Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been practicing drawing from this position. And when reholstering I always lean back and push my hips forward keeping my finger off the trigger. But is this something I should do when first drawing the gun? I've been practicing getting into my shooting stance before I draw so I'm leaning forward. Just wondering if it's right or wrong. Thoughts about this from people, who have more experience on this than I do. Thanks

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I know this is not your question but however you decide to do it, you need to be moving either backwards are side ways !

Reactions: Konyo312 and Dave

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
My main concern with Appendix carry is the number of vital tissue that the gun is pointing at when in that holster and during the draw process - femoral artery, twig and berries, feet...all things that I need for one reason or other.

I would also not be concerned with getting into any stance before trying to draw your weapon. First order of business in any fire-fight type situation is to seek cover and/or concealment. You can practice drawing while getting yourself out of any potential lines of fire. Additionally, assuming a stance before drawing makes it much more difficult to get a grip on the gun - especially in Appendix carry.

Just my opinions. I carry in a belly band with guns at 3 and 9 o'clock.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I have tried appendix carry - it is fine when standing, but sitting is simply not comfortable.

Ditto to Yissnakk on the 3&9 o'clock carry - it is just more comfortable.

If concealment is your goal, crossdraw will serve you better than appendix as the muzzle won't cover the important organs listed above.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Where is your trigger finger when you draw the weapon? Depending on the weapon and the size of your hands, you might try laying it on the slide and engage the trigger when you decide to shoot. Reholstering would be the reverse.

Reactions: Konyo312

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Trigger finger is straight on the holster when starting the draw then straight on the frame thru establishing a 2 hand grip, full arm extension. Front sight is clear then if I decide to shot finger goes on the trigger.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I find that (for me at least) the most efficient way to AIWB is to cross body draw (so 11:30 or so) with a wedge on the holster to minimize printing. Doing this makes it A Lot more comfortable while sitting, and the holster for the spectrum doesn't need a wedge or anything- it's so light and small that no one notices it. I also don't have clips with it, it's held by an ulticlip.

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
I carry a Glock 23 appendix. In the numerous classes I've taken this way, I haven't been taught, nor do I do as you asked about. As I clear the holster, I rotate my wrist slightly to point the gun away from me as I bring it up to preaentation. One thing to add to your reholstering process, is drop that right leg back a step, then squeeze the cheeks and push the hips forward.

Sitting or bending is no issue with a good holster. This holster came with a different clip for a 1.75" belt, and it was too big for a 1.5" belt. For a week, it rode up, tried to flip out of my pants. It was a headache. This clip came in saturday, and it made a huge difference. I contemplated selling this holster that was not a week old. Granted it took me about 2 weeks of pain and discomfort to get used to it. After that, no pain or issue at all. Sitting, driving, lounging in the couch, bent over putting on shoes. FWIW, I'm 5'8 195lbs. I've lost 30 since Jan 1, but have been carrying appendix at 225 lbs.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
20,013 Posts
Trigger finger is straight on the holster when starting the draw then straight on the frame thru establishing a 2 hand grip, full arm extension. Front sight is clear then if I decide to shot finger goes on the trigger.
What weapon do you carry? From the perspective of is it DA, SA, revolver, employ a safety, etc.

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
I've been practicing drawing from this position. And when reholstering I always lean back and push my hips forward keeping my finger off the trigger. But is this something I should do when first drawing the gun? I've been practicing getting into my shooting stance before I draw so I'm leaning forward. Just wondering if it's right or wrong. Thoughts about this from people, who have more experience on this than I do. Thanks
I've never had to but that's me. I tend to stand straight until the gun clears the holster and then start the lean into a more aggressive shooting stance as part of the presentation onto the target. If you feel that it gives you better access to the holster, then have at it.

I also agree with aquajim, if you use it, there's be plenty of time to reholster.

And I must apologize for the rest. Appendix carry makes some folks nervous enough to forget their manners and they start expressing opinions rather than answering your question.

Reactions: youngandfree

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What weapon do you carry? From the perspective of is it DA, SA, revolver, employ a safety, etc.
taurus pt111 g2 with the safety on, flip it off when 2 handed grip is established

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I've never had to but that's me. I tend to stand straight until the gun clears the holster and then start the lean into a more aggressive shooting stance as part of the presentation onto the target. If you feel that it gives you better access to the holster, then have at it.

I also agree with aquajim, if you use it, there's be plenty of time to reholster.

And I must apologize for the rest. Appendix carry makes some folks nervous enough to forget their manners and they start expressing opinions rather than answering your question.
The other day I had time and tried drawing with my back straighter and the lean forward when I extend my arms. Seemed to work fine. I just wanted to make sure I was on the right track. You hear about leaning back and pushing your hips out when reholstering, but nothing about drawing. Except clear clothing, get a firing grip in the holster. Pull straight out, 2 handed grip, then extend. Also need to work on moving then drawing, or drawing while moving that was suggested.

·
Registered
330 Posts
First off I second the posts emphasizing being safe while practicing and carrying. I would also suggest reconsidering appendix carry for something else, but we must all work out our own salvation, as the saying goes.

I would not assume a "shooting stance" until the gun is drawn. Here is something else worth thinking about.

From what you've stated here, it sounds like your practice focuses on drawing your weapon quickly and shooting from eye level, with both hands on the gun. A fast draw is most imperative at very close range, which is where most shootings occur. At the distances that muggings and carjackings typically occur at, usually under 3 yards, it is worth being able to shoot from hip level, so it makes a lot of sense for you to practice your draw, from appendix or elsewhere, with hip shooting for the greatest speed off the draw possible. At greater distances, a fast draw is useful but less essential, as your best chance if already being shot at from a distance is to run zig zag for cover, and then draw and shoot.

·
Registered
15,149 Posts
Unload for CCW and load it with snapcaps. Then videotape your draw and reholstering a few times. Seeing it on video helps determine where your weaknesses are in unholstering and reholstering. Once you have an idea and what you're doing, then you can make changes to improve your technique.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
We are not necessarily trying to dissuade you from this form of concealed carry. Instead, we are mostly encouraging you (and anyone else who happens to be reading this thread) to take supreme caution and care with it.

You don't get an Undo or Do Over if your gun goes off while pointed at your arteries or your family jewelry.

Cases in point:

https://www.usacarry.com/concealed-carrier-accidentally-shoots-self-theater/

https://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2015/08/23/man-dies-attempting-appendix-carry-reholster-milkwaukee/

https://guncarrier.com/video-man-shoots-his-own-leg-narrowly-missing-artery-lives-to-tell-tale/

I recommend you remove your holster, seat the gun, then return it to your appendix carry position.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Something to consider, I know that IDPA doesn't allow Cross Draw because you sweep the people standing next to you with a loaded firearm, and in a real life situation it's easier for your attacker to pin your drawing arm against your body!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts