Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...:mellow:...I actually turned down a gun. My brother won a pistol in a local VFD raffle, a Glock 30 4G. He doesn't want it so he called the LGS that sold it to the VFD to see what his options are. He has to pick it up in the next few days or lose it but they did offer to keep the gun and instead, give him the sale price ($547) in store credit toward something else. Unfortunately, they don't have or handle anything he's interested in so he offered to give it to me. I hadda' say thanks but no thanks. :dunno:...never thought I'd see the day I'd turn down a free gun.

Reactions: 777Driver

·
Super Moderator
35,082 Posts
Finally, someone with principle. Congrats. :rofl:

Reactions: jtg452 and kschilk

·
Registered
18,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And, hey, you avoided Glock leg!
:D When he told me what it was, I hadda' ask "are the crutches included"? Some folks like 'em, I guess but I've never had any interest in 'em. It's not because of the Glock leg rep, it's just that nothing they make has ever looked or felt good to me.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
...:mellow:...I actually turned down a gun. My brother won a pistol in a local VFD raffle, a Glock 30 4G. He doesn't want it so he called the LGS that sold it to the VFD to see what his options are. He has to pick it up in the next few days or lose it but they did offer to keep the gun and instead, give him the sale price ($547) in store credit toward something else. Unfortunately, they don't have or handle anything he's interested in so he offered to give it to me. I hadda' say thanks but no thanks. :dunno:...never thought I'd see the day I'd turn down a free gun.
Do they have anything YOU are interested in?

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
I find it hard to believe a gun store could have nothing your interested in!
You could have got something even if you sell it to stock up on ammo or mags....
You both must have hit your heads recently!

·
Super Moderator
36,077 Posts
If I were your Bro...I would take the credit and either wait for something to come into stock that I liked...or have them order something that I wanted. That's a sweet raffle prize!

·
Premium Member
3,314 Posts
:D When he told me what it was, I hadda' ask "are the crutches included"? Some folks like 'em, I guess but I've never had any interest in 'em. It's not because of the Glock leg rep, it's just that nothing they make has ever looked or felt good to me.
So your dislike is such that you couldn't accept it, sell it, and use the money for a gun you do like?

Don

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
Yeah, that really sucks. I understand. So I'm going to try to help you out. Lemme' give you an address in Plano, TX that you can send that credit to. Will that do? What was the name of that LGS again? You got a web address for them?

·
Super Moderator
36,077 Posts
I'd be asking them to order in a Rossi 357...after all, they've been paid for the Glock by the raffle and they can sell the Glock to someone else.

·
Registered
18,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
According to the LGS, he has to pick up the gun within 10 days of the raffle or it goes back to the VFD for their next raffle. The (full) in store credit is only good for items currently in stock and everything there is sold at full MSRP. It's a small store and there's nothing much in stock in the way of guns or ammo, mostly just hunting rifles and fad items. He could order something else but nothing will come in before the date he has to pick up the Glock. In that case, he has to pick up the gun first and bring it back as a trade-in when his order finally comes in. Even though the gun would be left in the box untouched and with no seals broken, once the transfer paperwork has been done, the LGS will still consider it a used gun and knock 30% off of its original value toward the trade which takes it from $547, down to $382.90. When you figure his mark-up on whatever that remainder would go toward, you're comin' out at real close to nothin'. The dude's a scalper and I told my brother if it were me, I'd forfeit the gun. It wouldn't get me anything but it'd keep this crook from making out hugely. My brother's only got a few bucks invested in the raffle tickets and there are times when even free, just isn't worth it.

Reactions: CaptainMorgan

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
According to the LGS, he has to pick up the gun within 10 days of the raffle or it goes back to the VFD for their next raffle. The (full) in store credit is only good for items currently in stock and everything there is sold at full MSRP. It's a small store and there's nothing much in stock in the way of guns or ammo, mostly just hunting rifles and fad items. He could order something else but nothing will come in before the date he has to pick up the Glock. In that case, he has to pick up the gun first and bring it back as a trade-in when his order finally comes in. Even though the gun would be left in the box untouched and with no seals broken, once the transfer paperwork has been done, the LGS will still consider it a used gun and knock 30% off of its original value toward the trade which takes it from $547, down to $382.90. When you figure his mark-up on whatever that remainder would go toward, you're comin' out at real close to nothin'. The dude's a scalper and I told my brother if it were me, I'd forfeit the gun. It wouldn't get me anything but it'd keep this crook from making out hugely. My brother's only got a few bucks invested in the raffle tickets and there are times when even free, just isn't worth it.
Honestly, this makes absolutely no sense to me at all.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
36,077 Posts
I'd take the Glock then and GunBroker it as NIB.

·
Super Moderator
36,077 Posts
Why let the gun shop work on those funds for another cycle?

·
Registered
18,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
PA governor Wolf (obama's ho) issued a "red flag" executive order a few days ago during the National Kneejerk Competitions, a lot of it supposedly targets non-store sales/transfers so I doubt even the LGS knows what options are still there. I did refer him to one of my customers who puts on gun shows, hopefully he can help him do something with it. I still say he should just donate the ticket back to the VFD and take the tax deduction.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts