Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just posted about my first trip to the range with my 24/7 at http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=6259.60. While I was pretty positive, I forgot one key problem.

After the slide locks open as I empty a magazine, I would slam in a new one - not terribly hard, mind you, but definitely soundly. Every time I used any more than a cautious amount of effort sliding in a loaded magazine, the slide would close on the magazine, loading a round. It was actually kind of scary.

Any suggestions? How can I fix that problem? Just more caution?

Thanks,

Dale

·
Registered
27 Posts
Problem? That's not a bug. That's a feature!

Seriously, semi-automatic pistols are bred to allow the shooter to prevail in a gunfight. Once you've gone through your magazine and find the problem still not resolved it is a comfort to know that when you press the magazine release with your right thumb dropping the empty magazine and at the same time use your left hand to pull out your backup magazine and ram it home, you are instantly ready to continue engaging the object of your annoyance with a round chambered and ready to fire.

Not a bug. A feature.

Obviously we must be certain our pistols are pointed safely at all times, most particularly when a loaded magazine is inserted and unfailingly absolutely when a round is chambered.

·
Registered
514 Posts
That does seem a little odd that the action of inserting a loaded magazine would cause the slide catch to release. If I remove the magazine from my 24/7 with the slide locked, it takes a far amount of force to push the slide catch down and release the slide. Have you tried pushing down the catch with the slide locked and no magazine? I am curious about how much force it takes on your gun. My theory is that your slide catch might not be catching as well...and the jar of inserting the loaded mag might be releasing it.

I don't think it's supposed to happen...but that being said...it might be a nice feature to have. ;)

Check out this thread...

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=7527.0

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did some more testing. Even if I lock the slide open on an empty gun manually (versus the automatic operation when the last round is fired) when I firmly seat a loaded magazine, the slide closes. I also tried it with a magazine loaded with only one round to see if it was a weight thing. Even with one round, the slide closed but the round did not fully slide into the chamber and the slide locked onto the unseated round.

I tried with an empty magazine and could not reproduce the issue. I tried beating, banging, hitting, and otherwise jarring the gun with the slide locked and no magazine but was unable to knock the slide loose from the locked position.

I read the thread you suggested. I don't have any significant problem closing the slide manually. I'm left handed so I operate the slide release with my left index finger. It takes what feels like a reasonable amount of force to release but it does release. The pressure I have to exert doesn't cause the gun or my hand to move but the release also doesn't just fall down, either. It feels pretty right.

Dale

·
Registered
8 Posts
I also just came back from the range and I also have the same problem but mine is a 24/7 pro 9mm.....when installing a full mag the slide goes forward loading around into the chamber the thing I noticed was it loaded as DA not SA, it is a nice feature but I'm not sure if it should do that...I am also a lefty maybe it's a lefty thing
Apart form that I have put 200 rounds threw the gun with a mix of ammo not one ftf...Sights need a little adjusting but that's an easy fix.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I like this feature.
My 24/7 .45 is ready to fire SA when I pop in a loaded mag.
There called "automatics" right? ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
fl4guy said:
I like this feature.
My 24/7 .45 is ready to fire SA when I pop in a loaded mag.
There called "automatics" right? ;)

That's right you could call it that, this evening I loaded the mag with two less shells and guest what it's not automatic anymore
:D

·
Registered
202 Posts
That's right you could call it that, this evening I loaded the mag with two less shells and guest what it's not automatic anymore
:D

Thanks for sharing that, vtx.
I just emptied a mag the slow way:

remove magazine/
eject chambered round/
lock slide open/
jam in loaded mag/
repeat.

After 8 cycles I had to use alot more force than I normally load with but mine stayed "automatic" till the mag was empty. So now I know not to carry any half empty mags!
I do wonder about the seemingly inconsistencies of our guns though, maybe different break-in styles or lubes? Guns with individual personality?
Lamar

[/quote]

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
fl4guy, can you elaborate? While I agree about carrying half empty mags, I don't get the relationship to the problem of slides closing unexpectedaly or innapropriately. Or how the term "automatic" applies. Are you saying your gun goes into full auto mode?

·
Registered
202 Posts
dalepres said:
fl4guy, can you elaborate? While I agree about carrying half empty mags, I don't get the relationship to the problem of slides closing unexpectedaly or innapropriately. Or how the term "automatic" applies. Are you saying your gun goes into full auto mode?
Hi Dale,
I didn't mean full auto mode but if my gun were to develop that feature, I could live with it!!!

I just don't consider an automatic "go straight to battery when loading magazine" function as a problem or inappropriate and it was never unexpected since I learned of it from this forum.
I'm sure this worries some shooters but I personally like it.

Lamar

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a brand new 24/7 45 acp. First trip to the range, the first loaded mag I put in the gun, the slide went forward by itself. Didn't do it again after that. I wasn't surprised when it happened because of the posts that I have read about it, but it didn't do it again. I shot over 100 rnds with perfect reliability. The gun shot low until I got used to the sights.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
My .40 24/7 has always done this. There have been other threads on this too. Some guys like it, some don't. I personally do like for now. If I start having problems with my slide release I won't like it anymore.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts