Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Walked into Dunhams today just to check on ammo. They had two boxes of Federal 9mm fmj white box on the shelf. And, 15-20 boxes of Aluminum casing 9mm fmj.
I know my G3C does not like steel at all. But I've never tried aluminum.
Anybody have any problems with aluminum casing in Taurus , G3C ?

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I have about 20 boxes of 124gn alum Blazer 9mm ammo for my emergency stash (that I picked up when DJT was in office and they were CHEAP) & have only fired about 1 box & they work just fine in any brand of 9mm pistol I have including my PT111-G2. Love 'em, but too bad they're way over priced now if you can even find them.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Aluminum is fine. Less case on case resistance than steel but not quite as slick as brass. If I were you I wouldn't be happy until it ate steel though.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Aluminum is fine. Less case on case resistance than steel but not quite as slick as brass. If I were you I wouldn't be happy until it ate steel though.
ITs not really like me to except the fact that a gun is not working one hundred percent like it should and leave it at that. Usually I would get on a quest to find reasons and answers to why's and how's to the problem. But, In my old age I seem to get so aggravated and upset when problems and fixs are not easily found. I think its just whats been going on in the world the past couple years. So I'm just going to let it ride awhile.
But, After a rocky start with the G3C I am so pleased with its performance using Remington and Federal ammo that I really don't care about aluminum or steel casing.
This old man was a happy camper when I heard Remington was coming back on line. In all my years I never had single problem using Remington off the shelf. Never a single fail. Nor Federal.

·
Registered
51 Posts
No,problem with aluminum at all. In fact, I have even reloaded a few, just to see if I could do it. I got four shots from one .45 ACP case, before I lost it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I don't think I'd condemn an item before it was determined there was a problem. I have read of some guns not running 100% with steel cased ammo, but never any info on aluminum cased ammo failures. What little aluminum, Blazer,I used a while back performed just like factory brass cased ammo; 100%...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Same here - no problem shooting aluminum Blazer in my PT 709 Slim or PT 92.

Reactions: PTDOUDE

·
Registered
5,178 Posts
I have shot tons of aluminum case Federal in my PT111, PT809, and 995TS Hi-Point with no issues. It was about the most reasonable stuff Walmart had a few years back and it was all I shot. The price difference between it and the brass case was enough to buy 4 50 round boxes of aluminum case compared to getting only 3 of brass.
Still got about a dozen boxes.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
I've always heard that aluminum is good for shooting once, but not so good for reloading.
I'm not a reloader, so I cannot attest to that.
Any reloaders out there that can put their two cents in?

·
Administrator
41,043 Posts
Never had a problem with aluminum. I have one handgun that doesn’t do steel very well. I just don’t feed it that stuff anymore.

·
Registered
7,310 Posts
I have shot over 300 rounds of Aluminum Blazer® 9mm 115gr FMJ through my G3C with no problems. No plans to ever use steel-cased ComBlock stuff.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I've actually reloaded aluminum casings just for poops and giggles because of brass stealers at USPSA/IDPA matches even though it's not recommended, I would spray paint it gold after reloading to see if it would make them change their ways.
No problems with it but I think I would use it within a couple of years even if it was factory fresh.

·
Registered
51 Posts
As stated above, I have reloaded aluminum cases, just to see if I could do it. They were .45ACP, and I got four shots from a case before I lost it. When aluminum cases first came on the market, they were Berdan primed, and you couldn’t readily reload them, but now all I have seen are Boxer primed, and are reloadable. The .45s above were target loads, I don’t know if I would load any barn burners in aluminum, though.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,710 Posts
1. I am a reloader, buying brass cased ammo is an investment in the future.
2. As an RSO on a range where "you shoot it! you pick it up!" Our biggest fight is with 22 LR, aluminum and steel case shooters.
3. If it works for you and you take it with you or put it in the trash; I'm good.

Reactions: jodyisaacs

·
Registered
37,336 Posts
MY range /gun shop lets you use steel cased, aluminum case and of course brass cased ammo.
they are interested in what the actual projectile is, no AP or incendiary .
they ask that when you finish shooting that you sweep any cases down range (past the firing line), and then at the end of the day they collect all the spent cases and eventually sale them, the steel and aluminum are separated from the brass that they sale to a commercial reloader.
all that said you are more than welcome to pick up your brass to take home with you.
and really if you ask nicely and aren't to obvious they might even let you pick up a few cases that others have left laying in some unusual calibers.--cough--cough-- cough--- 38 Super, 300 BO and 10 MM.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts