Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone AIWB (Appendix Inside Waist Band) carry in a cross-draw position? I find it very workable when I am driving for a long time. I know folks dislike the cross-draw because of the sweep danger, but if I am in a SHTF situation the last thing I will worry about is someone complaining about getting swept.

I have carried a BUG that way very comfortably, too. Much more comfortable than ankle or pocket carry when I have my primary EDC at 03:30.

I occasionally carry my 709 Slim in that position when it is my primary, too. I would not consider carrying a 24/7 that way, but I think the 709 works well.

I would be interested to know if anyone else uses AIWB with the cross draw.

·
Registered
28,087 Posts
I'm not comfortable having a gun pointed at either my danglies or my femoral artery.
OK, depending on exactly how you carry, those may be an exaggeration, but in any case I would not consider the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would that apply to appendix carry at 02:00 and at 22:00? I notice some folks are going the AIWB on the right-hand side but rarely hear anyone using the cross draw.

I agree the weapon would be pointed in a dangerous direction. Serious issue.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
CrossBreed has an IWB holster that works well both in crossdraw and appendix carry. Just got to warn you that if you wear pants that sit low on your hips it will dig into leg when driving. This holster has the holes pre-cut for a number of carry options. This holster is left handed and I think it was set up for strong side carry in this photo.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
I prefer x draw at the 9, 10 or 11 o'clock position...depending on fit and clothing. Still keeping my eyes open for cross draw holster...using Remora for the time being.

I think there is a market for the x draw holster. A lot of antiquated ideas surround the actual use of the positioning of the x draw, the draw of the weapon, fear of sweeping and civilian need for speed. This ain't Dodge City ya know (and I lived in Dodge City and flirted with the girls who worked the souvenir shop at Boot Hill many moons ago)!

I am leery of having a gun pointed directly at evolutions only chance for improvement. This is probably more of an "instinctual fear" than a rationally based one but it is still a concern.

Reactions: GunsandNoses

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
I just got an idea stimulated by something someone said on another board about gesturing. For those of us who like x draw, consider this. Assuming you have some time to see a threat developing: You can cross your arms together to have your hand near your gun with no one seeing it so you can not be accused of branding!

Better idea based on above, crossed arms or hands holding on to crossed wrists (looks like you have an upset stomach): leave enough buttons (wearing a large shirt helps) undone at the bottom of shirt so that your hand is on the gun! Hard to get quicker than that if gun is needed.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Cross draw when driving is not problematic in my opinion. Appendix carry while seated is only safe is you have a manual safety. Most modern guns will not fire unless you pull the trigger, so how you carry it is not the issue. How you guard the trigger is the issue.

Just my opinion. Not like it is the truth or anything -:)

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I like crossdraw but cannot find a holster with enough cant, they are all too vertical for me.

Reactions: aphdmansoc

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Reactions: GunsandNoses

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I carry crossdraw appendix, just left of my belt. I use a cheapo nylon holster $15 shipped on ebay. ( I have half a dozen and it's the most comfortable) It has lasted a year of EDC without a trace of wear and when I take it out, I can't ell I have a holster on. I shoot in a weaver stance so when I draw, I sweep nothing but the target and can draw this way and be on target much faster this way. It is actually a VERY natural and clean draw. I can sit for hours without my PT145 biting me and I wear lower waisted jeans and have a bit of a gut to contend with at 6' - 230 lbs (although I am making progress on that front). I do carry with the safety on and am incredibly careful when holstering as that is when I think the most danger would be of a ND. I am always willing to try a new holster but it is tough to find one that rides low enough and can be used to crossdraw.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts