Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Alternative 24/7 firing pin springs

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  JimL 
#1 ·
I was just talking to Dave at Wolf Gunsprings at gunsprings.com. He made no promises, but left the possibility that if he got a run of requests he might at least put the Taurus 24/7 firing pin springs on the list to research. I for one would certainly like to see an alternative to a 7 pound SA trigger pull.

Is it known for sure whether all 24/7 guns have the same firing pin spring?

Also, are all of their cores a relatively soft plastic like mine or is a soft one the exception?

Thanks a million

JimL

#3 ·
I was told last night by my friend that my SA/DA has a heavy trigger pull. I am not experienced with handguns at all, but I like the pull on my trigger.

My friend said I'd probably get more accuracy if I had a lighter pull. That is something I am interested in.

#4 ·
MPanova said:
Im still not sure why your 24/7 has such a heavy SA pull but mine has what feels like a crisp 4-4.5lb pull in SA, and if I dry fire it the DA pull feels like its about 7lb's and it is very very smooth.
The fact that one computer or one car or one gun does fine has absolutely nothing to do with what someone else's gun does, but there is always someone who decides a complaint is out of order if their own whatever works OK. I hope that isn't what you are saying.

Taurus policy, as told me by 3 different Taurus employees, says that the 24/7 SA trigger pull is acceptable at anywhere from 4 to 7 pounds. As I have already said, those are junk specs. But as long as a pull is on that range they will NOT work on it. I'm sending it in for roughness. Maybe I can get them to try a different spring too.

I don't know if they deliberately use a flexible plastic to make the firing pin core, but if it bends to one side it could be one reason for roughness. Mine comes out with a definite bow. And pushing the pin back manually is smooth one way and rough the other way - perhaps because of the bowed core - perhaps because of pin barrel roughness. There is also the swage.

One thing is sure. The problem is "beyond" the trigger bar, i.e., in the slide. The actual reasons in my case? I don't know either. Perhaps the pull would be lower if the roughness weren't there. But whatever it is, it has been there since I first got it new.

Thanks a million

JimL

#5 ·
I wasnt saying because mine is 4.5lbs your should be exactly the same, but a 7lb SA pull seems like its a little heavy and maybe something is wrong other then the spring, If you put a lighter spring in there to lighten the pull you might start to get a lot of failures to fire. i would just send it back to Taurus and have them replace when ever is wrong in the trigger with your 24/7. I have 2 45's and both have very light crisp SA pulls and the 4 or 5 24/7's I have shot have the same trigger feel, out of the 20 or so I have picked up and messed with at the shows and shops they have all felt like mine, My wifes PT111 2nd gen DAO has about a 7lb double action pull

#6 ·
This is why Taurus has an UNLIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY. Print out a work order, be very specific in what you feel is wrong with your firearm, include references to other 24/7's that you have handled, and Taurus will make it right. It's as simple as that. :)

#8 ·
That does sound like the easiest way to deal with the issue. Ship the gun in for warranty work. Thats one of the advantages to having a Taurus. Just because one owner doesn't agree with the spec range doesn't make it junk or invalid. If someone doesn't like a particular gun/model you can always sell/trade it on a different one. I did that with a revolver not that long ago.

I can't think of the other forum that I'm on with it but I'll start looking later today when I have more time.

The way this is going I don't think the poor dead horse will have an intact bone left in his body!

Steelheart

#11 ·
MPanova said:
a 7lb SA pull seems like its a little heavy and maybe something is wrong other then the spring, If you put a lighter spring in there to lighten the pull you might start to get a lot of failures to fire. i would just send it back to Taurus and have them replace when ever is wrong in the trigger with your 24/7.
Several days ago I decided to send it in. As I said, they will work on it because of the roughness, even tho the pull is acceptable by their definition. But I'm the curious type and dig into everything in sight, dead horse comments notwithstanding. Rote answers don't interest me at all. So just out of curiosity and given that the pull without the slide is absolutely silky, what might be wrong other than the firing pin and the spring?
I have 2 45's and both have very light crisp SA pulls and the 4 or 5 24/7's I have shot have the same trigger feel,
As I said, probably elsewhere, that's how the ones in the store are.
out of the 20 or so I have picked up and messed with at the shows and shops they have all felt like mine, My wifes PT111 2nd gen DAO has about a 7lb double action pull
If I had had that much experience with them I would have known as soon as I opened the box to take it back or send it in. Instead I came to what had been touted as a very friendly forum and tried to get some experienced help with in-depth answers. Thankfully some, like you, offer it.

Thanks a million.

JimL

#12 ·
NYPD in AZ said:
Print out a work order, be very specific in what you feel is wrong with your firearm, include references to other 24/7's that you have handled, and Taurus will make it right.
I've been working on a letter listing what I'd like checked and/done. Is that what you mean? Or does "work order" mean something I should have found in my gun case? Or on line somewhere?

Thanks a million.

JimL

#15 ·
Most definantly, and they will tell you, be as detailed as possible. The more direct and detail you are, th emore chance you will have of them fixing your problem.

I will also give another piece of advice, make it short and to the point. If it's to long, they will prolly start skiming over it and not find the details they need hidden in the letter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.