1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
489 Posts
I've known a couple of them and their jumping ability is amazing, but they are just to intense for me. I had a dog that was only a fraction as intense as those dogs are, and he was a pain to deal with sometimes.

My late dog King still holds the senior record for his size class 10 years after he did it. My ex-GF's dog died suddenly and she asked if she could take King up to the park where they did agility and "see what he can do". One thing about King was, he would only do what he felt like doing, there was no way to change his mind, and I said to her, "Sure, but give him time, and he's going to mess up your plans!". They didn't call him "The evil genius" for nothing. He was super smart and was sometimes amazingly frustrating when he would just collapse and refuse to move unless bribed with food, or him thinking his sister Molly was going to get something. She did a couple of practice runs with him and got very excited, thinking, "WOW, If only he had been doing this all these years!". He was super fast and she finally made his run and even though he almost made a mistake, he still made an amazing run. She tried to better it, and at that point, King decided to retire, and got to the weave poles and stopped cold. When she went up to him to try to get him to move, he just laid there with his legs in the air. When she gave up and walked away from him, he got up and ran over and jumped on another dog, just to play (very roughly) with them. Typical King move. After he was pulled off, he refused to do anything for my ex, and only walked with her when food was involved. When I saw the video of the whole thing, not a bit of it surprised me. He was a once in a lifetime dog, but in some ways, that wasn't a good thing. I miss him though. I don't miss trying to get him to come inside on a hot day:
This pic is pretty typical, he liked it hot, but he couldn't take cold for long:

Lots of head cocking and thinking about if he should be nice and come in without dragging it out. Usually it took a few tries, or showing him some food. If you showed him food and then didn't give it, well, you would get no cooperation whatsoever for a long time. He had a fantastic memory. He was several dog trainers "Nightmare dog". He would do just about anything if chicken was offered. At least for a while.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts