Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The reviews on the retail sites are all mostly great. Anyone in our community using the new tuck 3.0? I was thinking about giving IWB a second chance and ordering one of these based on the overwhelming "super comfortable" reviews for this holster.

Any real world reviews from our trusted community here would be welcome. Thanks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've got the older model without the steel liner. For a light gun it works good. I think the steel liner version will be better. The older models are rigid vertically and carry a gun comfortably. However, when holstering the pistol the fabric backing tends to press into the molded holster. This creates resistance which has to be overcome when inserting the gun. Not hard to do and maybe not a big deal, but I notice that my hybrid holsters with leather backing don't collapse and holstering is easier.

All those words and didn't answer your question. Sorry about that!

·
Registered
5 Posts
The reviews on the retail sites are all mostly great. Anyone in our community using the new tuck 3.0? I was thinking about giving IWB a second chance and ordering one of these based on the overwhelming "super comfortable" reviews for this holster.

Any real world reviews from our trusted community here would be welcome. Thanks.

I have it. It is comfortable. I always wear a shirt tucked under mine, not because of the holster rubbing, but because the grip of the pt111 is so rough LOL. you really don't know it's there if you wear it from 4-6 o clock. I don't see it being great anywhere else. You can wear it up front if you don't plan on sitting down. I have worn mine a bit this week, and wore it the past two days all day long on fishing/hiking trips, and almost forgot it was there. I don't have a ton of other holsters to compare it to, but I really like it and I'm glad I made the purchase. The retention is great, the gun isn't gona come out or loose. Clips on well with the normal clips to the belt, and tons of adjustment to get it just right for your preference from ride height to cant to retention.

If you have any specific questions I can answer for you I would be glad to help out.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have one, and when carrying the PT111 G2, it's as comfortable as you're going to get for carrying IWB. I've worn it for 6 - 8 hours at a time, and again for IWB carry, it rides great. Adjustable for your liking or preference, soft against the skin, good retention and easy enough to draw from. Keep in mind holsters are a subjective or preferential thing. Unfortunately no one opinion, or opinions, mean the holster is good for you. But they do give you a starting point and you could do a lot worse than the Tuck 3.0. Good luck!

·
Registered
938 Posts
I bought one for my SR1911CMD and my PT-111 G2 as well due to the fact I have two friends with Alien Gear holsters and they recommended them. I bought the one for my Ruger first and liked it enough to buy the one for my Taurus. I wear it at the 4:30-5 o'clock position and while I can tell it is there ( I am not used to it and haven't been carrying long) it is not uncomfortable at all. Alien Gear has the 30 day test drive so you can order one and see how it works for you and send it back if you don't like it or it isn't going to work out for you. The one thing you need to remember no matter what holster you wind up with, you will need a good, firm belt. I was wearing a regular leather belt which let the holsters sag a little but I bought a DalTech Bio Belt and have not had a problem since.

There is one thing I have learned that you need to check if you order one, trigger coverage. People have posted pictures of the holsters they have ordered and the shell on some has been cut too short. This causes the trigger to not be fully protected.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I need a new belt if I'm gonna go this route. Alien gear has them in their site.

Sent from my Moto X Pure Edition 2015

·
Registered
6,900 Posts
I had a 2 and then got a 3, liked it enough to get a 2nd 3 for another gun. They are comfortable holsters, i would get the 3 over the 2, my 2 the material inside the backing broke, but they replaced the backing no problems and no cost, i also swapped the shell of the 2 for another gun, also no problem and no cost, they are great for that kind of thing, they will exchange shells for free for life, and the holsters have a lifetime warranty any issues they make it right.

The 3 is like everyone else has said, you wont even notice it is there. however i will add one thing, you need a good rigid belt for this kind of thing, if you have a flexible or soft leather belt then the weight of the holster and gun will drag it down. and you will either have to make the belt uncomfortably tight, or keep pulling up your pants.

I have used other holsters, such as sticky holsters, and a desantis in the past, those smaller ones allow a degree of freedom in where to wear it, that you wont get on one of the larger holster types like the tuck 3, it is pretty much built for certain areas. however, it does have a lot of adjustability, you can set the 2 belt clips into one of 3 places on each side, they also have rubber spacers that go between the back and the shell that give more or less retention.

Only issue i have aside from i was using the wrong belt at first, is, the screws that hold on the shell and the clips will work loose over time, so if you use it a lot check them every now and then for tightness, you can always tell when they need a little attention cause they will move by just your finger at that time. I am sure some locktight would fix this, but i dont want to chance stripping the screws trying to loosen them should i ever need to.

All in all for the price especially, i dont think you can find a better holster anywhere, even in twice the price category they are as good as the others. About the only change i would like to see is, with all the space these holsters have, i'd like it if they could add a magazine pouch to them as a option.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Would a dickies work belt work for IWB or do you need something even stronger than that?

·
Registered
950 Posts
SAM_0719.JPG SAM_0720.JPG Just bought a 3.0 for my C100. Have a 2.0 for my SD9VE, and there is a worlds of difference between the two. 3.0 over 2.0 anytime!!

Reactions: csmlet

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Would a dickies work belt work for IWB or do you need something even stronger than that?

Well the stiffer the better. Dickies work belts don't measure up to the gun belts though. I bought a Hank's Amish gun belt and they are seriously thick and stiff. They make heavier models than I have too but I went with the standard gun belt trying to keep the price down. It made a big difference.

·
Registered
938 Posts

I tried a Carhart belt and while it was stiff, it wasn't stiff enough. A lot of members on the Indiana Gun Owners forum recommend the Daltech BioBelt and that is why I bought one. Been great so far and I wear it even when not carrying. The holes are closer than those on a normal belt so you can make sure it is snug. Daltech is also an Indiana company so that was a plus.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How much? Sorry I'm at work and can't research it yet.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a 2.0 for my EAA windicator .357mag. Revolver. I like it and it rides well. The EAA is very heavy, so I don't carry it that often. I bought a 3.0 for my Taurus PT140 G2. Immediately liked it. Comfortable (i sometimes carry for 10-12 hours per day), re-holsters easily and quickly with minimum of fumbling. I too bought a concealed carry belt. They are "laid up" different and sewn different. Worth the $$$. This helps keep the gun from sagging and leaning out from your waist. Do you want to print in public and have to spend your precious time explaining to a police officer why someone called and reported "a man with a gun"?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just ordered the superbio belt and tuck 3.0. Excited to try this out.

Reactions: Mutt

·
Registered
938 Posts
Just ordered the superbio belt and tuck 3.0. Excited to try this out.

I think you will be very happy with your purchases.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I just picked up one for a PT111G2 and applied some heat to get my Rev 1 PT111 to fit. It is surprisingly more comfortable than the equivalent hybrid design with a leanther backing that I have for the PT709. It will take that leather a while to break in.

How do you tell if it is a 2.0 or 3.0?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You can't see the screws on the back on the 3.0

1 - 20 of 43 Posts