Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ROCHESTER, Minn. (FOX 47) – On Tuesday, the jury for the Alexander Weiss case couldn’t reach a verdict, forcing Judge Joseph Chase to declare a second mistrial, turning this into a complicated process.

FOX 47 talked to Meshbesher and Spence Law Partner, Zach Bauer, a legal expert, independent from the case, to talk about what this means and what could be coming next.

He says in his experience, it would be rare and uncommon to see a case tried more than three times, but the future of the case is now in the hands of the prosecutor, whether they want to go through a third trial.

“There’s really no limits to the amount of times it can be retried,” said Zach Bauer.

https://myfox47.com/2019/10/23/alexander-weiss-case-reaching-rare-territory-with-potential-for-a-third-trial/

So they have had two opportunities to convict this man and two hung juries? Now they want a third?

If you are not aware of this case, there is a lot out there about it. It is amazing how the various articles read though. The MSM is definitely biased against this man and his audacity to defend himself yet there are other sources that do not seem to be biased.

The MSM had him convicted before the trial and cannot believe that the juries do not see it their way. The MSM keeps saying the guy had a duty to retreat, which is the law in MN, but the guy did step back a few steps and the attacker continued to advance.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
With its almost unlimited resources, the prosecution likely has no qualms to retry the case. The defendant, on the other hand, may have issues. I believe the operative phrase is "Innocent until proven broke."

·
Super Moderator
19,740 Posts
I was not familiar with this case before opening this thread but gotta say based on what I’ve read so far, seems like a good shoot. Glad the folks in the heartland on NY State are holding firm. I would like to know the jury split, though, too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts