.
Point is that practice from 50 yards hones your basic skills(sight picture, sight target, breath control, trigger squeeze) pretty dam well.
Shooting at distance magnifies anything you are doing wrong so it is easier to see. What may move the POI an inch or so inside 7 yards suddenly becomes REAL noticeable once the distance increases dramatically.

For example, nothing yells FLINCH!! quite like one hopping a round into a target at 100 yards 3 times in a row.

Or, at least, that's the rumor that I heard.:icon_rolleyes:

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
31,691 Posts
Well, at least the PD did prevent the man from committing suicide!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts