Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my latest Glock, a nice little 27 Subcompact pistol. Got to playing around with it, placed a X-Grip magazine extended cover on one of my higher capacity magazines and I then had a subcompact with a respectable round count available and ready to go. So, I got to thinking (which can be dangerous).
Why not replace my compact size Glock that sits concealed next to my recliner with this new subcompact Glock and then replace my night stand Taurus
PT101P with the compact Glock 23?

All of the above mentioned pistols are .40S&W caliber. Wow!! Great idea, this would give me a smaller, lighter pistol on the night stand and with Night Sights to boot. So off I go doing a little pistol relocation exercise around the house...Pop the little subcompact snaps firmly onto the magnet and become hidden and concealed, off to the bedroom where I grab the PT101P and replace it with the Glock 23. Grabbed the extra loaded magazine that set near by the PT if ever needed. Then off to the kitchen where I began to remove the magazine and unload it.

But, I just couldn't do it. Don't know why, but just couldn't relieve the PT101P of its Post. While never needed or called upon, it served many a night providing me with a sense of added safety. Yes, it is larger, heavier, older, and offers a rail mounted flash light rather than night sights, but she is what she is. And she is still standing post on the night stand night after night.

Matter of fact the compact Glock 23 is back where it was serving its given duty and the new subcompact Glock is tucked away in my carry daily planner waiting to be called upon for an occasional trip either in the planner or tucked away in it's Fobus paddle holster.

Why did the Taurus PT101P remain favored over the Glocks? Maybe I'm still a Poly snob to some extent, or maybe the Taurus is like my TaurusArmed friends here on the forum in that I know you and it will always be there for me if ever called upon.

Thanks for hearing me out, you may now return to your regularly scheduled day.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Gee, the ammo bill for keeping your guns hidden around the house topped off would break most small countries! :)

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
I think you made a wise choice. Remember your pt101p will also make a nice swingable weapon should the need arise. Ask yourself this, would you rather swing a metal hammer or a plastic hammer?

·
Registered
14,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gee, the ammo bill for keeping your guns hidden around the house topped off would break most small countries! :)
I am sure glad I built up my ammo inventory before "Crazy Prices" began. Only nice thing that happened when the ammo prices went nuts was that as everyone was snapping up 50 round boxes of target ammo at high prices. Is that the inventory of personal protection ammo remained on the shelf and actually came down in price. Always surprised me that people would in the end of the equation pay more for 50 rounds of target ammo than what 50 rounds of PP ammo cost if purchased in lots of 20 or 25 rounds at a time.

·
Registered
27,644 Posts
Glad you came to your senses.
Question for you...
While I understand the value some place on lightness for a carry gun, why do you find value in light weight in a home defense gun? That would seem to be a place for the American solution - you know, bigger is better! :D

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Good for your PT101P. Nothing likes being replaced, and I'm sure your PT101P would have felt greatly emasculated by being replaced by a *gasp* Glock!

Reactions: Bender and jonrjen

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Ones gut feeling are not usually wrong

jhp

my mossburg pump is older than the hills but I understand her and she me and i know she wont let me down is why shes still by my bed. amost replaced with an ar 15. I taught all my boys to shoot with her and we hunted many times and shes never missed and alway made me look better than I was when shooting with the guys beer money. Old freinds can never be replaced

Reactions: jonrjen

·
Registered
24,853 Posts
You made the right choice.

·
Registered
14,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will agree on the weight points made here, and this is in part why I kept the PT101P in place. It is solid metal and could be used as a weapon in and of itself as a club, hammer or large metal object that could be thrown. Lightweight pistols do have there place such as conceal carry or for use on a magnet hold under a end table.
Maybe I just feel my age at time when I have been carrying a lightweight or ultra lite sidearm and then grab that large metal PT101P with a fully loaded magazine shoved up its butt. And to be honest about it, I think the loaded magazine on the 101P must weigh about the same as the unloaded PT101P.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Having a gun on the nightstand that points where your finger points is another plus for the PT.

Reactions: jonrjen
1 - 11 of 11 Posts