Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at the 24/7 OSS and the XD Tactical in 40 S&W, convince me why one is better than the other, and leave price out. I have a Standard XD Service and A milleniium Pro in 40 and want the larger pistol for serious shooting. Thanks, Les

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So nobody has anything good to say about the OSS? I'm surprised. Oh well.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Don't think anyone has gotten their hands on one yet! Set the pace, buy it and give a report!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I take it as no one has anything BAD to say about Taurus and have no real opinion on the XD tactical. Since I doubt any of us have had the privilge to handle a 24/7 OSS yet, other then quoting reviews (which are all outstanding) there isn't much we can say yet. Other then grab a 24/7 Pro and it will feel basically the same.

For me XD's and Glocks too for that matter feel boxy. Compare the slides of Glocks, XD's and Taurus pistols and I am sure you will quickly see how blocky the Glock and XD appear when sighting down the sights, while the Taurus slides look refined and sleek (not at all blocky). I could go on about the superior fit and feel of the grip in the hand of the shooter that the Taurus pistols have, but that would just be over-kill. ;)

I could ask why you what a 40cal., but that isn't really part of your question.

Also I should mention that the 24/7 OSS will be in desert Tan frame and Black for those that didn't know that...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have too many 45 right now, and won't go down to 9mm's. My shop here can get me an OSS, haven't asked the price yet, but it isn't a concern. Les

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
My primary carry is an XD Subcompact so I don't know where my bias (if any) might be. I'd suggest trying to find both guns at the same shop and see how they feel to you. Remember that they don't have to be in the same caliber, just the same frame.

As you already have an XD, the Tactical would share mags and possibly holsters where as the 24/7 wouldn't. But I don't think there will be much of a difference between the Service and the Tactical models.

Steelheart

·
32,785 Posts
The OSS model hasn't been around for long to have a verifiable track record on a large scale. Most members here have other Taurus models or similar ones. So trying to convince you when a gun seems to have been hard to find or other 24/7 models suffice is kind of silly on our part.
If there are members at the forum who have OSS models starting a new thread and asking them specifics might get more reaction.
There are just enough minor differences between OSS models and the others to warrant a seperate comparison between XDs and OSS models only and not 24/7s in general.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, here is the dilemma, I have a Millenium Pro and and the XD Service so I can go either way, grip feels good in both the Tactical and the Standard 24/7, can't see the OSS being much different in the grip. I'm actually starting to lean towards getting both. Les

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Now THAT sounds like a plan!

Steelheart

·
32,785 Posts
Why not? You're familiar with both types. Here's a kicker. If one gun gets taken into evidence because the pistol had to be used for defense that resulted in gunfire there is now a gun to replace the one going into evidence with the police.
Guns spend a long time away or may never be returned and you have to able to defend yourself.
There might be other firearms that you own that could take their place. However the pistols with service length barrels get better ballistics all the way round over their smaller brethren.
Now there is an excuse and sound reason to get both all rolled up neatly in one package. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:D Yeah, I'm liking that idea more and more, just have to convince the wife it is for thegreater good. :D Les

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Well, if you get them in the same colors you could try and convince her that they are the same gun.... Just don't let her see them both at the same time.

Steelheart

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was seriously thinking about that, but the don't have the Dark Earth for tactical any more just the OD and Black. :( Les

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My FFL let me know they will start recieving them at the Endo of June, I just wanted to get a jump. :grin:

·
Registered
299 Posts
Considering everything I've read about the OSS, it just may be my next .45. I've passed on all other 27/7's because I'm lefthanded. I'm not experienced with the XD Tactical, but the Service version is the most natural pointing handgun I've ever shot. And that's close to 50 years of handgun shooting.If the OSS is a good, natural pointing gun, I'll get it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm awaiting the price, I'm after the 40 S&W, is that what your looking for. Les

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not a problem. Les

1 - 20 of 20 Posts