Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stumbled upon an old thread where someone had installed a rear ghost ring that was originally intended for a Beretta 92. That ghost ring is no longer available (except in tritium), so I was wondering if there are any other ghost rings available for the PT 92 series. I had a Hi Point for a while (save the flames for something else please) and installed the ghost ring on that and it was a blast. Makes target acquisition quick, but still allows for precision if you take the extra time to fully align it. So, does anyone know anything about where to find a rear ghost ring that would work with the PT 92 series?

I also noticed the adjustable rear sight in another thread, and that looks handy. Does anyone have any other information on any other "non-original" sights it is possible to install on a 92 (or 917 really)?

·
Administrator
17,591 Posts
I stumbled upon an old thread where someone had installed a rear ghost ring that was originally intended for a Beretta 92. That ghost ring is no longer available (except in tritium), so I was wondering if there are any other ghost rings available for the PT 92 series. I had a Hi Point for a while (save the flames for something else please) and installed the ghost ring on that and it was a blast. Makes target acquisition quick, but still allows for precision if you take the extra time to fully align it. So, does anyone know anything about where to find a rear ghost ring that would work with the PT 92 series?
That someone with the PT92 with a Beretta 92 Ghost Ring Rear Sight is I. True, that particular Ghost Ring Rear Sight is not currently available. Entreprise Arms

Wonder if it would help to ask them if they ever plan to make them again.

Did a search for other Ghost Ring Sights for the Taurus 92 and came up empty. The idea is not new, but it seems that the Firearms Industry is a bit slow to catch up or employ this sight concept. I also have one on my much fussed over Colt 1911. They have been popular on other handguns such as Glocks and it amazes me that most Manufacturers are ignoring the concept.

Another option if you can't buy what you want is to make up one yourself. Converting the existing Rear Sight is a very safe bet. If you have a newer Pistol with a Polymer Rear Sight, Polymer or even Steel can be added onto with Epoxy. If you could find some Fiber Optic Rod big enough to drill a hole into, you could make a Glowing Ghost ring.

The link here is to a thread on another Forum (czfirearms) where one fella decided to make his own with the help of a Custom Gunsmith: Added GhostRing Pics* CZ 75D Compact 'PCR' with Hakan grips, Little Bear Holster

Taurus PT92 with low profile Enterpise Arms Ghost Ring Rear Sight.

Note: Stainless Steel Shims under Rear Sight, made from Automotive Feeler Gauge.

Also see Shooting with Ghost Rings: http://www.pistolworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=1875

Reactions: seafra

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Did an awful lot of searching. It looks like I could find a gunsmith to make a set but that's likely pricey (and still haven't found one who advertises the service). Alternatively, I could try my hand at making my own, but that could be imprecise (and expensive to boot). Finally, I found a sight maker who makes a hexagonal aperture sight here. They still aren't made for the Taurus, but they are available for Berettas and they look pretty decent. Perhaps I can find a way to shim them as you have done, jwc007.

I haven't ruled out making my own, as I have a few thoughts for that. Just need to figure out where I can buy a replacement stock rear sight so I can keep the original as well.

Any other tips, or rocks to look under?

ETA: Just found the price on those hexagonal sights. Ouch. Comparable to the tritium ghost ring from Enterprise.

·
Administrator
17,591 Posts
The Hexagonals are interesting, but too huge for my taste. Prefer something lower in profile like what I have. Best way to make a Rear Sight is to get a Replacement Sight for your Pistol and Modify it, making it into a Ghost Ring, in line with what You want!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Hexagonals are interesting, but too huge for my taste. Prefer something lower in profile like what I have. Best way to make a Rear Sight is to get a Replacement Sight for your Pistol and Modify it, making it into a Ghost Ring, in line with what You want!
That's what I'm thinking. Not sure where to get a replacement sight for modification though.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I wish they made a ghsot ring for my Ruger SR40.... Better yet, I wish Taurus would come out with a ghost ring set up for their revolvers. My eyes need all the help they can get! :D

·
Administrator
17,591 Posts
That's what I'm thinking. Not sure where to get a replacement sight for modification though.
I'm sure that Taurus Customer Service or Numrich Arms would sell you one. Problem is, the shipping might cost more than the part.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts