Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I was in a store looking for a compact 1911 to carry. Now I love my pt1911, but it has a rail and is therefore not the easiest firearm to carry especially if I want to use a IWB holster. Anyway, i came upon a Kimber CPD pro ii for $1250. That gun just felt right in my hand. HOWEVER, the price just didnt feel right to the wallet. Also, again, the Taurus PT1911 is truly a quality firearm hands down. Not knocking Kimbers at all. They are really nice. But I think I am just going to get a duotone PT1911. Yes I have looked at the RIA Citadel, but I the PT1911 has spoiled me with all the custom features it has. I will say if Taurus ever came out with a compact 1911 I would be all over it. I think this is an untapped market I hope the enter and soon!!!!!

·
Registered
13,949 Posts
If you are set on a 1911 style pistol for CCW I highly recommend the Colt Defender. Short, lightweight, accurate to a Tee and a true pleasure to shoot. I have it in the .45, but it does come in smaller calibers. FWIW, I paid some where around $920 for mine including TT&L.
If you are open to another suggestion and can find one, look at the Taurus PT-945. A little larger and heavier, but not by much. Still a pleasure to shoot, all metal, lifetime warranty, manual safety and decocker and a whole bunch lighter feel in the wallet. Should be in the $450 area for a NIB>

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
This weekend I was in a store looking for a compact 1911 to carry. Now I love my pt1911, but it has a rail and is therefore not the easiest firearm to carry especially if I want to use a IWB holster. Anyway, i came upon a Kimber CPD pro ii for $1250. That gun just felt right in my hand. HOWEVER, the price just didnt feel right to the wallet. Also, again, the Taurus PT1911 is truly a quality firearm hands down. Not knocking Kimbers at all. They are really nice. But I think I am just going to get a duotone PT1911. Yes I have looked at the RIA Citadel, but I the PT1911 has spoiled me with all the custom features it has. I will say if Taurus ever came out with a compact 1911 I would be all over it. I think this is an untapped market I hope the enter and soon!!!!!
For $1250.00 you could buy a couple of real nice Taurus handguns. (I'm sure that thought crossed your mind as you salivated over the lovely Kimber.) :rolleyes:

Reactions: sparks9293

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
If you are open to another suggestion and can find one, look at the Taurus PT-945. A little larger and heavier, but not by much. Still a pleasure to shoot, all metal, lifetime warranty, manual safety and decocker and a whole bunch lighter feel in the wallet. Should be in the $450 area for a NIB>
I'll give a second endorsement for the 945, i love my stainless one and it has a good feel in my hands. Factory ported barrel, lighter than it should be, but heavy enough to feel good. Minus the grip safety, but it does have a beaver tail so you will probably be comfortable with the grip from first grasp. Mine was gently used and repaired by Taurus once at least before i bought it, but it's also a 12 year old gun. The newer ones come with rails on front, and personally i only like rails on long guns. But they still decock and can be carried safely in Condition 1 all day long.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have a PT 1911 and love it. Fits my hands well and and makes me look like a great shooter. But it's hard for me to conceal and it's rather heavy. So I also began to covet the Kimber and picked up the Stainless Ultra Carry II. Fits my hand like a glove, very easy on the eyes and shoots great. No problems so far. The only change will be to replace the sights but otherwise I love to carry the Kimber. Love to shoot the PT 1911 and it goes with me in the woods.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I have never found much difference in carrying a full size 1911 and an officers size. The weight is the same and they draw the same. If you want to carry a 1911 and HAVE to have a Taurus, get the PT1911. I owned a PT1911 and got rid of it because it had the aluminum frame and a lightweight just never felt right to me.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
the kimbers are nice i own one, but for the price the pt 1911 is by far a much better deal. accuracy difference between my kimber and my pt 1911 is almost non exsistent. i to wish tauras would make a commander and/or officers model. when carrying concealed length of barrel is not hard to conceal, it is the grip that is hard to conceal. i have a desantis intruder IWB (crossbread clone) i carry my pt 1911 in and it is comfortable once it breaks-in. i also have a Blackhawk carbon fiber OTB that holds pt 1911 close to body if using the belt loops,when using the paddle that came with it, the grip of the pistol tends to cant away from the body.

·
Registered
31,907 Posts
I almost bought a Kimber Ultra Carry and then saw how many Green Stamps it would take to acquire one. For that kind of money it better be an engraved Browning!

·
Registered
36,319 Posts
I have never found much difference in carrying a full size 1911 and an officers size. The weight is the same and they draw the same. If you want to carry a 1911 and HAVE to have a Taurus, get the PT1911. I owned a PT1911 and got rid of it because it had the aluminum frame and a lightweight just never felt right to me.
Really??
strange as to me there is good bit of difference, both in weight and size.
now a Commander i can't tell a lot of difference but them fewer rounds in the magazine (figuring that 2 rounds of 45 weigh an ounce) and certainly the much shorter grip , not even considering the barrel length of an inch or two.
i guess every body has thier likes, i don't like a officers size for reliability but not bad for carry in my opinion.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I looked at a bunch of Kimbers today. I really like the Pro Carry SS. I don't know whether I can justify the $900 price tag.

·
Registered
36,319 Posts
I looked at a bunch of Kimbers today. I really like the Pro Carry SS. I don't know whether I can justify the $900 price tag.
AHH, starting with the cheap one are you??-LOL

·
Registered
318 Posts
I looked at the Kimber Pro Carry II. Found a used one for $750.00. Haven't bought it yet but really thinking hard about it.

·
Registered
29,902 Posts
I've owned a number of Commanders, Combat Commanders and Officer/Sub-Compact 1911's over the past 50+ years.

I have to say for 100% reliability with all loads available, and the best/most prevelent choices in holsters and after market gear, nothing beats the full sized 1911 platform.

With "Devine Intervention" Bro. John Moses Browning got it right the first time.

The "Ergonomic Angels" :angel: were looking over his shoulder that day. :D

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The 945 seems like an excellent gun but I am having a hard time finding one to examine. I will keep looking. Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Take a look at the ATI FX Titan if you are interested in a compact .45. Good price point and mine has been 100% reliable.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts

·
Registered
36,319 Posts
Now that I'm on a fixed income, I have to watch my pennies.
He-He-He, you are on a higher FIXED income than i am if you are looking at Kimbers!-LOL

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
He-He-He, you are on a higher FIXED income than i am if you are looking at Kimbers!-LOL
I also walked out with 7 weeks pay, and a severence pay package. We'll talk about the reality of fixed income in a few months. After two weeks, it still feels like being on vacation.

·
Registered
36,319 Posts
I also walked out with 7 weeks pay, and a severence pay package. We'll talk about the reality of fixed income in a few months. After two weeks, it still feels like being on vacation.
well congradulations on the retirement!
I been retired now since 1998, I miss the guys that i worked with but honestly haven't missed the job one bit!
I seldom even armchair quarterback fires i see on the television anymore!-LOL

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
36 years in the CATV business, i'm still looking up when I drive down the road. The high winds and snow today made me real glad that I wasn't out there! Back to the original subject. I think I'm going to pass on Kimbers. They are beautiful firearms, but my PT1911 goes bang exactly like it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts