Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a whim I took a look at the Airsoft guns at WalMart today. They had a Taurus replica of a PT111, so I took a gamble for $14 and bought it. Surprisingly, aside from the weight, it is VERY close to my PT145. It actually fits in my Fobus holster (not perfect, but good enough). It has the mag release and safety in the same spot as the PT145.

I figured it would be a great way to practice drawing and using the safety, without adding wear to the real gun. Plus, airsoft pellets are $3.00 for 1,000. That's a lot cheaper than the real .45ACP ammo!!!

Anyway, of course this will not take the plac of real practice with the PT145, but for holstering and drawing exercises, I think it'll be a cheap way to practice.

Todd

·
Registered
17 Posts
Airsoft is excellent practice for drawing, presenting, and getting on target.  If the means are there to purchase one of the more expensive airsoft pistols with the "blowback" feature (the slide actually cycles with each shot), then you are able to do some real force-on-force training.  Of course, this also requires another individual to get one and be willing to be shot with pellets.

I'm in the market for one of the more expensive models to practice with, but the Mil Pros haven't been out long enough for someone to make a replica of quite yet.  I'm thinking about getting a 3in 1911 (since their about the same dimensions as a pt111) to practice force-on-force.  The only problem with that is I can't use my leather holster for my pt111.  I'd have to get another cheapo holster to use that is similar.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Airsoft is a great way to practice lots of different things -relatively- safe. But BoneDigger is right, it is no substitute for live-fire practice.

For instance, I can hit a moving target at 30 meters with my upgraded electric powered airsoft rifle. Which sadly is not something I can do with 7.62 with the same success rate. :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Airsoft is great for fun, and thinking this way would be great practice for CCW/drawing, etc. Oh, BTW, those pellets hurt....especially at close range.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I drive an 18 wheeler so range time is rather sporadic. I keep an airsoft in the truck just to practice drawing and target acquisition. However it gets real exciting when I miss the target and have that little ball riccocheting around in there. OK, I'm not THAT bad a shot; I just like to try instinctive shooting with the airsoft, Idon't try it with live ammo unless I'm at a private spot and no one around (mainly to avoid embarrassment).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts