Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
It's got alot of interesting improvements, though now I feel it's more AR than AK anymore. I do like the idea of the quad-stack magazine, let's just hope it's more reliable than the drums are. Sometimes there is such a think as too many improvements, and we'll see how successful this will be. Hopefully it will drive the price of old 47's & 74's down and we'll get some of the 10 million they have stockpiled into the U.S. over the next year or two. I doubt they'll get away with the 'Hunting Rifle' designation that got Taiga's brought over to the states so easily.

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
Nice. "Whilst it is not pretty, in fact it is downright ugly,..." Personally for me that has always been part of its charm!

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
a new toy for the world to show us its industructablilty, and i want one (guess ill have to wait)

·
Premium Member
10,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually from what I've read all they really did was take a commercial Saiga and militarize it. The only differences are the longer sight picture and the safety/selector switch. The new safety looks a lot like some of the Saiga aftermarket mod attempts I've seen. If you go to some of the AK/Saiga parts websites, you'll see an awful lot of accessories that make your AK look just like that. Since the Russian army high command has said they're not buying anymore rifles anytime soon, and with western calibers are included, this looks like an attempt to compete with western designs on the international market.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Ya know it comes off as a Saiga they added a bunch of stuff that are typical mods on the aftermarket here in the US and put it on the rifle. Shot show this year a company came out with a left hand charging handle that you replace the gas block with it and I guess replace the piston. Wouldn't be hard to make that swappable and then you wouldn't need the huge port on the right side and the charging handle. Aside from the stock, grip looks similar to a Hogue to me and they added a hinge to the dust cover and a peep site on the end. Should prove to be durable for sure though.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Interesting. It looks like they might have used the FN SCAR as a basis, at least cosmetically. By the way, I thought right away (just as CJ said) that it might be a design to be sold to the world market.

·
Administrator
17,595 Posts
I like the Rear Sight moved back to the Top Cover, but wonder if that Top Cover is any more stable for optics than the old ones were. Glad they udated the Safety as well. I'm wondering just how effective the improved Barrel Rifling is?

Have thought about mounting some sort of Rear Sight to my AKM's Top Cover. Currently using an Ultimak Optics mount with a Hammer Red/Green Dot Sight. AK 47 Accessories AK 47 Scope Mount

The Forward Charging handle idea was already done in Dublin, so they may have copied that. AK Ratchet Charging

This may be just a prototype, but it is interesting to see the improvements made. Would like one in 7.62x39mm. I'm too addicted with my L1A1 FN FAL to care about one in 7.62x51mm NATO, but I could see getting one in 5.56x45mm NATO.

Reactions: Benton
1 - 10 of 10 Posts