Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a side mount on my WASR AK with a red dot mounted. So far, no problems keeping it zeroed.

I'd like to add a 4x scope to it ----- don't need more power thatn that because I consider it a short-range weapon.

I could use the side mount, which has weaver/pickatinny rails, but wondering if a top mount would be more stable. Problem is, I'd have to buy it on-line and not sure from write-ups how SOLID they are. The original AK cover is, of course, just a cheap plastic, and it's held in only by the spring pressure at the end of the recoil assembly. Are any top mounts sutrdier than that - - - - - are they any that some of you might recommend?

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
Side, someone was making a scout scope type mount that was located on the rear sight or gas tube that looked promising, dont recall who or how well it worked but it had to be better than the ones on the cover.

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
It has been my experience with any AK style rifle (including my Saigas) that the side mount is the only mount that can be trusted to stay tight and maintain a zero.The top mounts are just not to be trusted.Both methods actually put the scope a little to high and it can be difficult to get and keep a consistant cheek weld but the side mount has always worked best for me.Don

Reactions: rogertc1

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
The whole concept of an AK-47 staying zeroed is laughable at best. Just use anything you want - what's the worst that could happen? It's Russian - just shoot more at your target!

I'm sorry, I was on an FPSRussia tear.

·
Administrator
18,191 Posts
If you don't mind using a Long Eye Relief/Pistol/Scout Scope, the Ultimak Gas Tube mount is very very stable as it is clamped to the Barrel. I use a Hammers Dot Sight on mine.

Egyptian Maadi AKM with modifications

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
I recently got rid of the quick release side mount and changed to the side mount with set screws. I think they are more stable. The Saiga .223 I have it mounted to is much more accurate than the WASR 7.62 x 39. I think with a new trigger group, I would be impressed. New trigger groups would help both tremendously.

·
Registered
570 Posts
The whole concept of an AK-47 staying zeroed is laughable at best. Just use anything you want - what's the worst that could happen? It's Russian - just shoot more at your target!

I'm sorry, I was on an FPSRussia tear.
Da I know this FPS Russian , he cooks бекон on his Kalashnikov.

<span id="post_content_3725067_in_place_editor">

·
Registered
91 Posts
AK side scope mounts are most realible and cost effective. Even the UTG side rail mount is solid and holds zero.
There are couple top cover mounts on the market that are solid, such as TWS and Kerbs. They are pricy but proven hold zero.
http://www.texasweaponsystems.com/id1.html
http://www.krebscustom.com/ProductLine/Rail_System-AssembledLocked.shtml
Another new cheaper version that copys the Kerbs idea, seems solid but not enough range reports yet:
http://leapers.com/prod_detail.php?mitem=mount&itemno=MNT-988Q

I prefer TWS DOG LEG GEN-2 scope rail which has rear GRS (longer sight radius), low mount rail proper cheek weld and for co-witness RDS setup, and still keeping the easy access for dust cover removal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts