Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you was to have to have one of these civilian firearms for survival or a SHTF scenario. Which one would it be? I am talking society has collapsed, you are on your own. This has become your main weapon for self defense and hunting for food. You have a side arm of course.

·
Super Moderator
35,997 Posts
I don't care for AKs, have a personal prejudice for ARs. I like the ergos better and the accuracy is far superior. I have a thing for accurate rifles. Don't let the AK fanboys tell you an AR can't fire 2 rounds without jamming. It just ain't true. Mine's been flawless.

·
Super Moderator
22,316 Posts
I've owned both and the AK just could not hold up to either of my AR15'S. Under 100 yards the AK is a harder hitting gun. But the AR is far more accurate out to 400 yards. And believe it or not can take deer and hogs. I doubt the AK would be anymore efective on a bear. Either one would take multiple rounds to stop a bear. The AR wins for me.
This is my opinion and others may vary. So it really boils down to personal preference!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
Now that is a loaded question. Almost like 9mm vs .40S&W....

I have both, but would have enjoyed a third (very viable) option - the SKS, and that for most applications, the SKS is every bit as effective as an AR, with the reliability and simplicity that might be required for a zombie apocalypse with the heavy hitting 7.62 round and pretty darned accurate.

I'd say that an AR platform provides a versatility, however, that an AK/SKS platform can't match. You can have an extra upper for your AR and get the same (nearly) hard hitting round that the SKS/AK platform provides, but keep the weight down on the platform; then swap uppers again and use a .224 Valkyrie to reach out to over 1000 yards with consistency. Lots of options with the AR platform, not so many with the AK/SKS.

223 ammo would probably be the easiest to find in the US, but 7.62x39 would probably be a close second.

I'd probably take the AR for the versatility factor more than anything else.

·
Super Moderator
35,997 Posts
Well, I have to admit, I do not worry about apocalypses not do I believe in zombies. My opinion is based only on the merits of the two weapons. I do have a hunting bias, probably why I owned neither until the last election.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I think both are capable weapons but if it is a SHTF scenario and we are located in the good ole US of A I am taking the AR. Parts and ammo are going to be a whole lot easier to scavenge for the AR around these parts. Now if I was elsewhere in the world I might have to choose the AK for the same reasons.

·
Registered
30,114 Posts
I never cared for AR's they're hanger queens, too high maintenance, in my opinion. I like the dependability and ruggedness of the AK platform. Plus I like the 7.62x39 round better than I like the 5.56 Nato.

Just my 2¢.

·
Premium Member
8,351 Posts
I have an AR- would like an AK- but would probably trade them both for a good surplus GI M1 in 7.62. That was the first rifle the Army put in my hands and I qualified Expert with it, so there are fond memories attached to that hard hitting SOB...

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
I'm one to tell you an AR can do it. I have one with a true NATO spec chamber that can run a few thousand rounds with out cleaning it other than to wipe it down, and put a few drops of Break Free in the carrier exhaust port in the evening (carbon residue will blow out on the next firing :D).

I've messed with both platforms since 1982. The only AK type rifles to match a standard AR accuracy are Valmet and Galil, and you'll pay a lot more for them than an AR. My recommendations is if you are unsure, go with a basic S&W M&P-15 Sport II. It's the ideal model to start with and build off of if you so desire.

Put a Rock River NM trigger in it and don't look back.

Maloy

·
Administrator
41,483 Posts
Gotta go with the AR, for all the reasons already stated above. :thumb:

Reactions: Yissnakk

·
Registered
5,638 Posts
Considering that ammo would become a premium, and every shot would need to count, I would choose the AR. It's a much more precision platform. And it's not nearly as finicky as some would say. Ammo is lighter, so you can carry a little more. (If you have it). I think it's more versatile than the AK. Disclaimer-- I have a lot more experience with the AR platform, so am probably a little more biased.

Reactions: Yissnakk

·
Registered
5,638 Posts
I'm one to tell you an AR can do it. I have one with a true NATO spec chamber that can run a few thousand rounds with out cleaning it other than to wipe it down, and put a few drops of Break Free in the carrier exhaust port in the evening (carbon residue will blow out on the next firing :D).

I've messed with both platforms since 1982. The only AK type rifles to match a standard AR accuracy are Valmet and Galil, and you'll pay a lot more for them than an AR. My recommendations is if you are unsure, go with a basic S&W M&P-15 Sport II. It's the ideal model to start with and build off of if you so desire.

Put a Rock River NM trigger in it and don't look back.

Maloy
Good call. Mine's a Rock River LAR/Coyote. 22" bull, NM 2 stage and a Leupold Mk AR scope. Great gun. Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Air gun

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.