Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In my absence, and due to buying a new house, getting cleaned out by a burglary that keeps me at home most of the time, so I don't get to shoot my PB's very often anymore...

I got into air guns. Mostly to eradicate pests like chipmunks, rats and tree rats, but I can also shoot in my urban setting without disturbing my neighbors.

Currently I have a Benjamin Fortitude .177, two Nova Vista Freedoms in .177 and one in .22. All of these are PCP's. Pre-Charged Pneumatic air guns

The only working air rifle I have is the Fortitude.

I also have several Beeman P17 pistols (SSP, Single Stroke Pneumatic) because I caught them on sale at the ridiculous price of $7.50 per on Amazon a while back. I gave away most of them as gifts.

OK, enough about me! Is anyone interested in talking about air guns here? If not, no biggee. :)

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
I have 6, I think.
3 rifles and 3 handguns including one in 22 caliber.
I haven't shot any of them in at least 2 or 3 years.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have 6, I think.
3 rifles and 3 handguns including one in 22 caliber.
I haven't shot any of them in at least 2 or 3 years.

What type are they? Break barrel, PCP, CO2, pumpers? The main reason I got more into air guns was for pest control in an urban setting. However, I can also shoot them indoors. I have 10 meters inside.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I only have one. 1968 Sheridan blue streak. For those not into air rifles, its a 5mm or 20cal. pump, rocker safety. It came in blue or nickel silver. The blue streak or the silver streak. I am told that it is the best pump gun ever made. Look on any air gun forum and any collector has at least one. I know why, extremely accurate and powerful. My gun looks and shoots like new.
This three shot group was at 40 steps at seven pumps!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
I paid to have the Crosman 180 (CO2, .22) that I learned to shoot on refurb'd by Precision Pellet a couple or three of years ago.

That fall, the squirrels were overrunning the fruit trees badly and were getting too bold to boot. The first one I got was on the ground about 15 yards from the house when I hit him in the right shoulder. I found the pellet just under the skin on his left hip.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Blue Streak is legendary! However, 40 steps doesn't tell us much. How much is that in feet and/or yards? I ask because I have tried to step off measurements and although I was fairly accurate (I was in marching band and we had to hit the hash marks and yardage lines on the football field (a long time ago)) when I actually measured with a tape measure, I was always off more than I thought I would be. Especially if more than 8 or 12 steps were involved. ;) I still want to get a decent rangefinder, but other things (bills) always seem to push that wish down in priority. ;D

I forgot to mention that I also have a Crosman 1377. It is a "newer" model, although I don't know the year. I did have a 1975-76 model that I had from new, but it was also stolen when I was burglarized back in February, 2019. The 1377's are pretty accurate, but harder for the shooter to be accurate (at least for me). The Beeman P17, is more accurate and much easier to be accurate with for the shooter. IMHO

I only have one. 1968 Sheridan blue streak. For those not into air rifles, its a 5mm or 20cal. pump, rocker safety. It came in blue or nickel silver. The blue streak or the silver streak. I am told that it is the best pump gun ever made. Look on any air gun forum and any collector has at least one. I know why, extremely accurate and powerful. My gun looks and shoots like new.
This three shot group was at 40 steps at seven pumps!

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
The Blue Streak is legendary! However, 40 steps doesn't tell us much. How much is that in feet and/or yards? I ask because I have tried to step off measurements and although I was fairly accurate (I was in marching band and we had to hit the hash marks and yardage lines on the football field (a long time ago)) when I actually measured with a tape measure, I was always off more than I thought I would be. Especially if more than 8 or 12 steps were involved. ;) I still want to get a decent rangefinder, but other things (bills) always seem to push that wish down in priority. ;D

I forgot to mention that I also have a Crosman 1377. It is a "newer" model, although I don't know the year. I did have a 1975-76 model that I had from new, but it was also stolen when I was burglarized back in February, 2019. The 1377's are pretty accurate, but harder for the shooter to be accurate (at least for me). The Beeman P17, is more accurate and much easier to be accurate with for the shooter. IMHO
40yards. I have a three foot stride. I step off the 50 and 100 yard berm just about ever time at the range just to see. But i can pull a tape as the board was against the fence and a was shooting off the patio table as a bench.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For pest control I shoot Crosman 10.5 grain domed pellets out of the Benjamin Fortitude at about 730-750 fps MV, which is from 12.42 to 13.11 fpe at the muzzle. At 25 yards I sometimes get pass through depending on if I am trying for a head shot or a heart lung shot on a tree rat. At one time I had access to shoot out to 55-60 yards, but no longer. Even at that range shooting the same MV, I was able to make head shots on chipmunks, rats and tree rats but I usually went for the heart lung shot because it was less messy. Head shot, the heart often keeps beating for a while, although the brain is dead. Heart lung shot, if done well, the heart is stopped immediately, so there is no blood flow and death is just about as quick and no nerve twitching as there usually is with even a perfect head shot.

At 15 yards, I usually get pass through unless it is oriented so the shot can travel into the body without exiting.

I paid to have the Crosman 180 (CO2, .22) that I learned to shoot on refurb'd by Precision Pellet a couple or three of years ago.

That fall, the squirrels were overrunning the fruit trees badly and were getting too bold to boot. The first one I got was on the ground about 15 yards from the house when I hit him in the right shoulder. I found the pellet just under the skin on his left hip.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I gave my 1377 American Classic Crossman pistol to my cousins 13 year old last fall.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
This might be something of interest on this thread:

·
Registered
31,700 Posts
Airguns have always been an important part of my firearm collection, beginning with a Sheridan Silver Streak .20 cal. when I was 9.

Later on in life, when tree rats seemed to want to take over my humble estate, I began getting Benjamin 392, .22 cal pump ups. I kept track for 7 years and averaged 57 tree rats a year. I then ordered a .392 with an integrated 3 x 9 power scope and later, a Benjamin .22 cal CO2 also with a integrated 3 x 9 scope, which is my current tree rat killer.

Air rifles are a mainstay of any survival firearm collection and food getter....that is, as long as you don't mind all the Dove tasting like dog and cat food! :) My Sheridans and Benjamins have always been tack-drivers.

Reactions: Ickthus

·
Registered
998 Posts
I have had, over the years, a good few air rifles. Webley, Falcon, Air Arms and even a Daystate. Only the Webley was a break-barrel. Now here's a little airgun info for you guys to ponder. You'll all be aware by now of the vagaries of British firearms laws, well it extends even to airguns..!!

You can buy, over the counter, an air rifle, providing it's maximum power rating is 12ft lbs or less. If it is rated above that figure it is classed as a firearm and you would need a licence (and good reason) to own it. Air pistols are slightly different. You can buy, over the counter, an air pistol with a maximum power rating of 6 ft lbs. But, because handguns have been banned in the UK, you cannot have anything over the 6ft lbs as that would constitute a 'firearm' which would make it a banned weapon..

Air rifle shooters have to be very careful because should the police, for whatever reason, take your air rifle to 'test' it they will use any old ammo they have. Now it may well be that you have found a particular brand that works well, is accurate and consistent. The police, in a test, may well use ammo that is lighter in weight giving a higher chrono reading and, possibly, putting your air rifle over the legal 12 ft lbs limit..!!

Regardless of the advances in technology the best air rifle I had was the break barrel Webley Patriot. On my firearms licence it was rated at 40ft lbs and was devastating on rabbits out to 40 yards. Of course its a known fact that the two worlds best air rifle makers are British.. Air Arms and Daystate. But you'd better have a well filled wallet to buy their products.

https://daystate.com/product-range/

https://www.air-arms.co.uk/

·
Registered
810 Posts
as a fathers day gift, my son upgraded me from a beeman R2 to a gamo bone collector. Primarily to move up to a gas piston but also to try their scope shock absorbing mount, having had 2 scopes shoot apart(yes they were low end). both were .22 and used to keep squirrels at bay. Very happy with the gamo. incredibly lighter, smoother to cock and outstanding accuracy. the fairly cheap scope that came with it has worked well. holding adjustment and adjusting correctly. Best pellet so far for pest has been the gamo red fire (really hard to find and outrageous expensive when you do) followed by the h&n terminator. both shoot really well and expand well at the 700-800 fps velocity. The newer version has a 10 round magazine but the price on the ond siingle shot version was unbeatable.
I did break it down and upgrade the piston seal with one from Custom Air Seals of australia. Really easy job. took the opportunity to deburr things and clean out the oil and dirt. Any yes, the factory seal did have nicks from assembly with all the sharp edges. you can change out the trigger adjustment screw with a longer one that allows you to really adjust the trigger down to non-lawyer approved weight. $0.25 at Ace and you no longer need the $30 or more trigger upgrade

·
Registered
810 Posts
FYI squirrel count now 100+ but target opportunities are down from multiple a day to one or 2 a week. I had pix of the expanded pellet, but lost it and pellet is gone being kind of gross what with hair and meat in the expanded cavity....

·
Registered
589 Posts
Daisy Model 21 since I was 12 or so, made between 1968 & 1970, I got it for Xmas around 79, set of the lumber yard shelf a long time. I should sell it.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
What type are they? Break barrel, PCP, CO2, pumpers? The main reason I got more into air guns was for pest control in an urban setting. However, I can also shoot them indoors. I have 10 meters inside.
My oldest is a daisy where the space between the inner (real) barrel and the outer barrel stores the BBs.
I also have a Daisy (.177 pellets only) where the barrel is the cocking lever.
A Chinese rifle .177 pellet rifle with the cocking lever under the barrel.
A Chinese .177 pellet pistol.
A Crosman .22 model 1377? pump pistol. It needs rebuilding.
And of course a Walther (made for Crosman) CO2 powered BB pistol.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
We have 4 here; a pair of Crossman 760's (one from 1976 the other from 2010), a Daisy Powerline 15XT and a Daisy Red Rider (which I keep in the safe because you might shoot your eye out with it).
What sucks is AirForce airguns is about 5 miles down the road from me and I haven't stopped by there yet.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I have a few.

1. RWS Diana 45 .177 bought in early 80's and still works fine.
2. Gamo Bull Whisper .177 (built in suppressor)
3. Sheridan/Benjamin 5mm Blue Streak. (Needs a rebuild kit)
4. Sig P320 CO2 .177

Maloy

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
I have a few.

1. RWS Diana 45 .177 bought in early 80's and still works fine.
2. Gamo Bull Whisper .177 (built in suppressor)
3. Sheridan/Benjamin 5mm Blue Streak. (Needs a rebuild kit)
4. Sig P320 CO2 .177

Maloy
When you are ready for the rebuild on the Sheridan, I can vouch for Rick at Precision Pellet. The rebuild on our Crosman 180 was fantastic. The reblue actually looks better than new.

Precision Pellet - || Welcome ||

1 - 20 of 22 Posts