Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped and fondled this at my favorite LGS today.

Love the grips with the bull, not a fan of the ambi safety

But... Wow is this heavy in the front... Must be that big chuck of steel used for the rail.

I have a full size stainless Ruger SR1911 and it is nowhere close to this heavy (the SR1911 has no front rail)

This won't last long

FB_IMG_1586495367782_1586495656974.jpg

·
Administrator
35,116 Posts
Yessir, nothing wrong with the rail. I guess 1911 purists would complain but I sure don't. Mine is the aluminum alloy frame so it's probably not as heavy as a regular PT1911.

-

Attachments

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Just me but .....

Putting a rail on a classic, like a 1911 is like putting a digital led dashboard in a '57 Chevy Belair. Just ain't supposed
to be there.

All the Best,
D. White

·
Registered
36,023 Posts
Just me but .....

Putting a rail on a classic, like a 1911 is like putting a digital led dashboard in a '57 Chevy Belair. Just ain't supposed
to be there.

All the Best,
D. White

I agree almost ALWAYS!
its just damn ugly to me, same with all the cocking serrations all up and down the slide, I mean if you have a 1911 that has that many problems operating that you need that many cocking serrations to clear jams then junk it or fix it!
and YES- I have 1911 with/ without, rails and all the extra serrations.
on a straight up competition pistol I can see the extra weight under the barrel, but I ain't a laser/light,type of pistol guy except for my front pocket carry pistol!

Attachments

Reactions: muddcatt54

·
Registered
36,023 Posts
Yessir, nothing wrong with the rail. I guess 1911 purists would complain but I sure don't. Mine is the aluminum alloy frame so it's probably not as heavy as a regular PT1911.

-
THE PURDY version of the same pistol---LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
16,494 Posts
I have a Rock Island 1911 in 9 mm and it as no rail, it is like the G 70 model (I think that is the right #) and they had no rail.

·
Super Moderator
35,521 Posts

·
Supporting Moderator
5,349 Posts
Mine has a rail, does a wonderful job on recoil with that weight in front....................

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
OP, "almost" only counts in a game of horse shoes or hand grenades. ;)

·
Registered
36,023 Posts
Mine has a rail, does a wonderful job on recoil with that weight in front....................
Not a 1911 but!!
this was designed for competition.
they added about 4 ounces to the rail over the standard CZ SP-01, they also relieved the grip frame rear to allow the hand to be further under the weapon, and of course being a CZ it already has a super low Bore line.
and yep it works, its a 9 MM and almost just hovers on the target when fired.
so yea the added weight below the barrel and toward the muzzle does help, but doesn't make tote a lot easier over a long day.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
34,944 Posts
You think just stopping at a gun shop to look around is worth leaving the house and risking bringing home the virus?

I'm just asking, doesn't seem worth it to me....

Don
I'm at high risk for the virus and at higher risk in my wallet. I'd just drove on by that gun shop. :rofl:

Man, I am diabetic, 67 years old, have a blood cancer which hurts my leukocyte and erythrocyte counts, and I'm anemic as heck. I'm ready to confess my sins if I get the virus. I know I'm gone if I get it, be easier on my physically. Hard to do anything physical anymore. I'd almost welcome it, tell ya the truth, but I soldier on. Don't want the wife going through what I went through when my first wife passed. She never had a spouse pass away, always divorced 'em, first. :rofl:

Reactions: muddcatt54

·
Supporting Moderator
5,349 Posts
Gentlemen, settle down........................

Reactions: TrucksNCoffee

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Almost don't count. I could fill a dozen safes I almost bought with guns I almost bought. Go back and buy it!
I'll second that.:)

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
17,571 Posts
Not a fan of rails on anything really. I don't use them and at least in the case of the 1911 they look funny to me. But some guns that were designed with rails in mind look good. I still don't use them.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts