Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I was referred here through a link and thought I would join up in this forum more specific to Taurus. I just purchased a Taurus PT 1911 from a gun shop for about $450.00. It's working real nice, but a few guys on the other forum warned me that it was bad to let the slide slam shut without a bullet in the chamber, because it could damage parts like the sear. I'm praying that it didn't damage my gun, because I did this like ten times when getting the hang of how a 1911 works. They informed me about this when I asked if it was okay to dry-fire the Taurus. I've only dry-fired it twice on accident. What really irks me is that the manual never said ANYTHING about allowing the slide to smack shut, or whether it's bad or not. Why don't they add that info to the manual, if it's so important! Sheesh...

Anyways, I'm new here, and hoping I didn't screw anything up or weaken any parts in my gun! I'm from Southern Utah...

Nate :'(

·
Registered
71 Posts
If you had a custom gun with custom trigger parts like a 1/2 pound trigger bullseye gun. Slamming the slide home on an empty chamber could damage the sear.
But it is not something you want to get into a habit of doing on any 1911. You can damage the locking lugs of the slide and the frame. Doing it 10 times won't hurt it though. And it is going to happen by accident every once in a while too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
From my experience letting the slide slam shut won't hurt anything SO LONG AS a round isn't in the chamber. If a round is inserted into the chamber (first) allowing the slide to slam shut can cause extractor trouble since it is forced to ride over the casing to contact the inside of the rim. As for dry firing, I would suggest if you want to dry fire (for trigger practice) that you insert a snap cap into the chamber which literally cushions the firing pin upon impact.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well this reiterates the question, why do they not have this mentioned in the manual!? That is what surprises me! I'm really doing my homework now, and looking for more info. Any other advice offered here is appreciated... Thanks guys for the info!!!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Generally manuals cover basic operation, safety, shooting, cleaning and care of the firearm. I've heard a few tales like your talking about and actually don't see why it should hurt. I personally wouldn't worry about and I think excessive dry firing hot loads would be more of a concern for any firearm then a slide doing what its suppose to do. If your at all concerned, just drop in a snap cap for your own peace of mind.

·
Registered
54 Posts
what do you all mean buy slam shut???i have a 1911 too....you metion loaded and unloaded doing this????

·
Registered
16 Posts
fltrucker73 said:
what do you all mean buy slam shut???i have a 1911 too....you metion loaded and unloaded doing this????
1911 unloaded...slide locked to the rear...no magazine OR empty magazine in the grip...drop the slide lock (lever) and SLAM...the slide slams shut. My point...if it's unloaded and/or no round in the chamber then no problem. But is one manually inserts a round into the chamber then slams the slide closed it will cause the extractor to forceably ride over the case rim to its resting position. The forceably riding can cause extractor failure (eventually).

·
Registered
71 Posts
If you are even remotely into 1911's you need to be a member of this site:
http://forum.m1911.org/index.php?

Here is a sticky on that site that talks about why it is bad to drop the slide on empty 1911. I would think it applies to any autoloader and I do not drop the slide on an empty chamber on any of my pistols.

http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=11707

The real damage in slide-dropping is to the lower barrel lugs and...to a lesser
extent...the slidestop crosspin. Pity those tiny feet on the bottom of the lug.
Those feet bear the brunt in bringing that 16-ounce slide to a stop under
whatever momentum is given it by a 16-pound recoil spring. The lugs can deform toward the rear...which delays unlock and linkdown timing...moves the slide forward on the frame at about 3 times the amount of
deformation ...throws shock stresses on the front lug and barrel junction...and puts shear stresses on the slidestop crosspin. Stresses that these parts were never intended to bear.
Putting a round in the chamber and droping the slide on it with mess up the extractor too.

·
Registered
71 Posts
When a round is pushed out of the mag by the slide, it slides up the breach face under the extractor. When you put a round in the chamber and let the slide slam home the extractor has to snap over the case rim.

I think the Beretta 92/M9 and the Taurus 92/99 etc are the only pistols that have a extractor design you can do that, without damaging the extractor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Whirlwind06 said:
Putting a round in the chamber and droping the slide on it with mess up the extractor too.
OK, I'm a noob with the PT, but seems to me if the gun is advertised as having a capacity of 8+1, you have to allow the slide to go home with a round already in the chamber. If that is the case, then the extractor(s) should be designed to handle that.

Am I missing something here?

Shower note* edit: Maybe proper procedure needs to be explained/outlined?

Rather than dropping a round in the chamber, allowing the slide go to battery, then stuffing in a loaded mag - would the proper procedure be to stuff in a mag, allow the slide go to battery stripping off (and chambering) the top round, remove the mag and re-insert the 8th. round, then stuff it back in the gun?

Like I said, I'm a noob but trying to get answers.

*Shower note - stuff thought of when taking a shower. :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Guy Young said:
Rather than dropping a round in the chamber, allowing the slide go to battery, then stuffing in a loaded mag - would the proper procedure be to stuff in a mag, allow the slide go to battery stripping off (and chambering) the top round, remove the mag and re-insert the 8th. round, then stuff it back in the gun?
This is the way I was taught.

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
I would agree with the comment from Guy Young, & the quote from
comet66: but after chambering a round from the magazine, the gun is
ready to fire. I would then put the safety on. Only then
would I extract the magazine to add another round to it.

There wasn't any mention about putting the pistol on safe.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts