Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

Greetings from Florida! So I'll get right to the point here...

I'm looking to buy a Taurus 617 (7 shot, 2" barrel), and am stuck between the 617ss2 and the Aimpro edition 617 that comes in the "First 24" kit. I'll be honest, I could care less about the other supplies that come in the First 24 kit, but like the modifications that Aimpro did to the 617 that comes in this kit.

Questions:
- Does anybody have the Aimpro 617, and how do they like it?
- Anybody able to compare the two?
- Is the Aimpro 617 still being manufactured, and if so can you buy it without the kit?
- Lastly, I cannot find a 617 at any of my local gun shops. Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Also, I was considering the 2.5" S&W 686+, but I feel that it's too big to be an every day carry - thoughts?

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
11,209 Posts
I'm not sure anyone on here has bought the kit. If you're sure about a 617, you could always get one and have a gunsmith do the changes to match the Aimpro 617. As far as availability goes Taurus firearms, in general, are getting hard to find unless you're looking for a Millennium G2. Good luck on your quest, and welcome to the best gun forum on the net.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I can't provide a comparison. I own a 617 SS and like it as much as my S&W 686 {4"}. The 617 is heavier than my preferred 85 UL's for carry. However, if required for daily use, it would be on my person as a first choice.

Take a look on Gunbroker. They have a few Kits as well as solo 617's.

At current level of available inventories, and a noticeable inching of unit pricing, its possible your choices may become limited. {Considering both market demand and pricing}

Good luck with your search and decision on a model.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't provide a comparison. I own a 617 SS and like it as much as my S&W 686 {4"}. The 617 is heavier than my preferred 85 UL's for carry. However, if required for daily use, it would be on my person as a first choice.

Take a look on Gunbroker. They have a few Kits as well as solo 617's.

At current level of available inventories, and a noticeable inching of unit pricing, its possible your choices may become limited. {Considering both market demand and pricing}

Good luck with your search and decision on a model.

Thanks! I've never bought a gun online. Any experience using gun broker?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yes.

Purchased a 2" M 94 from a vendor involved with this site.

My experience was positive. Just follow the guidelines of selecting your FFL for the firearm transfer and keep all parties within the communication loop.

While I prefer to buy local, I would definitely go through the process again if I found something I wanted, and could not find at a local dealer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the First24 kit with 617. The kit was new on sale online for the price of the 617 alone, couldn't go wrong.
I have yet to fire a round but the 617 looks and feels very nice. The trigger feels great. It's borderline too big for my hand. I got a Pachmeyr grip for it, but kept the stock grip on her. I called Taurus and if I recall they have a Combat grip that fits, so going to order that.
Anyway, don't know if this helps at all but if you shop carefully you can get the Aimpro modded 617 with speedloaders and all for cheap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts