Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys I'm looking to replace the wood stock on my 1960 with a collapsible stock and would like recommendations. I've been looking at ATI but I hear their products can be a bit weak at times and may not stand up to hard use. How about UTG?

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So far the only options I've seen that will fit my gun require some type of modification to the receiver. Any way I can get away without doing that?

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
ACE Ltd. Online Store
You can buy straight from Ace. These are really nice stocks and look very good on the gun

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
i have a wasr10-63 with timber smith wood on it , i had too modify it a little (screws would come loose) but it is good looking wood and 1 inch longer

·
Registered
518 Posts
I got my first Mak 90, Installed a bunch of Tapco, ATI stuff , realized that a plastic AK was akin to a M1 Garad with a Synthetic stock. Changed it Back to wood. Somethings should stay wooden, whatever you do, make sure it's 922r compliant

Attachments

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Yeah I've tried the Tapco stuff and frankly if your wanting to put a colapsing stock best to go with an aluminum buffer tube adapter and use a good magpul stock, much much better then a tapco T6... now the T6 works but frankly is kinda cheap feeling for a rifle. Might be fine to throw on something less expensive like a WASR if you just want to play around, and the stock does work well enough just if it were me I'd spend the extra and go aluminum. I will say from what I've seen Tapco is abit better then ATI, but not a whole lot. I will say Tapco has GREAT customer service however I've ruined two of their buttstocks... one was a T6, the other a timbersmith by using power tools to install them and basically not reading the directions, they replaced them no questions asked.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
49790 - TAPCO AK T6 Collapsible Stock for Milled Receivers Black

I have the Tapco on my Romanian SAR-1. No, it's no Ace stock or Magpul, but when I got tired of the sore shoulder from the metal butt cap on the original stock I added the Tapco and added their rubber pad to it. Now I think I could stand their and rattle away the ammo until the gun lit on fire. I didn't want it to look all tactiweenie, but being able to shoot it and not cause pain was getting high on my list. I do have an Ace shorty stock on an AR and will say Ace makes top quality stuff. But the Tapco works just fine for my needs.

My " I swear I didn't mean to go tactiweenie" AK:

I just wanted a better grip and padded stock and then it turned into it. It's really a fun rifle though. She has a little trigger slap that I keep meaning to see if a G2 trigger would fix.

·
Super Moderator
21,440 Posts

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
21,440 Posts
I don't know I had it back a few years ago. And it was on a Romanian AK.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Will that fit on a slant cut milled receiver?
Well I'm not sure about the different cuts I don't have much familiarity with milled receivers but I know the add does say it's for a milled gun. Now I assume their all the same but I'm not sure, my AK is a stamped receiver. I know it's very solid and with the magpul stock it has a very firm fit. I'm not really knocking tapco, I have a T6 stock as well I tried it. It works and it's economical just I'm much happier with the magpul/AK tube combo. Tapco has great customer service, infact I ruined two of their stocks using power tools to install them and not reading the directions (one was the T6 and the other a premium red stock) and they replaced both of them, no questions asked, and actually sent me a prepaid shipping label if I remember right. I'd say for 90% of the people of there there is nothing at all wrong with tapco stuff, I just have a custom build AK and I wanted to take the rifle to the next level you know what I mean. On a knock around WASR I had as just something to have if I got another one I'd prolly throw the tapco stuff on it and be done with it. It does looks kinda tactiweenie lol but the stuff does work. It's all in what you want to do... but you can have almost 150 in a buffer tube and magpul stock and I think the tapco stuff runs less then a third of that price.

I'll always love the look of a classic AK, but for a 6'4" american guy, the short 'ruskie' stock just is about as useful as a one legged man in an ass kicking contest. Infact I was out shooting my Polish Tantal this weekend and that stock is so dang short when I had it on a range bag my "cheek weld" was right up next to the button on the back of the dust cover =P good thing that rifle recoils pretty light so it didn't bug me.... to much...

·
Premium Member
10,958 Posts
I had Tapco on my Saiga 308, but it didn't hold up very well. I replaced it with an ATI aluminum buffer tube and stock, and a Mako styled handgrip.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
I had Tapco on my Saiga 308, but it didn't hold up very well. I replaced it with an ATI aluminum buffer tube and stock, and a Mako styled handgrip.
Glad you said that I have a Saiga 12 I'll be converting in the future and I was going to stick my T6 on it to get by. Now I won't bother don't want to ruin a good stock blasting 12 gauge rounds through it.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts

I love this picture soooooo much.
tell that to this dude =P I think the bit that takes the cake for me is he put a UTG railed foreend and a dogleg rail across the top of the receiver, then put flip up sites across it =P I honestly think this rifle is the owner trying to be funny I mean I look at it and I say "no one could put all that crap on a rifle and be serious!"

1 - 20 of 27 Posts